Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2016, 03:36 PM

25,556 posts, read 24,072,116 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
I just gave you in-depth information that, if you read and understood it, should have short-circuited this post from you. Your ignorance is beginning to seem intentionally biased. You have some kind of arrogant agenda perhaps. You can't cut off the problem at the root. The root is that human nature is unequal to all circumstances for all people all the time. There will always be those who fall into desperate circumstances and respond with erratic behavior.

Reflecting back on your earlier posts in this thread - and in spite of your statement that you don't favor cruel and drastic measures against the homeless - I'm beginning to think you do advocate just shooting them.
Yes the root can be cut off at the problem.

But that's not what you or 2Sleepy want. I suspect you both despite claims to be otherwise DIRECTLY benefit from various social programs, in other words you are on welfare and of course advocate for more welfare programs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 03:39 PM

42,880 posts, read 26,448,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NyWriterdude View Post
But that's not what you or 2Sleepy want. I suspect you both despite claims to be otherwise DIRECTLY benefit from various social programs, in other words you are on welfare and of course advocate for more welfare programs.
mum never taught you how to lose gracefully eh?

Old 09-09-2016, 03:41 PM

Basically charity programs for the poor, including Section 8, Supportive housing, etc do not work. There's massive social stigma against them ,and these places tend to be built in areas at the time which are considered undesirable.

We know there won't be lots of new supportive housing on the Westside, and even areas like Hollywood or Downtown that once could have gotten lots of new supportive housing want (it's much more lucrative to sell real estate to developers).

If anyone things any major city in the US is going to built enough "supportive" housing to end homelessness I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

No politician would be able to sell a big tax increase like that, neighborhoods would fight against it, and for various reasons it is not going to happen.

Old 09-09-2016, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
mum never taught you how to lose gracefully eh?
Unlike you I have professional experience and education, so I don't need to go on by what my mom taught me.

The homelessness in skid row at least (mostly Black) related to mass incarceration, war on drugs, and the socioeconomic marginalization that BLACKS faced in this nation. I'm not interested in putting those people in supportive/welfare housing, as again it's not like the projects work out so well in ANY CITY in the nation. They need to be integrated into the society and they need to work. And no this problem had NOTHING do with human nature, there were and are specific policies at the level of the government that caused this.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:11 PM

21,803 posts, read 16,475,330 times
Quote:
Yes the root can be cut off at the problem.

Quote:
Basically charity programs for the poor, including Section 8, Supportive housing, etc do not work. There's massive social stigma against them ,and these places tend to be built in areas at the time which are considered undesirable.

We know there won't be lots of new supportive housing on the Westside, and even areas like Hollywood or Downtown that once could have gotten lots of new supportive housing want (it's much more lucrative to sell real estate to developers).

If anyone things any major city in the US is going to built enough "supportive" housing to end homelessness I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

No politician would be able to sell a big tax increase like that, neighborhoods would fight against it, and for various reasons it is not going to happen.
Quote:
Unlike you I have professional experience and education, so I don't need to go on by what my mom taught me.

The homelessness in skid row at least (mostly Black) related to mass incarceration, war on drugs, and the socioeconomic marginalization that BLACKS faced in this nation. I'm not interested in putting those people in supportive/welfare housing, as again it's not like the projects work out so well in ANY CITY in the nation. They need to be integrated into the society and they need to work. And no this problem had NOTHING do with human nature, there were and are specific policies at the level of the government that caused this.
Well, lol ... I'm glad I gave you a LOT of rope to hang yourself

2sleepy and I are each retired on welfare? You "suspect" this because? Because you've just been thoroughly schooled - and flunked.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:38 PM

145 posts, read 111,423 times
Quote:

Just because you have an ivy league degree doesn't mean you have to act like the stereotypical east coast snob.

You're still a lowly school teacher, get over yourself.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:41 PM

1,776 posts, read 1,879,441 times
[quote=NyWriterdude;45427500]Unlike you I have professional experience and education, so I don't need to go on by what my mom taught me.

[quote]

Charm school? How quaint. You'll go far.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:45 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,107,835 times
I'm glad to see my thread flourished into a colorful conversation.

Old 09-09-2016, 04:46 PM

145 posts, read 111,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adr3naline View Post
I'm glad to see my thread flourished into a colorful conversation.
Be quiet you lazy welfare mooching bum!

jk.

Old 09-09-2016, 05:43 PM

3,437 posts, read 3,303,331 times
there are already non profits who do good things for society. there are food banks for the hungry. and the problem is homelessness.

so the solution is to build homes/houses/shelter. if you build in the city, it costs a lot. so why not build outside the city, say Palmdale? then bring the food banks there, the non profits who are feeding the homeless and hungry?

they need not build high rises or multi family homes. maybe barracks style, where they can put down their mattresses or sleeping bags.

then assign cops to patrol the shelters

this is better than the homeless sleeping in the streets

if somebody needs warm bodies, just go these shelters and pick those who are willing to work
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles