Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 04:54 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,284,929 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Western Urbanite View Post
Identity? What the hell does that even mean?
Quote:
I thought perhaps it was a reference to bs cultural identity issues, and other foolishness about not wanting multiculturalism. Nevertheless, while identity theft is horrible, it isn't that prevalent when it comes to undocumented immigrants, and doesn't really pertain to a debate about sanctuary city status.
You know exactly what were talking about and referring to. It absolutely is prevalent and these types of crimes support the argument against sanctuary cities. Please stop being be so parsing and pedantic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2017, 05:09 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
You know exactly what were talking about and referring to. It absolutely is prevalent and these types of crimes support the argument against sanctuary cities. Please stop being be so parsing and pedantic.
It's the typical tactic of playing dumb .

Here's an example from our lovely Mayor

Los Angeles Mayor Eric Garcetti asks the federal government to define a 'sanctuary city' - LA Times

Old 04-02-2017, 11:23 AM

992 posts, read 875,568 times
Quote:
No. I wasn't. I'll admit to not reading his phrasing super closely, but there is a lot of right wing bs about loosing the "American identity", and I wasn't sure if he was referring to that or identity theft, which simply isn't that widespread.

Old 04-02-2017, 11:41 AM

25,303 posts, read 21,451,703 times
Quote:
No. I wasn't. I'll admit to not reading his phrasing super closely, but there is a lot of right wing bs about loosing the "American identity", and I wasn't sure if he was referring to that or identity theft, which simply isn't that widespread.
Half of Kevin de Leon's family is here illegally with fake papers

California Senate Leader Admits: "Half Of My Family" In Country Illegally With "False Social Security Cards" | Zero Hedge

I'd say identity theft among illegals is pretty widespread .

Old 04-02-2017, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

California Senate Leader Admits: "Half Of My Family" In Country Illegally With "False Social Security Cards" | Zero Hedge

Show me hard numbers, not anecdotes.

Old 04-02-2017, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Contribute taxes by stealing an identity.
Quote:
Identity? What the hell does that even mean?
Quote:
Anyone that files taxes knows what is involved, I assume you don't how this works. When people say illegal aliens also pay taxes, it's only possible if they have a stolen social security number. It's not a victimless crime. The crime may not be prevalent in general but it's very common with illegal aliens.

Old 04-02-2017, 02:52 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,139,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post

If only SSA can start sending no-match letters out again, so many millions of Americans would realize how much identity theft there has been and the incredible damage it has done and will do into the future.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:10 PM

4,663 posts, read 4,548,055 times
Quote:
Anyone that files taxes knows what is involved, I assume you don't how this works. When people say illegal aliens also pay taxes, it's only possible if they have a stolen social security number. It's not a victimless crime. The crime may not be prevalent in general but it's very common with illegal aliens.
Are you sure it can only be done by using stolen numbers? Can't they just make up numbers that don't belong to anyone?

https://www.theatlantic.com/business...-taxes/499604/ (emphasis mine)
Quote:
Every year, the Social Security Administration collects billions of dollars in taxes that it doesn’t know who paid. Whenever employers send in W-2 forms that have Social Security numbers that don’t match with anyone on record, the agency routes the paperwork to what’s called the Earnings Suspense File, where it sits until people can prove the wages were theirs, allowing them to one day collect retirement benefits.

It works like this: Many immigrants who aren’t authorized to work in the United States buy fake Social Security cards and present them to their employers, who either don’t know they are fake or don’t look too closely. When the employer submits a W-2 form and a tax payment on those workers’ behalf to the Social Security Administration, the federal government holds onto those payroll taxes, even if the Social Security number isn’t linked to anyone on file. And then, a large chunk of that money ends up in the Social Security trust funds, from which retirement benefits are doled out to aging Americans.

Last edited by Mr. Zero; 04-02-2017 at 05:34 PM..

Old 04-02-2017, 05:33 PM

Quote:
I do know how filing for taxes works, and I also know that identity theft and undocumented immigrants using false social security numbers are two very different things. I also know that this shouldn't affect whether LA is a sanctuary city or not.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:10 AM

Quote:
I do know how filing for taxes works, and I also know that identity theft and undocumented immigrants using false social security numbers are two very different things. I also know that this shouldn't affect whether LA is a sanctuary city or not.
Illegal immigrants use stolen social security numbers to file legit taxes with the IRS which makes them criminals and is bad for cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles