Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 06:28 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,820,036 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatsnext75 View Post
I live in Boston now and getting drunk or at the very least drinking alcohol seems to be a huge part of going to games. Probably ruins it for people taking kids...but plenty of people do continue to take kids.

It seems like attending the game in person is down. People are preferring to watch the game from home because it's more comfortable. The NFL is investing a lot to make the fan experience better for fans in the stadium.

Not to sound dumb but doesn't the NFL still get a lot of money for people watching from their homes? Everyone watches the superbowl.

I have never been to a patriots game or a Celtics game and i live in boston. Ive been to a handful of sox games and 1 bruins game. It's not my thing and i can understand how people would rather watch from home. Traffic getting in and out of the stadium, crowds, not all seats are good, food and drinks are overpriced. Even the cost of tickets is crazy. It seems like it's always rich people around here who go to the games somewhat regularly and have good seats. I don't understand why the ticket prices need to be so high.

So yeah the NFL will never have me as an in the stands kind of fan.
The majority of tickets for NFL, MLB and NBA in major cities are basically season tickets owned by corporations these days. Rich execs go to games, tickets are given away to clients as part of business deals and the tickets to the games nobody wants to go to are raffled off to employees. I was watching the Sox game on tv on Sunday and it was mother's day and slightly raining but Fenway was about 75% empty in the 7th inning of a 2 run game. That didn't happen when I was growing up. Fans came early and stayed until the last pitch even in blow outs. Now you have more casual fans and people that aren't even fans of the team or sport at games because it's more of an event. If a regular guy wants to take his wife and two kids to a game they are looking at $500-1000 for a night out for tickets, food and parking/transportation so where people used to go to 20+ games per year they now go to 1 or none. Factor in everyone having 65" tvs and HD or 4K quality at home and the fact that you can watch every game from every team at the same time and have access to tons of info through TV or internet while the game is on and there is no reason for most people to pay to go out to games.

And yes all of the major sports leagues and teams make more from tv deals, advertising and merchandise then they do from ticket sales. Teams like the Red Sox, Yankees and Dodgers all own their own TV networks now so they get all of that money. And every baseball team has about 50 variations on their team hat every year and NBA and NFL have dozens of variations of jerseys and throw backs and all of that apparel is fashionable even for people that don't follow sports so that is where money is made
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2017, 06:33 PM

5,734 posts, read 4,689,857 times
Quote:
Why didn't they stay in San Diego? Are they expected to do well and have good turnouts for the games?

I just dont know why there are 2 teams in one city...I guess NYC has two sports teams in baseball though.

In general it doesn't seem like CA is a huge football state?
Have you been living under a rock for about the last 3 years???

This has been discussed and discussed and discussed and discussed....

Old 05-16-2017, 06:38 PM

3,268 posts, read 3,320,505 times
Yeah i dont see people attending the games getting much better in the future. I didnt even think of how most people have an amazing huge flatscreen at home. You can just gather your family and friends in the living room.

I will say that fans love to post pictures of themselevs on social media when they do attend a game. They're like everyone look at me, i paid the money to be here. Rarely do i see a whole family attend the game. It tends to be selfies if single people, couples, maybe one parent with the kids.

Going to a game should not be just a rich people experience. That seems ridiculous...but it basically would be $1000 for a family of 4 to go to a game and eat and pay for parking and god forbid you dont get a t shirt or a stuffed animal.

Old 05-16-2017, 06:40 PM

Default Re

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Have you been living under a rock for about the last 3 years???

This has been discussed and discussed and discussed and discussed....
Good grief no i dont come here often. I have a friend of a friend who is moving to become CRO of the chargers. He has a good job and it seems somewhat risky. Im sure he was given a very enticing salary though.

Last edited by Whatsnext75; 05-16-2017 at 06:41 PM.. Reason: Added

Old 05-17-2017, 06:03 AM

What do you think the salary for the CRO position of the chargers is?

Last edited by Whatsnext75; 05-17-2017 at 06:04 AM.. Reason: Added

Old 05-17-2017, 06:23 AM

12,383 posts, read 8,139,479 times
Quote:
Why didn't they stay in San Diego? Are they expected to do well and have good turnouts for the games?

I just dont know why there are 2 teams in one city...I guess NYC has two sports teams in baseball though.

In general it doesn't seem like CA is a huge football state?
It doesn't have to be a huge football state. The reason is 10 million souls in the immediate driving area compared to 3 million.

Then there is marketing the name so a Buffalo turned San Diego NBA basketball team moved to LA and remained far behind the locally adopted Lakers until the Lakers became big losers And in combination the Braves turned Clippers fielded a pretty good team. And the second MLB team fought with their landlords to call themselves Los Angeles instead of California, Anaheim or Los Angeles of Anaheim.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:24 AM

15 posts, read 10,721 times
I would think that a CRO working for an NFL team would be making around 400k...plus who knows what kind of bonuses.

It doesn't seem like the most stable position particularly for a new team. Probably not one that will last long...but still a good resume builder.

Old 05-17-2017, 07:44 AM

12,713 posts, read 15,522,736 times
San Diego does have one of the best baseball parks in the sport (PetCo). The Chargers moved to get a stadium and access to many, many more people.

Old 05-17-2017, 08:21 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,820,036 times
USC average attendance is 65-90k per home game, UCLA is over 65k as well. I'd say there are some football fans here

Old 05-17-2017, 08:49 AM

So the LA Chargers are expected to be a success?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles