Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2017, 10:45 PM

33,315 posts, read 12,564,297 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaymondChandlerLives View Post
I don't think there's any goal to it. People are simply upset that a repugnant human being like Trump is going to be our next president and they want to vent. The protests themselves won't accomplish much short term, but as a Democrat, they're a welcome sight after the infighting and apathy that characterized HRC's run to the White House. We get much better turnout in elections when we're angry. It's a shame we have to be out of power for us to get to that point.

There are more left-leaning than right-leaning voters in this country, and the majority of Americans side with the democratic platform on most issues. Theoretically we shouldn't be losing ANY elections, but our base isn't always reliable enough to turnout in the numbers needed. Apathy is our great weakness. The 2016 election was a prime example of this.

Anyway, Trump and Republicans are set to do some serious long term damage to this country. Repealing Obamacare alone without a suitable replacement will most likely plunge us into a nasty recession, and our standing in the world will almost certainly plummet with Dimwit Donald in charge. Things are going to get ugly, fast. These protests are only the beginning.
Thanks for the reply. Whether I end up agreeing or disagreeing with particular posts of yours, I almost always read them because you express yourself eloquently.

Old 01-14-2017, 02:32 AM

6,233 posts, read 3,614,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
I never said it did... You were just making excuses for his obvious grammatical error.
Wrong. My initial post was responding to Highlander's response that that person could not criticize illegal immigration because they dared to mix up they're and their. How hard is it to understand that the crux of this discussion is not actually about grammar? I quoted Highlander in post #56:
Quote:
"They are". Not specific to you exactly because I don't know what your true stance is on the issue, but it amuses me to no end when people who rail against illegal immigration can't seem to be bothered to learn their own language.

Old 01-14-2017, 02:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Wow, those reading comprehension skills are really failing you, aren't they? I made no such comment.
Resort to insults when caught in a lie. It's hard to lie when your words are right here on the screen. Or is someone other than you posting under Highlanderfil? Amazing!

Quote:
"They are". Not specific to you exactly because I don't know what your true stance is on the issue, but it amuses me to no end when people who rail against illegal immigration can't seem to be bothered to learn their own language.
By the way how are the language skills of all those illegal immigrants? Pristine, right? If you can criticize an American's mistake you can criticize them as well, right? I asked you this before but I guess you don't want to answer.

Old 01-14-2017, 06:38 AM

1,011 posts, read 977,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Wrong. My initial post was responding to Highlander's response that that person could not criticize illegal immigration because they dared to mix up they're and their. How hard is it to understand that the crux of this discussion is not actually about grammar? I quoted Highlander in post #56:
You tried to defend the error as a typo, did you not? I rest my case.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:08 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,169,192 times
Quote:
Correct. Did you miss how I specifically said that my reply was NOT directed at him?

Old 01-14-2017, 10:10 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,169,192 times
Quote:
Resort to insults when caught in a lie. It's hard to lie when your words are right here on the screen. Or is someone other than you posting under Highlanderfil? Amazing!
It's not an insult - it's a conclusion based on an observation. A conclusion I continue to make as you continue to (perhaps willfully?) ignore what I am saying while attributing to me that which I didn't actually say. And what lie was I caught in, exactly?
Quote:
By the way how are the language skills of all those illegal immigrants? Pristine, right?
They are irrelevant.
Quote:
If you can criticize an American's mistake you can criticize them as well, right? I asked you this before but I guess you don't want to answer.
I can and do, but in this particular instance they don't matter, as that's not what's being discussed. In any event, anyone not born in this country is held to a different standard than someone who was born here. Ironically, many immigrants (legal or illegal) actually have a much better command of the English language than the "true 'murrrcans". Which is exactly the irony I was seeking to point out.

Switching the focus back on someone else's isn't really going to make your own flaws go away, either. But if you want to talk of tired online tactics...

Old 01-14-2017, 10:40 AM

2,436 posts, read 2,797,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
Ironically, many immigrants (legal or illegal) actually have a much better command of the English language than the "true 'murrrcans". Which is exactly the irony I was seeking to point out.
This is so true, and indeed ironic. I have called people out on this many times. I find it astonishing just how many people I've found to have poor English introductory and beginners grammar, spelling, and speaking skills in Los Angeles, let alone the rest of the country. And these people are usually the first ones to command foreigners to "speak English," even though they themselves are lacking in basic proper English vernacular and grammar.

This is even more off-topic, but one of the reasons Nabokov's Lolita is one of my all-time favorite pieces of literature is because Nabokov was native to Russia and wrote the book both in Russian and in English. I neither speak nor read Russian, but his English translation is so beautiful and poetic, so much so that I was initially fooled and thought an American had written the book. The descriptions, the way the story flows, the diction, everything is just so well-done and impressive.

Sorry for the thread-shift, but I could talk about this all day.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:59 AM

1,544 posts, read 925,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
He's going to be impeached, I'm convinced of this. I will avoid the news on Jan 20th because the main event of that day is something I will not acknowledge or recognize. He is an imbecile who was elected illegally.
I'll probably be out yarn shopping during the inauguration. I don't have the energy to muster enough of a to give.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMESMH View Post
I must admit, that is a pretty original moniker. I haven't heard that one yet.

Pence being POTUS will make you that much happier?

At this point, impeaching, then convicting via a trial in the Senate, resulting in removal from office isn't going to make Hillary POTUS.
Much as I've given a stank face to Drümpf, I shudder more at the thought of Pence.

Old 01-14-2017, 03:28 PM

37,151 posts, read 42,250,817 times
I don't think I've ever witnessed a Presidential Inauguration before and I won't end that streak this time either. I've either been in a perpetual state of protest or disinterest. I DO think people right now need to express themselves publically so that everyone sees and hears them stand FOR or AGAINST something. That's because social media has made people think their thoughts MUST be broadcast to the world. There are protesters that are trying to change something and protesters who crave something else, it's hard to keep them separate.

Old 01-14-2017, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3shipguy View Post
You tried to defend the error as a typo, did you not? I rest my case.
Way to ignore all my previous posts on what REAL issue is (people who made language mistakes on message boards can't be against illegal immigration), but go back to my post where I said that one cannot accuse a poster of NOT KNOWING the difference between their and they're because you do not know what's in their mind. From your end on the computer, you cannot determine their thought process and whether that person simply made a typo or whether they never learned their difference between the two words. How hard is it for you to grasp this? Is there some sort of language jail for typos anyway? You HAVE no case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles