Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 12:30 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,687,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skreem2 View Post
I hear you. But then again, we're not talking about San Francisco here, we're talking about Los Angeles. It's a different world down here.
You're correct... Sometimes I think California should be separated between North and South... issues and concerns are often very different and regional...

The problem is where to draw the line... many in the North would want San Francisco to be in the South..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2008, 07:41 PM

49 posts, read 200,494 times
I will agree that people need to take responsibility within their own actions. Namely people who choose to act without "class and respect" and expect to get jobs that way. One can't act with a disrespectful attitude at the bottom of the corporate ladder, and in turn expect to rise above everyone else. That goes for the poor kid from the gutter, or the rich kid livin in bel-air.
It also pisses me off to know my taxes are paying for idiots who don't even want to work. That has nothing to do with race either. Every race has a population of recepients on welfare. In fact most "Illegal or Legal Mexicans" work their asses off and refuse to recieve welfare.

I also have no hatred for people who worked their asses off for everything they have. Who faced the possibility of "Rise or Fall" in the business world. They gambled and took a chance. I have nothing but love for people like this. It's the Old Money, and the people who choose to support the other "Rich Elite". While they exploit the underclass.

I disagree with the "It's not my fault, it's theirs" remark about my generation. I think it's quite the opposite. Alot of my Generation(in their 20's) have the Me attitude. But more in the attitude of.."**** it..I gotta make my own way..Illegal or Legal". Which is why alot of us see no choice but to slang weed to make it out of poverty. I don't agree with this view on making it. But how can someone survive even making double the minimum wage nowadays? When I was living in the San Fernando Valley. One full time job just wasn't cutting my rent. I had to work 60 hours a week just to feel comfortable.

Sure it's easy to say...well why don't u go to College and do something with your life. It' not that easy when you have to work two jobs rightt out of high school to support yourself or even your family. Some of us can't recieve a sufficient amount of financial aid, or even getting help from our parents.

Middle Class jobs don't exist anymore. My father is one of the last breed of the middle class(he works at GM). Some of us weren't meant to sit in cubicles. Nor do some of us have good sales or business skills. But sadly..this is what our economy is based on nowadays. SELLING YOURSELF. If you show you have no confidence. Your screwed. Because the only way out of poverty for most of us ...is to start are own businesses...whether it's selling marijuana, fashion, or art. And thats the truth. And what does a college degree mean anymore? As far as I see...I have tons of friends who put themselves out there in the business world...and are stressed out that they start out at $10/ an hour...have bills coming..and the only way to deal with it..is to live at home till their 30.

REVOLUTION will come. And it won't be aimed at the Upper Class. It will be aimed at something much higher. If you get my drift. If your with it...you understand. If you hate it...then you better get out of the way. That's nonfiction!

Old 05-27-2008, 07:52 PM

49 posts, read 200,494 times
And dont' get me started on the Baby-Boomer generation. You may of felt you achieved something back in the days. But only a small percentage deserve credit for what they did. The rest of the generation were a bunch of kids who wanted to get high and party, and would go home to their suburban lives. While the real people who endured struggle and created freedom for minorities we're imprisoned and shunned as criminals. Once the baby-boomers got out of college..they became what they hated in the 60's. Baby-Boomers became the first "Me" generation..that would pass it down to Generation X and Y..and so on.

Old 05-27-2008, 11:29 PM

2,464 posts, read 6,469,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaKEEn View Post
As we know, the middle class is shrinking and the gap between the rich and the poor is widening in Los Angeles. As an architecture major student, I want to design a building that makes an individual experience this situation. I wanted to incorporate the widening gap between two social class in L.A. Therefore, I want to hear your opinion about the experiences each group faces in L.A. Also, how does the future look for this two groups? Will the gap widen or shrink? Is there a solution?
This sounds like a college essay question... it's hurting my head...

Old 05-28-2008, 01:03 AM

1,297 posts, read 5,510,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakana View Post
And dont' get me started on the Baby-Boomer generation. You may of felt you achieved something back in the days. But only a small percentage deserve credit for what they did. The rest of the generation were a bunch of kids who wanted to get high and party, and would go home to their suburban lives. While the real people who endured struggle and created freedom for minorities we're imprisoned and shunned as criminals. Once the baby-boomers got out of college..they became what they hated in the 60's. Baby-Boomers became the first "Me" generation..that would pass it down to Generation X and Y..and so on.
Your generalizing way too much. Every generation thinks they are some unique center of the universe. Guess what.. they end up all the same boat.
It's called growing up and facing the reality that has always been there. How you interact with that reality is what will make the difference.

Foresight, in all things including finance, budget, family planning, education, and risk will take you far.

Old 05-28-2008, 03:21 AM

3,283 posts, read 5,208,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTGJR View Post
[DISCLAIMER: I am NOT advocating that mother's stay home and not work. This was the 60's for gosh sake]
just as well you put that disclamer in there, i know a few morons who would jump all over that one to the annoyance of posters who want to have sensible debate!

Old 05-28-2008, 09:13 AM

1,398 posts, read 6,607,352 times
O ye of little history! The Roaring 20's was the first "me generation." It's a pity the younger generations don't have relatives old enough to provide them with a grand sweep of first hand accounts of Americana and socio-politics. I treasured the accounts my grandparents told me of the U.S. from 1900 to 1980's when they were alive. Also, it's life experience that gives one insight. Should I trust an 18-year-old's take on economics? Actually, the best insights come from the combination of Passion (youth) and Experience (non-youth) working together on the same ideas. But Passion doesn't want to play.

Back to topic. Los Angeles in the 1910s, as visited by my grandfather, sounds like another world. Social fluidity, easy entree to the entertainment business (Charlie Chaplin filmed at the Santa Monica pier during his visit, very accessable,) gorgeous vistas in all directions, ease of buying real estate: everything one doesn't find today.

Last edited by fastfilm; 05-28-2008 at 09:26 AM..

Old 05-28-2008, 01:46 PM

148 posts, read 471,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakana View Post
In fact most "Illegal or Legal Mexicans" work their asses off and refuse to recieve welfare.
Surely, you jest with that ridiculously stereotypical comment. Most Illegal or Legal Mexicans work their asses off and refuse to receive welfare?

Except that even the most conservative estimates on what illegal aliens alone cost the city/county/local, state, and federal governments (and hence, taxpayers) is in the tens of billions of dollars per year.

They refuse to receive welfare? Oh really? Is that why our hospital and public health care system are losing so much money - the billions of dollars in treatment that illegals are given, often non life threatening, non emergency healthcare, that is virtually never repaid? What do you call "free" healthcare? Wouldn't that constitute welfare?

Have you never heard of the phenomenon of the anchor baby? That these overpoppers cross the border at 9+ months pregnant so that they can deliver a baby in a US hospital (for "free"), that child is now a US citizen, and entitled to full welfare benefits to the tune of tens of thousands of dollars?

There are huge masses of illegal aliens collecting welfare on behalf of multiple such anchor babies, and on top of that if any of the illegals in the familia work they will get paid cash under the table...tax free.

Bah, I'm not even going to bother breaking it down any further...it's pointless to argue with someone who makes such a clueless, ridiculous generalization that flies in the face of reality.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:55 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,201,982 times
I'd be curious to see a cost/benefit analysis on illegal immigration. On one hand, illegal immigration helps keep product and service costs lower because illegal workers can be paid lower than the minimum wage with absolutely no benefits. However, as stated by karkyco, there is also a tax burden in regards to many illegal immigrants.

Old 05-28-2008, 02:55 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,640,648 times
http://www.fairus.org/site/DocServer....pdf?docID=141
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles