Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2008, 03:11 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,199,581 times

Advertisements

"This study looks at the fiscal costs and tax payments associated with illegal immigration. It does not look at the goods and services produced by illegal alien workers."

That study is totally missing the benefit portion of the analysis I was looking for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2008, 03:49 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,989 times
Bigger is not always better.

Immigration cost vs. benefit is only one factor of unplanned growth.

The State officials and large corps (including religion) like a huge & growing customer base. The more people buying their products & services, the better. So its become status quo to "grow" taxes,receipts, production, sales etc. every year at the expense of those living in these growth areas. Walmart, costco, target, etc are all corps that look at the bottom line "profit" with little to no regard to the overall quality of life of the general public.

Old 05-28-2008, 04:19 PM

240 posts, read 1,423,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaKEEn View Post
As we know, the middle class is shrinking and the gap between the rich and the poor is widening in Los Angeles. As an architecture major student, I want to design a building that makes an individual experience this situation. I wanted to incorporate the widening gap between two social class in L.A. Therefore, I want to hear your opinion about the experiences each group faces in L.A. Also, how does the future look for this two groups? Will the gap widen or shrink? Is there a solution?
What an interesting project. How about a picture of any apartment building in the city and below the picture of the building 3 bank accounts: 1) the wealthy apartment owner with all the rent checks being deposited into the account, 2) the middle class renter with the rent payment circled but with plenty leftover to live on in the bank account and the statement showing a retirement account that is well-funded, and 3) the poor person's bank account showing that the rent was paid and the balance in the account is now .91 cents.

I think you need to look at historical trends to get a picture of where LA has been and where it is headed. Perhaps, in the 70's a middle class family could still purchase a home and pay for it within the family's lifetime. However, now that home prices have skyrocked to the half million dollar mark, it seems to me that the purchase of a home by a middle class family today would be on a multi-generational time plan with all generations contributing to the mortgage. The family would purchase the home with the intention that the mortgage could be paid in full by the next generation. This seems completely absurd to me. It does not surprise me that many middle class families are looking for the exits to build a better life for their family. After a few years, many figure out that the carrot being held out (the picture of a beautiful home with nice cars and fully funded retirement plans) is only going to go to a few lucky ones and the majority will have to accept less here or move somewhere else for a better quality of life.

Good luck on your project.

Old 05-28-2008, 06:36 PM

49 posts, read 200,475 times
Default In response

I will agree my generalization of the "Me" generation was a bad remark. I went off on a angered rant. haha.
It could defenitely be taken back to the 20's and 30's. My remark was just in defense to my generation. And I do understand each generation will be looked down upon by previous generations. And i agree...we all will end up in the same boat. A part of growing up and facing reality. A revolution will occur because those same Baby-Boomers are starting to understand what the younger generations are seeing for our future. And the younger generations have alot more anger to do something. Instead of talking about change, we will MAKE change.

To Karkyco:
We're getting screwed by corporate conglomerates who hurt our economy more than some "Illegals" ever would.

Taxes are being wasted more on the "War on Terrorism"! How do you fight terrorism. You can't.

The "War on Drugs"- ummmm..let me see. People are still getting high on coke and herion. People are getting locked up for selling a natural herb? Wait..what is the real threat? IT's AMERICAN PRODUCED NARCOTICS. Oxys and Vicodins.
"
Homeland Security"- I don't even want to go off on how much that makes no sense.

To the welfare remark. I indicated that all immigrants and cultures have their hand in the welfare basket. From actually getting to know "Mexicans and Mexican-Americans...i know from firsthand the majority of these families refuse to be on welfare. They would rather work two 40/hr "Under the table" jobs for minimum wage, then to ever recieve handouts. I hate to use stereotypes..but why do you think so many live 8-10 in a 2bdr home? So everyone in the household can support each other. Were German and Irish immigrants any different than mexicans? Let's be serious now. Mexicans are nothing but the new scapegoat.
Unlike certain people who create division within race..I choose to get to know and understand my fellow Los Angelenos.
And I will gladly offend all these "Minutemen" and Minutemen Cheerleaders right now. LOS ANGELES was MEXICO. Take it further back...Under Spanish Control...take it back..Native Americans or Amerindians. Get over it. The mexicans and amer-indians never went anywhere. You may of thought they dissapeared when they got pushed across the L.A. River and got kept at bay. But guess what? They created their own striving communities in response. You want to know the difference of my generation? My generation see's past the nonsense. We aren't scared to cross over the L.A. River or Western Ave.
Here comes the response. Your goin to state some facts and numbers of how much illegals are stealing taxes and healthcare. Based on your assumption that every mexican you see is an "illegal". =)

Last edited by Sakana; 05-28-2008 at 06:49 PM..

Old 05-28-2008, 07:22 PM

To Fastfilm.

I respect your response in terms to the generation gaps.

But i disagree with how you felt Hollywood was such a grand place back in the days. Maybe for those who lived in their white's only fantasy land. You must of forgotten about the treatment handed to the Mexicans, African-Americans and Japanese. Hell even the Okies and Arkies got disrespected.
That was then and I hold no hatred towards white people in a whole. But tell that to my grandparents who we're raped and stripped of their homes and farms because all the Japanese were evil and didn't deserve to be called Americans. Just trying to paint a picture for how life was like back then for us non-white folks.

Old 05-28-2008, 07:24 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakana View Post
You must of forgotten about the treatment handed to the Mexicans....
Battle of Chavez Ravine - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-28-2008, 07:24 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,989 times
Quote:
We're getting screwed by corporate conglomerates who hurt our economy more than some "Illegals" ever would. =)
They feed off eachother.

Quote:
Taxes are being wasted more on the "War on Terrorism"! How do you fight terrorism. You can't.
Yes we can, It's just not in the best interests of the two groups listed above.

Quote:
The "War on Drugs"- ummmm..let me see. People are still getting high on coke and herion. People are getting locked up for selling a natural herb? Wait..what is the real threat? IT's AMERICAN PRODUCED NARCOTICS. Oxys and Vicodins.=)
The real threat are the people who think they need to use these drugs. Guess what would happen if nobody wanted to use coke, pot, heroin?
Everyone would save alot of money and resources.

Quote:
"Homeland Security"- I don't even want to go off on how much that makes no sense..
Which Part? Some sections are and inappropriate, some are not.

Quote:
You want to know the difference of my generation? My generation see's past the nonsense. We aren't scared to cross over the L.A. River or Western Ave.
Here comes the response. Your goin to state some facts and numbers of how much illegals are stealing taxes and healthcare. Based on your assumption that every mexican you see is an "illegal". =)
No facts needed. You sound like every generation before you. You also sound like those who were not scared that one week during the famous looting fest/LA Riots of '92, "the try & get something for nothing". It ended up depressing the area for a long time, drove property prices down so wealthy investors could buy large parcels at a discount and rent them out to those that see past the nonsense and talk about revolution.

The revolution required is within yourself.

Old 05-28-2008, 10:19 PM

First off. I find it funny how you attached additional smiley faces to my response. Nice one! =)

Look I know where your trying to come from. But correct me if i'm wrong and i'm just having delusions. haha.
Your on the whole north american union link between illegals and corporations. I don't support the SPP initiative either due to it's secrecy(riots in montebello). The same way I feel about the War or Terrorism or the War on Drugs. It my eyes I already don't see borders across nations. It means nothing cept going through customs. Atleast it used to be that easy, of course. Anyways.... It will effect all three countries in a whole. Mexico's government further exploits it's own people. America continues to fight in free for all capitalism. As for canadians..i sure can't speak of(but they sure as hell are angry). I don't place America above any other country. It's just my home and where i lay my hat. I look at the world as a whole. Global Understanding. Nomadic Citizens

The War on Drugs is a complete waste of money. You will never be able to stop the flow of drugs. People have always used them and always will. If someone wants to get high, so be it(let the weak fall). They'll do it legally or illegally. If its an issue of money supporting marijuana dealers and growers and in turn not supporting the economy. Then whats the big issue with legalizing marijuana? Also, we pay taxes to keep prisoners behind bars. Millions of which whom are serving sentences for drug possesions(not drug induced crimes).
Further more, How is Prescription drugs any different than "illegal" drugs. You can still crush those pills and snort em. Same thing. The only reason it's okay is because it falls into the hands of corporations.

Homeland Security is a perfect ploy to feed off insecurities associated with 9-11. It's meant to put fear into citizens as the Level goes from Low to Severe. Thats why they chose to implement the act in 2002 after a crisis(not 1998). Media supports the usage of homeland security. Most americans can't stay away from their Tv's. Like a soap opera, their fears fluctuate. It focuses on the people who have the least worries when it comes to terrorist attacks. Which is Middle America. It's the same nonsense with the SPP. Securing borders(America and Canada are allies supposedly) globally. It effects your freedoms in whole. It's meant to shut up the many others like me...who choose to speak their mind.

When I speak of revolution I think you have it confused. I'm not talking about the destruction of rioting and pillaging goods in our own communities. It has nothing to do with destroying the upper class. It has to do with laws and liberties being broken in the pursuit of terrorism.

Charles - Don't try to support something with a Wikipedia article. Come on now. You could of atleast pasted the footnote link from Wikipedia. I'm well aware about the Battle of Chavez Ravine. Your having minutemen delusions. Mexicans aren't your enemies. If you tryed to understand their position, maybe learn a little spanish, and bro down with some tequila and whiskey.

Lastly, I'm not putting Barrack Obama on a pedestal just yet. I'm not trusting of either parties. Both are corrupt. But I have some faith that Obama will make a change for the youth to make a difference. So we'll see what he's about. This is the Revolution I speak of my friend =)

Last edited by Sakana; 05-28-2008 at 10:42 PM..

Old 05-28-2008, 10:54 PM

And just so you know. If the whole SPP act does go through. You shouldn't be worried about mexicans flooding into America. It would actually reduce illegals in this country or keep it steady.
Lou Dobbs has you guys thinking the opposite.

My problem with the SPP is it's under the radar approach.
That and the opening borders/securing borders part.

Old 05-28-2008, 11:23 PM

Default This went way off topic. My bad moderator. Haha

The War on Terrorism is nonsense. You seem to lack faith in us younger folks. Don't forget we grew up with the Internet. We've gained the ability to recieve information, news and history from several sources. I'm not saying we're any smarter. But we've had the ability to access information from all angles. Americans don't read books anymore, because it's all on the internet.

Alot of us are just finding out about our own acts of history in the post-vietnam era.
When I learned that the rest of the world has opposing views on the U.S.Instead of being angry and spouting some American Pride F--- You nonsense. I try to understand why the rest of the world hates us.
9-11 may of sparked fear into some...For some of us it gave access to reach out to world.

When my grandparents speak about the old days. They tell a tale of pain. They explained most minorities had little freedom and could only buy homes in the less desirable areas. But besides the fact. They speak of how they still had certain personal freedoms back then.

I'm just trying to uproot freedom of speech man. Just like you guys.
"The only thing we have to fear is fear itself."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles