Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 03:23 AM

1,682 posts, read 3,299,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Why would they refuse to be counted for the census?
Some people just don't like to be bothered.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 07:44 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBigHomieGucci View Post
From experience in Inglewood if some old white guy that works for the Feds knocks on your door and starts asking for your info and income level u get really skeptical
So if it was a young black guy from the Feds it would be coo?

Old 08-01-2016, 08:00 AM

12,387 posts, read 8,155,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
So if it was a young black guy from the Feds it would be cool?
No, there is still distrust. Is there more in the Black community than is others is the question. However in some communities the only white faces are police and fire fighters as the other agencies started sending white faces back to where none were for about 30 years they are suspected as undercover police. We had a letter carrier, who is married to a Black woman and thought he was safe assaulted and medically retired with a shovel in 90044 as it was turning Latino from Black about 15 years ago with that motive

Old 08-01-2016, 09:30 AM

306 posts, read 328,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
Why would they refuse to be counted for the census?
They were never allowed to play duck duck goose as a kid so now they don't want someone doing a head count on them.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:27 AM

93 posts, read 95,347 times
I remember before the 1980 and 1990 census in south LA there was a program about black people getting out the count in the census where they had billboards with magic Johnson and the raiders and they had community events where they had to assure people that the census data wasn't gonna be used against them, well those 2 times there were big gains in the LA black population, so i wonder, did suddenly a lot of black people move here at once or were they actually all counted? Then they stopped the campaign and in 2000 it suddenly showed a drop, obviously there are other factors involved but it has something to do with it
Also it's not just black people, Latinos also will refuse to be counted, but this is usually for immigrantion purposes they don't wanna get deported

Old 08-01-2016, 11:45 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,463,616 times
[quote=ThaBigHomieGucci;44973789]I remember before the 1980 and 1990 census in south LA there was a program about black people getting out the count in the census where they had billboards with magic Johnson and the raiders and they had community events where they had to assure people that the census data wasn't gonna be used against them, well those 2 times there were big gains in the LA black population, so i wonder, did suddenly a lot of black people move here at once or were they actually all counted? Then they stopped the campaign and in 2000 it suddenly showed a drop, obviously there are other factors involved but it has something to do with it
Also it's not just black people, Latinos also will refuse to be counted, but this is usually for immigrantion purposes they don't wanna get deported[/QUOTE]

They didn't get the memo that L.A is a sanctuary city?, nothing to worry about here.

Garcetti: Los Angeles to reject federal government’s requests to detain immigrants

Garcetti Condemns Obama Administration's Coming Deportation Raids: LAist

Old 08-01-2016, 03:33 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,978,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaBigHomieGucci View Post
I remember before the 1980 and 1990 census in south LA there was a program about black people getting out the count in the census where they had billboards with magic Johnson and the raiders and they had community events where they had to assure people that the census data wasn't gonna be used against them, well those 2 times there were big gains in the LA black population, so i wonder, did suddenly a lot of black people move here at once or were they actually all counted? Then they stopped the campaign and in 2000 it suddenly showed a drop, obviously there are other factors involved but it has something to do with it
Also it's not just black people, Latinos also will refuse to be counted, but this is usually for immigrantion purposes they don't wanna get deported
There is a good amount of Blacks in the LA area.

You have the obvious areas like western South LA, Inglewood, Compton, and Hawthorne. Carson is still really the only South Bay city (outside of the capital of the South Bay...Long Beach) with a sizeable Black population, but Torrance, Lakewood, and Cerritos' Black population have grown. Pasadena use to have a larger Black population (also Monrovia and Duarte) that has since shrunk a little, BUT the Black population grew further down the 10/210 in Rancho C, Upland, and Diamond Bar for example. Western cities will never have the Black population numbers that the South and NE get (just like the South won't have the Asian numbers that the West has), but Blacks like California too so I don't think the Black pop will ever dwindle to lower than what it has been recently.

Now even for the cities that lost some Black pop, such as Monrovia, I'm wondering if that is because Blacks left, or if the number remained the same, but huge growth in the Asian or Hispanic numbers pushed the percentage of Blacks down.

Old 08-01-2016, 03:43 PM

508 posts, read 504,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DabOnEm View Post
There is a good amount of Blacks in the LA area.

You have the obvious areas like western South LA, Inglewood, Compton, and Hawthorne. Carson is still really the only South Bay city (outside of the capital of the South Bay...Long Beach) with a sizeable Black population, but Torrance, Lakewood, and Cerritos' Black population have grown. Pasadena use to have a larger Black population (also Monrovia and Duarte) that has since shrunk a little, BUT the Black population grew further down the 10/210 in Rancho C, Upland, and Diamond Bar for example. Western cities will never have the Black population numbers that the South and NE get (just like the South won't have the Asian numbers that the West has), but Blacks like California too so I don't think the Black pop will ever dwindle to lower than what it has been recently.

Now even for the cities that lost some Black pop, such as Monrovia, I'm wondering if that is because Blacks left, or if the number remained the same, but huge growth in the Asian or Hispanic numbers pushed the percentage of Blacks down.
probably a combination of both.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:17 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,978,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afropack-man View Post
probably a combination of both.
I mean it's easy to figure out. I just don't have the time. Maybe someone will have it done by the time I hop on the train in about an hour so I can read while riding.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:06 PM

1,932 posts, read 2,473,443 times
Sure doesn't seem like it.....
Especially Long Beach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles