Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 02:19 PM

473 posts, read 2,755,887 times

Advertisements

exactly...and many of my relatives have HORRIBLE accents. Some of them had to learn english at 40-50 years old,but at least they speak the language, at least they try, at least they conform to the culture instead of forcing everybody into theirs.

I'm the only one in my family w/out an accent. But whenever an american is around we always speak in English. Anything else would be rude.

People do not understand their rights to want to speak their language does not supercede my right to understand what they are saying. You want to keep speaking your language? FINE, keep doing so, nothing is stopping you...but LEARN ENGLISH TOO.

If i went to live in mexico and refused to learn spanish...i would be deemed crazy, rude, lazy, and i'm sure a bunch of other things.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2007, 02:20 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,076,397 times
You wouldn't want to go to Mexico's public schools anyway.

Also, U.S. public schools are required to teach EVERYONE, not just people who know English. That means that the boy who doesn't know English but knows Tamil MUST be taught in Tamil by the school district. The school district's job is to teach the boy English and instruct the boy in Tamil until he knows enough English.

Old 01-17-2007, 02:25 PM

why learn english if the schools are catering to you anyway? like i said it fosters laziness. Nothing better than immersion learning for children, trust me they pick it up fast.

Though i was born here in america for financial reasons my mother sent me to live w/ relatives in the philippines my first 4 years of life. When I came back in the first week of August I spoke no English, absolutely none! My mother had already enrolled me into kindergarten which started in September.

Mind you, even HER AND I didn't understand each other, because my father's family spoke a different dialect than her. She sat down with me every night for that month from when she came home from work, to when it was time to bed and taught me English and her dialect so we could understand each other.. Nonstop. 20 days. Guess what? started my first day of kindergarten in september, teacher had no idea i just got in from a foreign country. Just because its hard doesnt mean it cant be done.

that's part of this country's problem, is people arent even willing to try anymore. I ABHOR this lazy attitude.

Old 01-17-2007, 03:56 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,081,113 times
Default Generalizations make it worse

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBaillo View Post
Just because its hard doesnt mean it cant be done.

that's part of this country's problem, is people arent even willing to try anymore. I ABHOR this lazy attitude.
This is a broad generalization that fails to deal with reality. Some people may be more or less willing than others "to try," but it's wholly unfair and short-minded to slam every new immigrant as lazy or otherwise unwilling to learn. What's LAZY is jumping to broad conclusions instead of dealing with the complexities of language and immigration issues on the ground.

Besides, there are few things more UN-AMERICAN than collective punishment. That's NOT what this country is about.

Last edited by Winston Smith; 01-17-2007 at 04:20 PM..

Old 01-17-2007, 03:57 PM

and i think the time for excuses is done. The time for catering is done.

Old 01-17-2007, 04:40 PM

252 posts, read 1,127,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
This is a broad generalization that fails to deal with reality. Some people may be more or less willing than others "to try," but it's wholly unfair and short-minded to slam every new immigrant as lazy or otherwise unwilling to learn. What's LAZY is jumping to broad conclusions instead of dealing with the complexities of language and immigration issues on the ground.

Besides, there are few things more UN-AMERICAN than collective punishment. That's NOT what this country is about.
So you call it a "broad generalization" for those who can't deal with reality regarding those that can't speak English? My reality as an immigrant was that I learned whatever necessary to become part of this culture.

How about this: How many other languages does an average person from Mexico/Central America speak other than Spanish in their native country? And yet, they feel the entitlement that USA accomodate them in their own speak?

Lazy is not jumping to conclusions, lazy is not trying. And since when did education become "collective punishment"?

So until those same countries with persons that demand English not be the official language of the US, put out ballots or any other legal documents and schools in 5 languages other than Spanish, they can pound sand.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:17 PM

Default It's lazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snb3 View Post
So you call it a "broad generalization" for those who can't deal with reality regarding those that can't speak English? My reality as an immigrant was that I learned whatever necessary to become part of this culture.

How about this: How many other languages does an average person from Mexico/Central America speak other than Spanish in their native country? And yet, they feel the entitlement that USA accomodate them in their own speak?

Lazy is not jumping to conclusions, lazy is not trying. And since when did education become "collective punishment"?

So until those same countries with persons that demand English not be the official language of the US, put out ballots or any other legal documents and schools in 5 languages other than Spanish, they can pound sand.
I'm glad you brought this up. It's lazy to jump to conclusions and smack millions of people with the same assumption, is what I wrote. I stand by that.

I'm an immigrant, too. But I came from a rich country in northern Europe that requires English instruction starting in the second grade -- and STILL the language transition was tough when I first arrived here. The economies of Mexico and Latin America hardly have the money to teach their populations proper Spanish. How can we expect them to be fluent in a second? This is what we're dealing with when they show up here!

What do we gain by collectively lambasting these people because they come from circumstances less fortunate than ours?

Last edited by Winston Smith; 01-17-2007 at 05:42 PM..

Old 01-17-2007, 05:22 PM

4,875 posts, read 10,076,397 times
In TX, the schools HAVE to make the kids learn English - the state requires all high school seniors to graduate with passing grades from TAKS, including an English essay portion. The TAKS tests are always given in English after the 6th grade.

This should be the optimal solution, then

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBaillo View Post
why learn english if the schools are catering to you anyway? like i said it fosters laziness. Nothing better than immersion learning for children, trust me they pick it up fast.

Though i was born here in america for financial reasons my mother sent me to live w/ relatives in the philippines my first 4 years of life. When I came back in the first week of August I spoke no English, absolutely none! My mother had already enrolled me into kindergarten which started in September.

Mind you, even HER AND I didn't understand each other, because my father's family spoke a different dialect than her. She sat down with me every night for that month from when she came home from work, to when it was time to bed and taught me English and her dialect so we could understand each other.. Nonstop. 20 days. Guess what? started my first day of kindergarten in september, teacher had no idea i just got in from a foreign country. Just because its hard doesnt mean it cant be done.

Old 01-17-2007, 05:44 PM

Default Yes, so let them go to school

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicman View Post
In TX, the schools HAVE to make the kids learn English - the state requires all high school seniors to graduate with passing grades from TAKS, including an English essay portion. The TAKS tests are always given in English after the 6th grade.

This should be the optimal solution, then
Yes, and a good reason for not denying "them" education.

Old 01-17-2007, 06:10 PM

252 posts, read 1,127,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cre8 View Post
I'm glad you brought this up. It's lazy to jump to conclusions and smack millions of people with the same assumption, is what I wrote. I stand by that.

I'm an immigrant, too. But I came from a rich country in northern Europe that requires English instruction starting in the second grade -- and STILL the language transition was tough when I first arrived here. The economies of Mexico and Latin America hardly have the money to teach their populations proper Spanish. How can we expect them to be fluent in a second? This is what we're dealing with when they show up here!

What do we gain by collectively lambasting these people because they come from circumstances less fortunate than ours?

I, too come from a country (South Asia) that used to be poor like Latin America. Similar to where you're from, English is taught as a requirement. But the "Poor country" excuse doesn't work. If it is their excuse, those countries will be poor forever and have no future. Don't ruin ours. My country was poor, no longer. Stronger case in point: all those so called poor 3rd world countries with English call centers serving us.

It was tough. But as they say, the tough get going, tough don't quit. The tough at least give effort. I suppose we've had somewhat similar experiences growing up.

By reading your 2nd paragraph, you suggest in practical terms, that the US subsidize Latin America's educational & social system. In effect, thats the end result of what your supporting, either pay for their citizen's education or as you suggest, don't and as a result, the dumbing down of our country to where language skills are not needed.
The problem is, many refuse to learn. There's all kinds of schools, online courses, books, etc. They simply choose to watch Univision and listen to Cucuy.
what country do you want to live in?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles