Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2017, 07:40 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,285,932 times

Advertisements

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2017, 08:45 PM

1,122 posts, read 962,275 times
I worked with a gentleman who was getting his company up and running. He had worked for Jason Alexander for years. I was actually a virtual secretary for him...He had just graduated from UCLA Film School. He was a screenwriter. He knew many people because of his work with Jason.

We got his company up and running, and he did real well. He produced a movie for TNT but I do not want to release any names due to privacy. It's VERY hard to work in the business unless you know the right people. My client's father was already in the music industry.

I use to call the Screen Actors Guild for him - send scripts out - and trust me he knew a lot of people because I answered the phones for him at my home in Redondo Beach. We had a whole set up. It was fun for a time but I soon found out I was not cut out for it as I had my business and other clients I was working with. I worked for him for two years. My client is still in the business and I could not be happier for him.

Do some intern work at a Production Company - Most A list actors have them... I think that is your best bet.

Old 08-22-2017, 08:57 PM

1,122 posts, read 962,275 times
I apologize for some reason my post posted twice - I just deleted it.

Old 08-23-2017, 08:27 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,415 times
Thanks Californiagal, I'm a little older to do intern work, but I browse through Craigslist job postings at least twice a week and I see postings for 'virtual assistants' every so often. I would even welcome a part-time job like that, just to get my foot in the door.

I applied for a fantastic executive assistant/office manager job at The Hollywood Reporter recently, and I even follow one of their primary writers on Twitter. We RT each others stuff and he regularly responds to my tweets. But when I asked him if he could offer some assistance or guidance as I just applied for a job at THR, it was radio silence. He never responded.

Some people in the business go MIA when you ask them for help. They just can't be bothered.

Old 08-23-2017, 05:32 PM

939 posts, read 788,580 times
I don't know how it is in the office arena, or if you are lucky enough to work for just one person as a personal whatever, but pretty much in the actual movie making crafts, production and non-production, sooner or later:

1) It's not what you know, it's who you know.

2) It's not who you know, it's who you _low.

Think casting couch for any and all sexes, and any and all crafts, that not only offer the allure of either making only 40 hours a week X 52 weeks (if your lucky at that), to being in the six-figure bracket, with screen credit (aka semi-eternal graffiti).

Once you land a job however that industry, like in any other high paying/profile businesses, finding out who or what your boss is into wouldn't hurt...baseball cards, season tickets to the Lakers, connoisseur wine or bud etc., even when you're already working for them.

To an extent, there have been some exceptions too that rule.

All that being said, make sure to have all your talents as sharp and as current as can be, learn new ones while you are waiting, and then most important of all, be at the right place at the right time.

Try to land yourself even a menial job on a major lot, such as a temporary secretary (floater), so you can meet people and walk around to other office buildings to check their help wanted bulletin boards.

This may sound silly, but lastly, find a nice upscale restaurant/bar in the major studio area and frequent them during happy hour!

You don't have to drink alcohol there, but there is a chance of meeting studio folk from all walks of life there, directly or indirectly, and who knows...you may meet someone who becomes your new "I knew someone who got me in" friend.

Old 08-24-2017, 05:02 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,492,423 times
All about networking and who you know.

My husband didn't work directly in the film industry, but he worked for a company that the film industry hired to do their work for them. Through that he met quite a few "higher ups" in the industry and was offered a few jobs he would never have gotten offered had he tried on his own.

Will your current job net you any significant contacts or opportunities to meet prospective job offers?

Old 08-24-2017, 06:06 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,421,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post

The hiring priorities for open positions is basically this:

1st priority - referrals from friends/associates (the old who do you know)
2nd - experienced applicants (yes experience is trumped by the who do you know)
3rd - Top-tier film school applicants (USC/UCLA/NYU)
4th - attractiveness (hot chicks always got called in for an interview)
5th - Jewish (yes, Hollywood is run by Jews, and being Jewish helps)

This was my experience; and it was the same for friends I had who worked at Mgmnt co's/PR agencies/production companies/studios etc...
This is totally accurate! However, I'd put attractiveness in 2nd place after referrals instead of 4th place.

1st Priority - Referrals
2nd - Attractiveness
3rd - Experience
4th - Film school grads
5th - Jewish (or a well spoken (i.e., non-ghetto) black female who isnt overweight)

Its really tough if you dont fall into any of these categories. Its unfortunate, but sadly that is so absolutely true.

Old 08-24-2017, 10:38 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,824,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
This is totally accurate! However, I'd put attractiveness in 2nd place after referrals instead of 4th place.

1st Priority - Referrals
2nd - Attractiveness
3rd - Experience
4th - Film school grads
5th - Jewish (or a well spoken (i.e., non-ghetto) black female who isnt overweight)

Its really tough if you dont fall into any of these categories. Its unfortunate, but sadly that is so absolutely true.
You forgot gays. From my experience, I would say young attractive white girls and asian girls and young gay men would all be ahead of non ghetto black females or even Jews in category 5. But if you are a young attractive gay jewish guy then you're really going places!

Old 08-24-2017, 11:47 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times
I worked for a major studio for a short time. I got the interview through an employee referral. I had applied on my own with no call backs. It's funny because I was an obvious fit for the role and did it quite well with little challenge. Knowing someone is very important if for nothing more than getting your resume in front of HR. No one in your current network works for the studios? They don't have to be in the same line of work you are interested in to submit a resume on your behalf.

Old 08-24-2017, 12:33 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
I worked for a major studio for a short time. I got the interview through an employee referral. I had applied on my own with no call backs. It's funny because I was an obvious fit for the role and did it quite well with little challenge. Knowing someone is very important if for nothing more than getting your resume in front of HR. No one in your current network works for the studios? They don't have to be in the same line of work you are interested in to submit a resume on your behalf.
I moved to LA not knowing a soul, and the place I work at is in the medical field, far, far removed from entertainment. I did meet one girl at a health meeting who attended it because it was in her neighborhood and we chatted a bit. She worked for CBS and i told her how much I wanted to get into any studio. She just referred me to the website to apply for jobs. Big whoop, I knew that already. She wasn't willing to give me more than that.

Hopefully I'll meet someone willing to give my resume to someone in HR at the entertainment company they work at.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles