Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2016, 10:58 AM

190 posts, read 471,653 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

Posted this in the OC page as well, but looking to keep both commuyesat or below an hour in between Irvine and downtown la. Thanks for the help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2016, 11:14 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,547,409 times
One of you will be miserable no matter what.

Old 12-30-2016, 11:14 AM

190 posts, read 471,653 times
Figured haha. I rather be closer to downtown la so I've heard Long Beach is likely the best option

Old 12-30-2016, 11:15 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,827,302 times
There is no good answer. Live somewhere central and you'll both have horrible commutes or live closer to one job and the other will have an unbearable commute. I would live close to whichever job is better and other one of you start looking for a new job

Old 12-30-2016, 11:43 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,150,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tops1234 View Post
Figured haha. I rather be closer to downtown la so I've heard Long Beach is likely the best option
LBC? Makes no sense.

Old 12-30-2016, 12:25 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,827,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvSouthOC View Post
LBC? Makes no sense.
Absolutely no sense. Maybe Downey or Buena Park. But for reference a friend lives in Santa Fe Springs and works downtown and can take up to an hour in rush hour. Going south toward OC might be a little better in the morning. But even if you live in the middle I would expect both to have 1-1.5 hour commute each way which isn't sustainable. And then if you have an accident or two add another 30-60 minutes. I commute the 5 everyday and there is always at least 1 accident on every commute and I'm sure that's the same with all major freeways here

Old 12-30-2016, 12:55 PM

451 posts, read 1,325,139 times
How about Fullerton, Buena Park or Norwalk area? Would taking the Metrolink be an option? I ask because each of the cities I listed as a Metrolink Station and if her work in Downtown LA is near a Metro Line (subway and rail system) then that could be an option. Otherwise, driving will not be a pleasant experience unless you live very close to Downtown LA (but then going down to Irvine would not be that nice either). What is your budget in terms of either home price or apartment rentals?

Old 12-30-2016, 01:38 PM

928 posts, read 1,714,964 times
Long Beach is a good compromise if you both want to be equally miserable. Irvine to LB and LB to LA in rush hour are both going to be an hour plus.

I hate to be a Debbie Downer, but there really is no good solution. There's one that's more fair (in the middle), and there's the option of one of you spending 4+ hours daily in traffic because you're willing to make some ungodly sacrifice. Sorry, bro.

Old 12-30-2016, 01:50 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,052,415 times
Find out how close either end is to a Metrolink station, so maybe one or both of you can commute via train.

Old 12-30-2016, 06:15 PM

6,232 posts, read 3,613,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
There is no good answer. Live somewhere central and you'll both have horrible commutes or live closer to one job and the other will have an unbearable commute. I would live close to whichever job is better and other one of you start looking for a new job
This. Or figure out which job can possibly be done by home in the near future and live closer to the OTHER job. I'm a stone's throw from downtown and commute to Long Beach once a week. I set my own hours so can reach my destination in 45 minutes if I leave after 10am or before 2pm; otherwise we're talking an hour and fifteen. It would be tolerable if it was 45 minutes breezing along at 65 or even 50 mph but it's NEVER that. It's merge onto the freeway then almost immediately come to a complete stop. Crawl along at 10mph then sit some more. Curse the person riding your bumper. Curse the person who nearly sideswiped you to cut in front and cross four lanes of traffic to exit the freeway. Curse the fact that you can't see what's going on because of the big rig blocking your view, then hear your GPS tell you there's an 18-minute delay due to an accident. Wonder why the lanes on either side of you are moving and you're not, then deftly try to maneuver into the "fastest" lane, only for it to slow down too once you're in it. This goes on for like 30 miles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles