Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 06:03 AM

19 posts, read 22,117 times

Advertisements

I'm 51, recently divorced, from the east coast (Philadelphia for 40 years and Florida for the rest) and I've always wanted to live in Ca. I love hiking and the beach and all the options CA offers. I want to be near the city to take classes and for the nightlife (no more suburbs, my kids are all grown. Been there. Done that). I love the CA weather and everything else but I'm getting concerned as I read posts here. I know the traffic is horrible. And from posts here it sounds like so many areas are unsafe (but what city isn't?). I'm also concerned about the huge salary you need to make to live in SoCal. I've read posts that could drive you away screaming with flames coming from your hair (Unless that's the pint. Keep out the newbies. Haha). So I guess my question is this. Is there an area for a 51 year old single woman who wants to enjoy the California lifestyle and all it's glory without having to live right IN Los Angeles? But not have to sit for 3 hours on a freeway to go in to LA? Am I dreaming that this exists? Some have mentioned Ventura or south Pasadena or silver lake. I just don't know if they will be too quiet for me. I don't need the nightclub life, I'm pretty laid back and not into clubs, but I don't want a bedroom community. I don't have a job yet and so I'm not sure where I'll be working. All I know is I have to start my life completely over again (this was not the plan!) and thought if I'm going to do it I might as well go for it and live where I've always wanted to live. But some of these posts on here are scaring the heck out of me. Your thoughts? Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2017, 06:21 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,553,915 times
I know nothing about what kind of area you're looking for, but please check the housing prices vs. salaries in your chosen field before you move. Also, it may not be so easy for you to find a job considering your age (sorry, but it's true). All of these threads about traffic and the cost of living are true. They're not meant to scare you away, but to give you a realistic view of what it's like to live here. It's not easy to get established. Best of luck to you.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:33 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,406,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newlife51 View Post
I'm 51, recently divorced, from the east coast (Philadelphia for 40 years and Florida for the rest) and I've always wanted to live in Ca. I love hiking and the beach and all the options CA offers. I want to be near the city to take classes and for the nightlife (no more suburbs, my kids are all grown. Been there. Done that). I love the CA weather and everything else but I'm getting concerned as I read posts here. I know the traffic is horrible. And from posts here it sounds like so many areas are unsafe (but what city isn't?). I'm also concerned about the huge salary you need to make to live in SoCal. I've read posts that could drive you away screaming with flames coming from your hair (Unless that's the pint. Keep out the newbies. Haha). So I guess my question is this. Is there an area for a 51 year old single woman who wants to enjoy the California lifestyle and all it's glory without having to live right IN Los Angeles? But not have to sit for 3 hours on a freeway to go in to LA? Am I dreaming that this exists? Some have mentioned Ventura or south Pasadena or silver lake. I just don't know if they will be too quiet for me. I don't need the nightclub life, I'm pretty laid back and not into clubs, but I don't want a bedroom community. I don't have a job yet and so I'm not sure where I'll be working. All I know is I have to start my life completely over again (this was not the plan!) and thought if I'm going to do it I might as well go for it and live where I've always wanted to live. But some of these posts on here are scaring the heck out of me. Your thoughts? Thanks so much!
The only way for anyone to give you some advice is if you can give everyone and idea of your salary, debt situation, savings situation and such. If you do not make a very good income plan on sharing a room.You do need a good salary to live even in a 1 BDRM APT in a decent area.

Traffic and Crowding is endemic in SoCal and even a short drive in miles can be a long drive in time. The beach and weather is great, but unless you are close to them (costing more money) it can be a hassle getting to them, and then finding parking. Crime is like in any city, it depends on where you are and when. SoCal is not a major crime infested place.

Old 11-26-2017, 06:42 AM

80 posts, read 84,643 times
Hey Newlife51,

I'm in a somewhat similar situation as you. As the good people here have already said, providing more info about your income/debt/preferred lifestyle/activities will help people give you concrete suggestions.

After spending some time lately reading some of the other C-D forums (NYC in particular), I do have the impression that there's a lot more negativity in the LA forum, for whatever reason. Maybe that's where all the jaded people end up?

It seems like life in LA can quickly be felt as a struggle, against so many external factors - traffic, high costs, taxes, pollution, gentrification, crime, politicians, gangs, and more. At least that's the impression that's easy to get from reading the forum here.

At 51, and having lived in Florida, wouldn't that be a good option for you? Low taxes, low cost of living, sunny, warm weather, and several different urban centers to choose from depending on what kind of lifestyle you like. Maybe not as many options for hiking there. Just thinking out loud.

Surf

Old 11-26-2017, 08:55 AM

925 posts, read 1,066,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
The only way for anyone to give you some advice is if you can give everyone and idea of your salary, debt situation, savings situation and such. If you do not make a very good income plan on sharing a room.You do need a good salary to live even in a 1 BDRM APT in a decent area.

Traffic and Crowding is endemic in SoCal and even a short drive in miles can be a long drive in time. The beach and weather is great, but unless you are close to them (costing more money) it can be a hassle getting to them, and then finding parking. Crime is like in any city, it depends on where you are and when. SoCal is not a major crime infested place.
I get so tired of people thinking the only way to get around LA is to drive. It has a great Metro system and if your smart you use it instead of driving. Just went to Santa Monica yesterday on train. No worries about traffic or parking.

Old 11-26-2017, 09:35 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,969,243 times
Do not move here! You’re a 51 year old woman. You will be competing with many old women for an eligible older man with financial means to afford a home in a nice area, near the beach, a city with some night life. Men die young here from the stress of making a living, raise a family, or just get financially broke from a divorce. You will be competing with women who have fine-tune their gold-digging skills all their lives here for a slim-picking of older men.

Do you have friends here? If so, come for vacation & get to know “the lay of land” and your competition. Do you need a job here? How about finding one first? Are you able to support the life style you desire here? If you want to get back to the “dating market”, do you need to go back to the gym? Finance some nip & tuck? Yup, it is THAT superficial here! Let’s face it, if you want “just a nice guy” you can find one anywhere.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:27 AM

5,267 posts, read 4,184,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HB2HSV View Post
Do not move here! You’re a 51 year old woman. You will be competing with many old women for an eligible older man with financial means to afford a home in a nice area, near the beach, a city with some night life. Men die young here from the stress of making a living, raise a family, or just get financially broke from a divorce. You will be competing with women who have fine-tune their gold-digging skills all their lives here for a slim-picking of older men.

Do you have friends here? If so, come for vacation & get to know “the lay of land” and your competition. Do you need a job here? How about finding one first? Are you able to support the life style you desire here? If you want to get back to the “dating market”, do you need to go back to the gym? Finance some nip & tuck? Yup, it is THAT superficial here! Let’s face it, if you want “just a nice guy” you can find one anywhere.
She didn't say anything about wanting to find a guy

Old 11-26-2017, 10:38 AM

4,795 posts, read 4,825,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
I get so tired of people thinking the only way to get around LA is to drive. It has a great Metro system and if your smart you use it instead of driving. Just went to Santa Monica yesterday on train. No worries about traffic or parking.
Public transportation sucks. It's only useful in a small percentage of LA county. If it was good you wouldnt have millions of people sitting in traffic every day. If I didn't have to sit in my car for 2-3 hrs a day I wouldn't and I'm sure most people wouldn't.

Old 11-26-2017, 10:39 AM

9,807 posts, read 11,147,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Good point, but she did say she didn't have a job, and since there was no mention of other income streams, I am going to assume it was a fake post.

Old 11-26-2017, 11:16 AM

8,742 posts, read 12,969,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Not directly. Say said she’s a 51 yr old woman who’s recently divorced and want to “... enjoy California lifestyle in all its glory...” and that she currently does not have a job here. She loves hiking and go to beach and also want to be closer by the city to enjoy the night life. This woman is done with the suburbs & the bedroom community. She is looking for a new start in life, new adventures, new excitements, and that will include a new man in her life.

Sure, even a blind squirrel bumps into an acorn once a while. But in SoCal, that would be a left-over acorn well worn, all chewed out, nothing left and left on side of road to shrivel up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles