Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2017, 06:27 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,412,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
The mosquitos are also far worse. I don't get how you escaped that. The skeeters have been crazy in the times I've visited, though I luckily never got any as a vector for anything. Though as my grandma always said, West Nile me once shame on you. West Nile me twice, jesus what the ****ing hell am i doing here goddamn **** this place how is this even a thing, i pay my goddamn taxes did someone cut the funds to the cdc what the **** is this
Sorry but I have been in all parts of FL, excerpt the Southern section which I do not care for and never had any mosquito problems. I am in Volusia County right now and there are none here (Maybe not the right time of year though). I have been in FL every month and rarely had a problem. Maybe where you were it was a problem, OK, that does not make my observations wrong. I prefer CA for weather and many other things, born and raised there and lived for 55 years in SoCal. But the changes make it far less appealing than it was. Just about everywhere is going down hill.

Now I am not a big fan of humidity, but my body likes it better than dry air. If I had a choice between SoCal and FL, with SoCal more like it was in the 70's I would definitely move back to SoCAl, but it has changed too much. While I have been to FL many times, I have never lived there, so basically no "good" memories that would be something that would lead to a disappointment now.

Who knows I may be back to SoCal one day to live, rather than just visit.

Last edited by expatCA; 11-25-2017 at 06:36 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2017, 07:42 AM
FBF

601 posts, read 933,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungTraveler2011 View Post
And this is why Florida > CA when it comes to running the city.

If FL had CA's weather I'd be there in a heartbeat. Unfortunately I'd rather not get eaten alive by mosquitoes.

Also, thanks for letting the whole world know you favor slavery (aka universal healthcare).
It is not, you moron!

It is similar to how our politicians receive the healthcare (via taxes) and where public hospitals receive payments and they do not charge you so long as you are a citizen or legal permanent resident who has paid taxes. Much like how our public schools, usps, and military are paid.

The result: less money wasted (America is the only developed country with no universal healthcare yet it is the most expensive) and everyone is covered. Of course, if you are rich, you have the right To go to a private hospital (so even the rich is happy).

Seriously, are people in the South this stupid and look down on the poor so much? And they call it the Bible Belt? Hypocrisy on its finest!

Old 11-25-2017, 09:28 AM

1,365 posts, read 2,248,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FBF View Post
It is not, you moron!

It is similar to how our politicians receive the healthcare (via taxes) and where public hospitals receive payments and they do not charge you so long as you are a citizen or legal permanent resident who has paid taxes. Much like how our public schools, usps, and military are paid.

The result: less money wasted (America is the only developed country with no universal healthcare yet it is the most expensive) and everyone is covered. Of course, if you are rich, you have the right To go to a private hospital (so even the rich is happy).

Seriously, are people in the South this stupid and look down on the poor so much? And they call it the Bible Belt? Hypocrisy on its finest!
LMAO if you think other countries get better healthcare than America.

Educate yourself, you buffoon. Go to YouTube and type "Healthcare in Canada sucks" and enjoy being inundated with Canadians ripping on their $hitty system.

It isn't my fault you're a **** up and can't afford healthcare. Get a real job. How about that?

You forcing ME to pay for your stupid expenses is IMMORAL. PERIOD.

But I wouldn't expect much from a brain-dead leftist.

Old 11-25-2017, 07:36 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,121,077 times
Quote:

It isn't my fault you're a **** up and can't afford healthcare. Get a real job. How about that?
What's a real job?

If he's doing services in exchange for income, is that not a real job? Perhaps he has two. But also has to pay rent.

If you can still live good and help out your fellow countrymen, why complain?

Old 11-25-2017, 11:05 PM

6,202 posts, read 11,458,760 times
Quote:
LMAO if you think other countries get better healthcare than America.

Educate yourself, you buffoon. Go to YouTube and type "Healthcare in Canada sucks" and enjoy being inundated with Canadians ripping on their $hitty system.

You forcing ME to pay for your stupid expenses is IMMORAL. PERIOD.

But I wouldn't expect much from a brain-dead leftist.
Whoa! You might want to ease steadily off the Faux News/Bitebart misinformation racket for a while.

You should educate yourself! Considering value for the money, American healthcare delivery is as effective as Cuba (which is saying a lot!).

Why should your employer pay (or even provide) for your healthcare? IMMORAL. PERIOD.

But I wouldn't expect much from a brain-dead "Libertarian" (who is really a Conservative behind that posturing BS).

Old 11-26-2017, 07:07 AM

80 posts, read 84,695 times
If you want to learn more about the healthcare systems of various countries of the world (including the USA), there is an informative and clear YouTube series that goes through it all step by step.

Link here: https://www.youtube.com/user/thehealthcaretriage/

YoungTraveler2011, I think you have a few logical fallacies going on in your posts.

First, people complaining about something doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad, and in fact can often be the basis for further improvements to whatever system or service it's about. Brits complain about their system as do the French and the Norwegians I'm surrounded by. Yet when you look at how the system functions and what it costs, it's actually pretty well organized and efficient. I don't believe anyone would want to eliminate it, or adopt anything at all like the current US system. (As an aside, look at how many people complain here in the forum about living in LA, yet more people keep moving here, lol!)

Secondly, when living in a society, free or otherwise, you are part of a social contract. Part of that contract is that everyone contributes a (usually small) portion of their own - be it money (i.e. taxes), labor, materials, etc to the social fellowship and greater good. If you don't want to pay for other people's healthcare, what about public roads and infrastructure, or schools, or police, fire departments, postal service, national defense, and more (much more)? All of it is paying for someone else's expenses, it's sharing the burden of what *might* happen across everyone to make it cheaper, safer and more effective for everyone. Maybe you never need a fireman to put out a fire or save your cat from climbing too high in a tree. Would you argue that you shouldn't have to pay for other peoples firemen, other people's problems? Do you have your own private police force, so as not to contribute to the law enforcement someone else might need?

The logical end point of not wanting to pay for any cost incurred by the people around you, by your fellow citizens, is to find a place to live all by yourself and be 100% self sufficient. As soon as you meet someone and have a family though, you actually start doing the same thing - sharing responsibility and resources in order to cover everyone in your family. It's the same principle, just on a micro-level.

For the people pointing political fingers, there's really nothing political about it, it's part of being a member of a species of social animals. Homo sapiens. Politics come into play when we start discussing *how* and *how much* to share and cover.

Surf

Old 11-26-2017, 03:04 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,121,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf_Norway View Post
If you want to learn more about the healthcare systems of various countries of the world (including the USA), there is an informative and clear YouTube series that goes through it all step by step.

Link here: https://www.youtube.com/user/thehealthcaretriage/

YoungTraveler2011, I think you have a few logical fallacies going on in your posts.

First, people complaining about something doesn't necessarily mean that it's bad, and in fact can often be the basis for further improvements to whatever system or service it's about. Brits complain about their system as do the French and the Norwegians I'm surrounded by. Yet when you look at how the system functions and what it costs, it's actually pretty well organized and efficient. I don't believe anyone would want to eliminate it, or adopt anything at all like the current US system. (As an aside, look at how many people complain here in the forum about living in LA, yet more people keep moving here, lol!)

Secondly, when living in a society, free or otherwise, you are part of a social contract. Part of that contract is that everyone contributes a (usually small) portion of their own - be it money (i.e. taxes), labor, materials, etc to the social fellowship and greater good. If you don't want to pay for other people's healthcare, what about public roads and infrastructure, or schools, or police, fire departments, postal service, national defense, and more (much more)? All of it is paying for someone else's expenses, it's sharing the burden of what *might* happen across everyone to make it cheaper, safer and more effective for everyone. Maybe you never need a fireman to put out a fire or save your cat from climbing too high in a tree. Would you argue that you shouldn't have to pay for other peoples firemen, other people's problems? Do you have your own private police force, so as not to contribute to the law enforcement someone else might need?

The logical end point of not wanting to pay for any cost incurred by the people around you, by your fellow citizens, is to find a place to live all by yourself and be 100% self sufficient. As soon as you meet someone and have a family though, you actually start doing the same thing - sharing responsibility and resources in order to cover everyone in your family. It's the same principle, just on a micro-level.

For the people pointing political fingers, there's really nothing political about it, it's part of being a member of a species of social animals. Homo sapiens. Politics come into play when we start discussing *how* and *how much* to share and cover.

Surf
*mic drop

Old 11-26-2017, 03:43 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,150,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Whoa! You might want to ease steadily off the Faux News/Bitebart misinformation racket for a while.

You should educate yourself! Considering value for the money, American healthcare delivery is as effective as Cuba (which is saying a lot!).

Why should your employer pay (or even provide) for your healthcare? IMMORAL. PERIOD.

But I wouldn't expect much from a brain-dead "Libertarian" (who is really a Conservative behind that posturing BS).
Right because classical Liberals are all brain-dead old dead white males to you?

Old 11-26-2017, 07:04 PM

1,365 posts, read 2,248,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
*mic drop
Now I know why you're on welfare.

Old 11-26-2017, 07:38 PM

782 posts, read 760,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Sorry but I have been in all parts of FL, excerpt the Southern section which I do not care for and never had any mosquito problems. I am in Volusia County right now and there are none here (Maybe not the right time of year though). I have been in FL every month and rarely had a problem. Maybe where you were it was a problem, OK, that does not make my observations wrong. I prefer CA for weather and many other things, born and raised there and lived for 55 years in SoCal. But the changes make it far less appealing than it was. Just about everywhere is going down hill.

Now I am not a big fan of humidity, but my body likes it better than dry air. If I had a choice between SoCal and FL, with SoCal more like it was in the 70's I would definitely move back to SoCAl, but it has changed too much. While I have been to FL many times, I have never lived there, so basically no "good" memories that would be something that would lead to a disappointment now.

Who knows I may be back to SoCal one day to live, rather than just visit.
Still debating? I think you are better off where you are, if you can live there and like it, why not? Once you reach a certain age the stuff you desired in your younger years doesn't really feel the same. You will be devoid of the headaches of the metro areas in FL living in Volusia, granted I'm sure you will go to Orlando occasionally? You do know they call the I-4 the "Die 4" since it's dangerous, I been on it plenty of times and some areas are quite bad.

http://www.wptv.com/news/state/i-4-n...way-in-america

Most people in Florida dont' deal with mosquitoes because they sit in their house all day long with the A/C blowing, people here in SoCal are much more active, granted the age demographic is a factor here, we did see active seniors in West Palm Beach, but overall people seem more active here and the weather is a big player in that.

If you have not done a Florida summer yet, give it time. Honestly never bothered us, the bugs were the least of our issues along with the gators, it's the people and the quality of jobs that did us in when you add it up, the cost of living in South Florida is out of control in relation to median wages.

Driving in Miami is not fun nor is anywhere in South Florida in general, worse place I ever had to drive/commute without a doubt and I lived in Atlanta prior to my time in Florida.

The roads here are in poor shape though, will give Florida that + but it doesn't make up for the road rage, bad drivers and sky high car insurance rates and high % of uninsured drivers on the roads.

Dont' worry, in due time the traffic in the Miami MSA will be equal or worse than LA, and after a hurricane when all the lights are out it will be even worse. Only thing that would make things a major nightmare here is the big one.

https://www.local10.com/weather/hurr...hts-remain-out

South Florida's plan for traffic: ;We're going to make them suffer - Sun Sentinel

South Florida traffic among worst in world, study says - Sun Sentinel
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles