Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2008, 12:25 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,238,519 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffknight918 View Post
I've said that a few times, but always seem to get attacked for saying it because I don't live there so I of course don't know anything. If I do move there, I'm a transplant so I don't know anything either.
No one has the market cornered on this or any other City. You could live someplace for 50 years and still not have a clue, or spend a week here and 'get it' right away.

And we are ALL transplants here: my parents moved out here in the 50's. I was born here, big deal. And experience and longevity are overrated, especially if you use it to justify your own prejudices and baggage. Sounds like a dictatorship.

Believe me, I've read lots of posts that are a helluva lot 'stupider' than you'll ever write.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2008, 12:44 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,185,965 times
Threads like this get stupid after awhile.

If you want to move to a place where everyone looks like you -- DON'T MOVE TO LA!

If you want to live in a place where everyone speaks English -- DON'T MOVE TO LA!

If you don't like big cities -- DON'T MOVE TO LA!

If you don't like traffic -- DON'T MOVE TO LA!

If you think every home should be three bedrooms and 2 baths and on an acre of land -- DON'T MOVE TO LA!

If you don't care that you have to share your acre of land with 4,000 other people, then you might like LA. If you can handle having neighbors who speak a zillion other languages, then you might like LA. If you *must* live in a white European enclave and don't mind a three hour commute, you might like LA. If you love to shop and consider a city fantastic when it has several Tiffany's stores, by all means, move to LA.

Old 04-17-2008, 09:24 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,125,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post

And we are ALL transplants here: my parents moved out here in the 50's. I was born here, big deal. Definition of transplant: One who moves to another area. Native: One who is born in an area/raised in an area.

Sounds like a dictatorship. Pot, meet Kettle.
ROFLMAO.

Old 04-17-2008, 11:30 AM

263 posts, read 758,452 times
Quote:
I can see how it would be helpful to people who are looking to relocate to an area to get information from someone who doesn't live there. Of course, the best sources of information comes from people who have visited a few times. It is very reasonable to expect that after a few visits you are an expert on the area. Why should someone who has lived there for years (over thirty) know anything about the city? Or the difference between natives and transplants? Someone who has visited would know WAY more about how a city has changed over time than a person who hasa lived in a city for several decades and watched the changes. That's why children know more than adults. They have WAY more experience.
Amen! I do not believe people can fully understand L.A. in a just few visits! As great as a place L.A. is, it takes many years of living here to really "know L.A."

Old 04-17-2008, 08:36 PM

1,346 posts, read 4,218,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickdahammer View Post
No one has the market cornered on this or any other City. You could live someplace for 50 years and still not have a clue, or spend a week here and 'get it' right away.

And we are ALL transplants here: my parents moved out here in the 50's. I was born here, big deal. And experience and longevity are overrated, especially if you use it to justify your own prejudices and baggage. Sounds like a dictatorship.

Believe me, I've read lots of posts that are a helluva lot 'stupider' than you'll ever write.
Haha, thanks.

Old 04-18-2008, 01:08 AM
VII

21 posts, read 19,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertsGirl View Post
I just had a revelation I had to share.

I read these forums, wondering why in the heck anyone would want to move here. I've lived here my whole life (40+ years), and I just want out of here.

I get it. I finally get it. CA is beautiful. The opportunities are seemingly endless. The lifestyle is varied and fun. I get it, finally.

But, I also understand why I am so unhappy here. I remember when rush hour only lasted an hour each way. I remember when the only "violence" at the public schools was a fist fight. I remember when the majority of homes were single family, on a large-ish lot. I remember when our communities were cohesive...people smiled at each other. Neighbors knew each other, and looked out for each other. It was never perfect, but it was slower and not so congested.

So, this is kind of an apology for negative comments I've made, but at the same time, an explanation. If you come here from another state, it seems really cool because...it's California. If you've lived here all your life, and you've seen your little town become congested and traffic afflicted, and the weather is all you enjoy, it's not worth it anymore. When you avoid driving, unless you absolutely have to, it's not worth it anymore. I've become very claustrophobic in the past few years due to the sheer number of condos and cars and people. I have a great view of the mountains, though. It's no longer worth it.

Now, to convince my husband that it's time to go.
What areas are you thinking of moving to?

Old 04-18-2008, 10:03 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,238,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
ROFLMAO.
I'm glad your derision of non-natives brings you so much pleasure.

Old 04-18-2008, 05:40 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,082,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertsGirl View Post
We really want to move to TX. We've been there many times, and really like it. We have friends there who used to live here, and we know the drawbacks and differences. I can live with them. The hubby....well, he's got a lot to consider, and it's hard to make a decision to move away from everything you've ever known. I, on the other hand, am a bit more adventurous.
Where in Texas?

Old 04-19-2008, 07:06 AM

13 posts, read 61,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
LA is a cut throat city. To really enjoy all the benefits the city has to offer, you have to be a successful person. This goes for all major cities in the US (NYC, SF, Chicago, DC...) If you didn't cut it here, thats too bad for you, but no one is forcing you to stay. Go ahead and leave, that will be one less family on our clogged freeways.
Does anyone knows how LA is compared to Phoenix and what are the differences?? Which city is a better place to live and work and easier to find jobs??

Old 04-19-2008, 09:20 AM

1,346 posts, read 4,218,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by inaxg View Post
Does anyone knows how LA is compared to Phoenix and what are the differences?? Which city is a better place to live and work and easier to find jobs??

I could honestly see Phoenix surpassing LA at one point as far as population goes. That place is growing like crazy. I wouldn't want to live there though. A little too hot for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles