Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2018, 12:24 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,703,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
It's real hard to plan when you have a job that pays $11 or $12 an hour, in fact in most parts of the country it's tough to even pay rent and keep a car running on that. You can blame everything on poor planning but keep in mind that there are millions of people who are proud that they can make it from one payday to the next and still put food on the table the day before they get paid.

There are thousands of families with at least one parent working who now live in a car or a motorhome, and this is happening at a time when our government thought the best use of 1.5 trillion dollars was giving tax breaks to corporations and our wealthiest citizens.
Well how about our mayor? 10 million dollars for a legal defense fund for people who are technically brekng the law by being in the US illegally.

The roads here are horrible, and I notice the ones that do get repaired are getting patch jobs, and in no time at all they're back to the way they were.

How about 10 million for the homeless for some housing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
So what's the solution?

$30 hr minimum wage ?

You need to make it attractive for businesses to do business here or they do it elsewhere .

Have you heard of all the billions coming back to America specifically because of the tax plan ?
Have you heard about the companies giving out bonuses to their employees because of the tax plan ?

Whose fault is it if someone is working for $11 or $12?

That's a choice .

It sucks to work for a low wage but it doesn't have to be a life sentence either .
Exactly, seems to be lost on some.

I remember reading about one woman was whining about working in fast food for the last 8 years. In that time even going to college part time you could have earned a degree or learned a trade.

You see they want to have to study or put any effort into learning, just show them the money. Whether you study finance, law, medicine, etc it's going to take time and effort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2018, 12:32 PM

42,880 posts, read 26,460,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
So what's the solution?
$30 hr minimum wage ?
You need to make it attractive for businesses to do business here or they do it elsewhere .
Have you heard of all the billions coming back to America specifically because of the tax plan ?
Have you heard about the companies giving out bonuses to their employees because of the tax plan ?
Whose fault is it if someone is working for $11 or $12?
That's a choice .
It sucks to work for a low wage but it doesn't have to be a life sentence either .
I never said there was a solution, did I? What I said is that all this poor blaming/poor shaming is just BS, it's a convenient way for people to avoid facing the fact that there are people who for various reasons can't put $500 or $1000 a month in a 401k. What is it that you don't understand about that?

But it's ok I love to read all the admonishments and finger wagging by bootstrappers on these forums because I bet a lot of them are a month away from being homeless themselves, talk is cheap.

Old 02-16-2018, 12:42 PM

17,815 posts, read 25,703,418 times
Quote:
I never said there was a solution, did I? What I said is that all this poor blaming/poor shaming is just BS, it's a convenient way for people to avoid facing the fact that there are people who for various reasons can't put $500 or $1000 a month in a 401k. What is it that you don't understand about that?

But it's ok I love to read all the admonishments and finger wagging by bootstrappers on these forums because I bet a lot of them are a month away from being homeless themselves, talk is cheap.
No one says you have to put away $500 a month into a 401K.

My first job in LA after college wasn't high paying, I had student loan debt. I still managed to put $25 a week into the company credit union.

When you're working for minimum wage you don't need a $300 smart phone and monthly bill of $75, you get a the cheapest phone possible and T Mobile(and I am sure other carriers do as well) a pay as you go plan for $25 a month with unlimited talk and texting. In fact you can usually get a phone with one of these plans, it has the basics, that's all you need not 10,000 apps.

You're right, many today are only a few paychecks from the street, because they spend everything they earn. When you're doing your $5 Starbucks Mon-Fri and even eating fast food at lunch(which isn't good for you) for almost $10, well right there that is $75 a week.

Right there is $3,600 a year.

I really think a lot of people today(and especially those who never pay with cash and just pull out the debit/credit card) aren't tracking how much they spend and where they could save at least some money.

Old 02-16-2018, 01:17 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,540,809 times
Quote:

I don't think it's so much poor shaming .

I think people are just tired of people that have like 5 kids by CHOICE and expect to be able to support them with a min wage job .

The ones that feel entitled to $15 hr wages and endless benefits .

Then when they get $15 they'll want $20 etc

Old 02-16-2018, 01:25 PM

26,839 posts, read 27,005,584 times
Quote:
What I said is that all this poor blaming/poor shaming is just BS, it's a convenient way for people to avoid facing the fact that there are people who for various reasons can't put $500 or $1000 a month in a 401k.
Agreed, and some of them aren't even old enough to have a job.

An author of a children's book, who was formerly homeless:

"On the weekends, Sanchez and her father had nowhere to go during the long hours when the shelter was closed."

Angela Sanchez, a blossoming L.A. writer, was once homeless. Her children's book 'Scruffy and the Egg' tells the tale - LA Times

Old 02-16-2018, 01:34 PM

19 posts, read 41,702 times
Which has the most homelessness by m²? SF or LA?

Which good neighborhoods in LA has the less homelessness? (If there is one).

Old 02-16-2018, 03:35 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,474,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

My first job in LA after college wasn't high paying, I had student loan debt. I still managed to put $25 a week into the company credit union.

When you're working for minimum wage you don't need a $300 smart phone and monthly bill of $75, you get a the cheapest phone possible and T Mobile(and I am sure other carriers do as well) a pay as you go plan for $25 a month with unlimited talk and texting. In fact you can usually get a phone with one of these plans, it has the basics, that's all you need not 10,000 apps.

You're right, many today are only a few paychecks from the street, because they spend everything they earn. When you're doing your $5 Starbucks Mon-Fri and even eating fast food at lunch(which isn't good for you) for almost $10, well right there that is $75 a week.

I really think a lot of people today(and especially those who never pay with cash and just pull out the debit/credit card) aren't tracking how much they spend and where they could save at least some money.
This is so true. It isn't simply how much a person makes, it is how careful they are with what they do make, and so many today throw it away.

This does not obviously cover all people, but the poor today do not live in tents, that is the homeless who are (generally) the real poor.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:24 PM

10,681 posts, read 6,138,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
So anywhere outside SF is bumfugg no where? What's wrong with being a mgr?? You and Joe sound very much a like. Step outside your elitist box... there's plenty of places where the rich/poor gap isn't big. Geez I hate millennials
Well Millennials were the ones told that you work hard and go to college, you wont end up flipping burgers for the rest of your life.

We're willing to take those menials jobs. But at this point it just feels so easy to fall further and harder to climb. That's what people like Baby Boomers don't see.

Go to my job. Millenials. Working two jobs. Some have to bus it all the way from Van Nuys. Still going to school. A group of friends that I'm with pretty much hold each other down. Someone fell through hard times and we all helped her by giving her a place to stay and eventually she got her own place again.

Then all my friends who run a studio in North Hollywood. We all just started this thing after renting a recording studio for 3 years. We got our own building. The head of the team is only 28 with big ambitions and everyone there is no older than 30 and as young as 18. People come from all over the world. People as young as 16 with nothing but the clothes on their back and they hustle. Within the team, someone falls through hard times, we help them out. My friend lets them stay at the studio til they can get back on their feat. Like a family.

So excuse me when I say, you take you should open your eyes more. If there's one thing we learned that you guys fail to see, is that all we have is one another. That's one optimistic outlook for the next generation. While older generations are calling everyone snowflakes and whiners.

No buddy. We pull through and work hard. Stop getting all your info from Fox and Friends.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:26 PM

42,880 posts, read 26,460,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post

I've been poor and I've worked with the poor, I don't know any who buy $5 starbucks coffees or $300 phones. You are more than welcome to invent stereotypes of the poor but that doesn't mean that anyone will believe them.

Old 02-16-2018, 04:33 PM

26,839 posts, read 27,005,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicano3000X View Post
Well Millennials were the ones told that you work hard and go to college, you wont end up flipping burgers for the rest of your life.

We're willing to take those menials jobs. But at this point it just feels so easy to fall further and harder to climb. That's what people like Baby Boomers don't see.
I agree. Many of we Baby Boomers have Millennial children, and lots of them are struggling to get by here, doing as you mentioned: working two jobs, having multiple roommates, paying off student loans, delaying purchasing a home, etc. Expensive electronic equipment and annual passes to Disneyland went out the window during the 2008 recession. I'm surprised that more people don't see this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles