Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2017, 10:42 AM

5,681 posts, read 5,170,520 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juventas View Post
$15 an hour is better than nothing
Duh. And the sky is blue. By that logic, $0.01/hour is also better than nothing.

What does this have to do with your saying "people can make it on $15/hour if they also get help somewhere else"?

Old 03-13-2017, 10:45 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,556,703 times
Sounds like this guy is bad at managing money if he never has cash when he needs it but has money in his PayPal.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Geek View Post
Sounds like this guy is bad at managing money if he never has cash when he needs it but has money in his PayPal.
It just sounds like the world's worst ATM and goes against OP's originally stating that she gives him money - which, don't get me wrong, is good, if true, but it costs $11.50 to transfer under $900. So, if you send him a hundred bucks (of his own money), you've basically wasted over 10% on doing so.

Old 03-13-2017, 10:58 AM

643 posts, read 507,343 times
Perhaps he doesn't like to use debit cards and prefers cash. It looks like you have to apply for the card I just signed into my PayPal to read the requirements for applying for a PayPal Debit Card. He may not be able to fulfill the requirements I'm sure this is probably something he looked into before hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by highlanderfil View Post
You keep repeating yourself without explaining yourself. I ask again: if he sends you money from his PayPal account and you send money to him through Moneygram, you are essentially sending him back money that is his. You are, essentially, acting as an ATM for him to withdraw HIS money (while helping Moneygram stay in business, which is monumentally dumb because, like I said, he can just get a PayPal debit card and withdraw his money without it going halfway around the country first - but that's another story). Are you giving him any money that is NOT his?

Old 03-13-2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Perhaps he doesn't like to use debit cards and prefers cash. It looks like you have to apply for the card I just signed into my PayPal to read the requirements for applying for a PayPal Debit Card. He may not be able to fulfill the requirements I'm sure this is probably something he looked into before hand.
That's fine, but that still doesn't answer two questions:

1. Do you actually send him any money of your own? (as this is what this whole conversation about "giving him money" was predicated upon)
2. Who pays the MoneyGram fees?

Old 03-13-2017, 11:08 AM

I have sent him money before yes but I don't see why that's a problem if he assists me. If a mechanic does work on your car don't you pay them for their service? I mean he makes me feel good so.
Quote:
That's fine, but that still doesn't answer two questions:

1. Do you actually send him any money of your own?
2. Who pays the MoneyGram fees?

Old 03-13-2017, 11:14 AM

Quote:
I have sent him money before yes but I don't see why that's a problem if he assists me. If a mechanic does work on your car don't you pay them for their service?
You are all over the place. Please try to at least follow the flow of conversation and not jump onto emotional tangents.

We are not talking about paying someone for services. Paying someone for services isn't a problem as long as you don't consider the mechanic to be your friend simply because he does something for you.

We are (presumably) talking about a friend whom you help out from time to time by sending him money. Your own money that you earn. Not by helping him access his own money.

You've just described what is an extremely complicated and expensive way for him to get cash that belongs to him. I'm not sure why we talked about it in the context of you giving him your own money - that's what I'm trying to get to the bottom of.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:28 AM

I already said that yes I have helped him out from time to time. So because you pay a person for their service means that there is no friendship? I paid someone (a girl who I have been friends with since grade school) to make something for me. So does that mean she and I are no longer friends because I paid her for a service? Why couldn't I be friends with my mechanic? That doesn't make sense to me. There are different types of friends, friends who you talk to on a personal level. Friends that you talk to on the job coworkers, friends that you talk to every once in a blue moon. This is why I asked what you considered a friend because we have different views. To you a friend is someone that does what?
Quote:
You are all over the place. Please try to at least follow the flow of conversation and not jump onto emotional tangents.

We are not talking about paying someone for services. Paying someone for services isn't a problem as long as you don't consider the mechanic to be your friend simply because he does something for you.

We are (presumably) talking about a friend whom you help out from time to time by sending him money. Your own money that you earn. Not by helping him access his own money.

You've just described what is an extremely complicated and expensive way for him to get cash that belongs to him. I'm not sure why we talked about it in the context of you giving him your own money - that's what I'm trying to get to the bottom of.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:36 AM

Maybe he can't get the PayPal Debit Card because he doesn't have a physical address.

Old 03-13-2017, 11:41 AM

Yeah it's because you think I'm weird I already know this you've mentioned that before. Everyone has their issues and hangups though which is why I'm not sure how people can really go around judging others. But I don't really care because I've accepted that I'm not like most people and I don't want to be.
Quote:
Do you really want me to go into the details of why? I'm trying to remain sensitive to how easily you are insulted by the most obvious of observations and I am not sure that you'll like what I tell you if I were to explain it.So, you've just confirmed it - no need for me to explain it? Check.No, that's not what I'm trying to say. You're trying to read into my words the meaning that isn't there. Not for the first time, either.Having a role model is fine, but a role model should not define how you live your life.An external source of motivation will always be inferior to an internal one. Again, there's nothing wrong with drawing your inspiration from someone else, but it needs to start with you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: