Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2016, 07:30 AM

29 posts, read 20,577 times

Advertisements

Good morning, I have posted before about considering a future move to LA. In about a month I will be going out for a week and want to make the best of my trip. I am already planning to do a sky dive, want to do hiking and enjoy biking but don't know many good places to bike yet. I obviously won't have my road bike with my on my trip but am willing to rent something decent. Don't mind a mountain bike for trails. I plan to do a lot of outdoor activities and want to hear your top choices. I want to make a trip to lake Tahoe while I'm there.. Any other major areas I should explore? I don't mind driving as I will have a rental. My goal is to get the best outdoor experience I can of LA. Don't really care for amusement parks as we have those here in FL... Any and all input is appreciated. Ready to start seriously planning everything down by day now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2016, 08:48 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
If you want a serious group ride rent a bike and go to the Montrose ride Saturday morning:

SoCalCycling.com

If you want something mellower just go to Griffith Park. You can ride the park and LA River path. There is bike rental at GP but I think its mostly hybrid and cruiser type bikes

Old 07-18-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
If you want a serious group ride rent a bike and go to the Montrose ride Saturday morning:

SoCalCycling.com

If you want something mellower just go to Griffith Park. You can ride the park and LA River path. There is bike rental at GP but I think its mostly hybrid and cruiser type bikes
Thanks, going to look into this. I mostly ride road but knowing the kind of environment I will be in, I am open to other kinds of riding.

Old 07-18-2016, 10:49 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkedem1 View Post
Thanks, going to look into this. I mostly ride road but knowing the kind of environment I will be in, I am open to other kinds of riding.
This is serious road cycling country out here. There is a lot of serious mountain biking too. But there are a lot of mountain roads right around Los Angeles that are popular. Angeles Crest highway and GMR are popular rides but I wouldn't do them alone not being familiar with the area. The Montrose ride is a fairly serious group/race training ride and there are upwards of a 100 people on any given Saturday especially during the race season. It's a pretty flat, fast 40 or 60 mile ride depending on which option you take. Very fun but not for the faint of heart if you are not used to riding in a big group.

Griffith Park is all paved roads but you can do a good amount of climbing and go up to the Observatory and have a great view of LA and the Hollywood sign. Between the park and river trail you can easily do a 30 miles

Old 07-18-2016, 10:56 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
To add on to ryanms3030's comments, if you'll be staying on the westside, you can also catch group rides out of santa monica. show up to the corner of san vicente and ocean any between 7-8am on a sat/sun morning and you'll see dozens of riders preparing to head north up PCH. there are some fantastic climbs that direction as well, but again, not for the faint if you aren't comfortable riding near moving traffic along PCH.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:09 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,840 times
If you like downhill mountain biking there are some fast trails down in Laguna Hills. To double-up and also get some good hiking, I suggest parking @ Top of the World.

Old 07-18-2016, 11:24 AM

Also, I will be staying primarily in Buena Park.. Any tips on this? I am going to be moving around from time to time so I may end up somewhere else a few nights. But I have a hotel reserved for the entirety of my trip in Buena Park. Dos? Don'ts? Not familiar with the area...

Old 07-18-2016, 11:50 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,099,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parkedem1 View Post
Also, I will be staying primarily in Buena Park.. Any tips on this? I am going to be moving around from time to time so I may end up somewhere else a few nights. But I have a hotel reserved for the entirety of my trip in Buena Park. Dos? Don'ts? Not familiar with the area...
Hit Huntington Beach if you want to add Surfing to your outdoor activity list. You'll be so close it would be foolish to pass up.

Old 07-18-2016, 01:32 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
OP may want to post in the OC forum as buena park is not in LA city/county.

Old 07-18-2016, 02:42 PM

587 posts, read 444,001 times
Buena Park to Lake Tahoe is over 450 miles. If you are only visiting for a week you may want to do this at a later time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles