Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2016, 09:30 PM

171 posts, read 358,834 times

Advertisements

3639 Weslin Ave, Sherman Oaks, CA 91423 | MLS #16-162384 | Zillow

This one is very nice and within the budget. Is the neighborhood good or average?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2016, 09:32 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London29 View Post
3639 Weslin Ave, Sherman Oaks, CA 91423 | MLS #16-162384 | Zillow

This one is very nice and within the budget. Is the neighborhood good or average?
The street's a bit remote, but that's also an excellent neighborhood. (If you're OK with being in the city of L.A. )

Sherman Oaks and Studio City are both nice and safe areas.

Last edited by majoun; 09-23-2016 at 10:02 PM..

Old 09-24-2016, 12:24 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,999 times
Quote:
I did not mean live right by the beach. I meant that I want to be able to go there during the day without having to travel. I was just implying that a place like Passadena is way too far.
I know that the beach cities are too far from the school although an HW parent my husband met on Thursday live in Marina Del Rey and they kids apparently take the bus.

I am planning to go there soon to assess the distances and be more familiar with the whole area.
Well, you did say in a post above that you want your kids to be able to walk to the beach after school, which does require living "right by the beach."

Assuming that being farther than walking distance is acceptable, you might consider Playa Vista. Adjacent to Marina Del Rey (which is mostly mid-rise condos and townhomes), with lots of new-build single-family homes (on very small lots, though), and young families. Close to 405 Fwy, which will (eventually) take you to the Valley. If you prefer older, more established neighborhoods, Mar Vista is also worth a look. Cheviot Hills (broadly, Beverly Hills-adjacent) is farther from the beach, but has larger homes, and an easier (well, shorter) commute to the Valley. If you want to be closer to your kid's school (but farther from the beach), Sherman Oaks or Encino would be ideal, as larger homes with pools are common in the Valley, and it is generally more affordable than the more desirable areas of the LA basin.

That said, allow me to suggest that, unless your lifestyle is centered on the water (i.e., you surf or sail regularly), you should not get too hung up on being near the beach. Find a house that you love, that is near where you must be every day. If you work from home, and can live anywhere, live near your children's school[s]. The beaches of So CA might sound great from your vantage point in Texas, but, truth be told, most people in LA don't spend much time there, especially once they are settled, with families. Traffic in the LA area is terrible, almost all of the time. Unless you live in one of the beach cities, getting there will be a hassle from almost anywhere, especially when the weather is most suitable for hanging out at the beach. (It is only consistenty warm at the beach in the summer and early fall. The rest of the year can be overcast and chilly. We even have names for our cool spring weather: May Gray and June Gloom.) On the westside, it can easily take an hour or more to drive from Beverly Hills to Santa Monica, fewer than 10 miles away, at any time before 10 am and after 2 pm. There are lots of places in LA to stroll, sit in the sun, and have a cup of coffee. You don't need to be at the beach to do that.

Last edited by katenik; 09-24-2016 at 01:51 AM..

Old 09-24-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
Well, you did say in a post above that you want your kids to be able to walk to the beach after school, which does require living "right by the beach."

Assuming that being farther than walking distance is acceptable, you might consider Playa Vista. Adjacent to Marina Del Rey (which is mostly mid-rise condos and townhomes), with lots of new-build single-family homes (on very small lots, though), and young families. Close to 405 Fwy, which will (eventually) take you to the Valley. If you prefer older, more established neighborhoods, Mar Vista is also worth a look. Cheviot Hills (broadly, Beverly Hills-adjacent) is farther from the beach, but has larger homes, and an easier (well, shorter) commute to the Valley. If you want to be closer to your kid's school (but farther from the beach), Sherman Oaks or Encino would be ideal, as larger homes with pools are common in the Valley, and it is generally more affordable than the more desirable areas of the LA basin.

That said, allow me to suggest that, unless your lifestyle is centered on the water (i.e., you surf or sail regularly), you should not get too hung up on being near the beach. Find a house that you love, that is near where you must be every day. If you work from home, and can live anywhere, live near your children's school[s]. The beaches of So CA might sound great from your vantage point in Texas, but, truth be told, most people in LA don't spend much time there, especially once they are settled, with families. Traffic in the LA area is terrible, almost all of the time. Unless you live in one of the beach cities, getting there will be a hassle from almost anywhere, especially when the weather is most suitable for hanging out at the beach. (It is only consistenty warm at the beach in the summer and early fall. The rest of the year can be overcast and chilly. We even have names for our cool spring weather: May Gray and June Gloom.) On the westside, it can easily take an hour or more to drive from Beverly Hills to Santa Monica, fewer than 10 miles away, at any time before 10 am and after 2 pm. There are lots of places in LA to stroll, sit in the sun, and have a cup of coffee. You don't need to be at the beach to do that.
Getting to the beach wouldn't be as much of a hassle if you live right by the Metro...

Old 09-24-2016, 02:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SupDawgs View Post
Honest question, do you think the average H-W parent would let their high school aged DAUGHTER ride the metro alone to the beach on a regular basis?
The Expo Line? Yes. And that's the only Metro line that goes to the beach directly.
They definitely wouldn't want their teenage daughter on the Blue Line, but that doesn't go right to the beach.

Old 09-24-2016, 05:34 PM

Thank you all for taking the time to answer and give advise.

We will go to LA in October for a long weekend and make a final decision. My daughter will have her interview and we will look at neighborhoods, experience morning traffic...

I know that we have to be there to truly know if the move is doable or not.

We don't need to be near the beach all the time but it is good to know that it takes about an hour from Beverlly hills to Santa Monica. I thought it would take less than 20 min. I am a bit off on distances... A good reason to be there to get more familiar with everything and be more realistic when talking about places that we can consider budget-wise and distance-wise.

Just to give you an idea on our actual commute right now, the school is 15 miles away from our home and it takes about 20 min when there is no traffic on the tollway. We leave home at 6:50am to get to school before 7:30.
Traffic here starts slowing down at 7am, as long as it we leave before 7 am, we are fine. I believe in LA, traffic is bad at all times.
Will give an update after our trip.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:

We will go to LA in October for a long weekend and make a final decision. My daughter will have her interview and we will look at neighborhoods, experience morning traffic...

We don't need to be near the beach all the time but it is good to know that it takes about an hour from Beverlly hills to Santa Monica. I thought it would take less than 20 min. I am a bit off on distances... A good reason to be there to get more familiar with everything and be more realistic when talking about places that we can consider budget-wise and distance-wise.

Just to give you an idea on our actual commute right now, the school is 15 miles away from our home and it takes about 20 min when there is no traffic on the tollway. We leave home at 6:50am to get to school before 7:30.
Traffic here starts slowing down at 7am, as long as it we leave before 7 am, we are fine. I believe in LA, traffic is bad at all times.
In the afternoons it can take an hour to get from Santa Monica to the 405 (which bisects the middle of the westside)

Old 09-25-2016, 04:16 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,635,999 times
Quote:

It isn't distance; it is traffic. That part of town is very congested throughout much of the day. At 2 o'clock in the morning, it would take 15-20 minutes, but that is not helpful to you, for obvious reasons.

Last edited by katenik; 09-25-2016 at 04:31 PM..

Old 09-25-2016, 07:31 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,691,740 times
Stay in Texas we're full.

Old 09-26-2016, 07:30 AM

Boosane, your location shows Seattle. Grow up and don't post if you have nothing relevant to say.

Last edited by London29; 09-26-2016 at 07:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles