Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 07:25 PM

53 posts, read 64,326 times

Advertisements

We will be moving to a suburb of LA late this summer. I was just thinking about how every major region of the country has an aura and personality.

Midwest transparency. The fast and brash northeast. We are in Dallas where there is supposedly "southern hospitality" which Chicago actually had more of (I have lived there too). A dominant quality of Dallas to me seems to be more the ability to judge and thump a bible haha (they don't call this the Bible Belt for no reason - but I digress).

Anyhow, wondering how you guys would characterize the prevailing aura and personality of SoCal? Obvious cliches are more laid back and more liberal but do add color. We are looking forward to settling in soon ;-).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2017, 07:28 PM

14,321 posts, read 11,719,111 times
You need to mention the name of the suburb, or no one will be able to answer you!

Old 05-24-2017, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
You need to mention the name of the suburb, or no one will be able to answer you!
I was actually referring to the entire REGION. But we are looking at Santa Clarita, Santa Rosa Valley, Simi Valley, Camarillo.

Last edited by Evoking; 05-24-2017 at 09:00 PM..

Old 05-24-2017, 08:24 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,633,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evoking View Post
I was actually referring to the entire REGION. But we are looking at Santa Clarita, Brentwood, Santa Rosa, Camarillo.
Where do people come up with these ideas?

These areas literally have absolutely zero in common. Santa Rosa is north of San Francisco.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:45 PM

1,717 posts, read 1,694,368 times
Interesting the Dallas bashing. Just because an area isn't for you for whatever reason doesn't mean it needs bashing. While I've never lived in Dallas, I have visited and driven through. It's doing quite well economically, has many Fortune 500 companies, and while religion is important, I don't see Dallas as strong Bible Belt. Honestly, I can't see comparing Dallas to Chicago. I'd think the crime and shootings in Chicago would line up with the 'hospitality' issue. But. Whatever.

When I read the title of this post 'SoCal Aura' I immediately thought of smog.

Brentwood would be pricey. But I'm not sure if you're judging an area by price. Camarillo should be 'cheaper' if that's an issue. Anyone that moves to CA should have money. I assume you made your money in Dallas and now you want to spend it in CA? Interesting.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnG72 View Post
Where do people come up with these ideas?

These areas literally have absolutely zero in common. Santa Rosa is north of San Francisco.
Calm down. I thought this forum was for folks to get perspective and share. Not talk down to each other. Btw, you can feel free to speak directly to me instead of about me like I'm not here ;-)

I must have meant Santa Rosa Valley Camarillo. Regarding your response, I certainly recognize various suburbs have personalities as well. Considering we have not picked a specific area yet I was inquiring about the prevailing themes. I was trying to be descriptive by referencing other parts of the country - as opposed to getting into intra-metropolis culture just yet.

Old 05-24-2017, 08:59 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,378,210 times
There are a-holes in all parts of the country. LA being no exception. Especially Brentwood

Old 05-24-2017, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sollaces View Post
Interesting the Dallas bashing. Just because an area isn't for you for whatever reason doesn't mean it needs bashing. While I've never lived in Dallas, I have visited and driven through. It's doing quite well economically, has many Fortune 500 companies, and while religion is important, I don't see Dallas as strong Bible Belt. Honestly, I can't see comparing Dallas to Chicago. I'd think the crime and shootings in Chicago would line up with the 'hospitality' issue. But. Whatever.

When I read the title of this post 'SoCal Aura' I immediately thought of smog.

Brentwood would be pricey. But I'm not sure if you're judging an area by price. Camarillo should be 'cheaper' if that's an issue. Anyone that moves to CA should have money. I assume you made your money in Dallas and now you want to spend it in CA? Interesting.
Not bashing Dallas. Been here 20 years. Lived in Austin, D.C., Houston as a child. I am speaking from my own experience over many years here. It definitely has its pro's obviously or I wouldn't have lived here all these years - and even returned. Wasn't looking to get into a debate about merits of Dallas or any of the areas I have lived already - because I know them already.

Btw, if you like Chicago or Dallas would be happy to PM you some perspective. Chicago shootings are quite silo'd. The suburbs of the North Shore are phenomenal, charming and beautiful.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:17 PM

4,490 posts, read 3,933,269 times
Quote:
Calm down. I thought this forum was for folks to get perspective and share. Not talk down to each other. Btw, you can feel free to speak directly to me instead of about me like I'm not here ;-)

I must have meant Santa Rosa Valley Camarillo. Regarding your response, I certainly recognize various suburbs have personalities as well. Considering we have not picked a specific area yet I was inquiring about the prevailing themes. I was trying to be descriptive by referencing other parts of the country - as opposed to getting into intra-metropolis culture just yet.
The general Socal "aura" could probably best be summarized as a love of the outdoors and things outdoorsy. Then when you get to certain areas, there are other "vibes" that are common. Santa Rosa Valley is very much a "country" vibe with horses everywhere and large lots. It's lovely there, BTW, but a PITA to get to & from. Santa Clarita is mostly families & tract homes (large & small) and has a real "Mommie" vibe since it seems that everyone has kids. I'm pretty sure that Simi Valley & Camarillo don't really have a personality. Hope that helps.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:52 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,050,766 times
Quote:
...Santa Rosa Valley, Simi Valley, Camarillo.
Santa Rosa Valley: Giant horsey McMansions, treeless expanses of manicured lawns. On the fringes, older tract houses. All residential, no "town" so drive to everything. Roads are slow, poor freeway access.

Simi Valley: Blue collar, family-oriented, low-rise tract housing with more affluent tract houses to the west. Community feeling by SoCal standards. Hot summers. Wide shopping variety. Easy commute to the San Fernando Valley.

Camarillo: Mini "old town" but mostly low-rise tract housing and clean tech businesses. Active agriculture going on between the housing. Very spread out and flat. Right on the 101. Cooler temperatures. A fashion outlet mall and movie theaters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles