Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 12:00 AM

144 posts, read 935,876 times

Advertisements

What I've found is that people don't judge you on the color of your skin, they judge you on how you dress. If a black man came into a mercedes dealer in La Jolla wearing a impeccable suit and a white man came in after him dressed like a thug, tell me who's going to get the more attention.

It's the same thing on the streets in the white towns of N. County San Diego. Our area is pretty white (save for the occasional rich asian or east indian) with the mexicans off by themselves in their apartments. I had a black man come to my door trying to further some political aim. He was flawlessly dressed in a suit and tie and spoke regular english. Replace his skin color to white and he would have been treated no different.

Had he been dressed like a drug dealer or 50 cent, we wouldn't have been so nice.

Even in the WASP capital of the world: Fairfield County, CT....it is the same way. I really can't remember seeing any black people when I go visit my grandma but there's a couple that reside in Greenwich (the richest town in America). I probably don't see them because they're off with their white friends horking coke lines off their marble counter in their gated, 20 acre estate. I digress....At the country club, the talk wasn't about this person's skin color or some race-based discussion, it was about how great of a host she was. Word at the country club was that she threw the best parties for children and adults and had one hell of a Halloween party. Her Labor Day party is great also, I heard.

You would expect that person who sticks out like a choclate chip on a bleached blanket to be discriminated against or be talked down upon. But that simply isn't the case. If you dress in a respectable manner, talk english and are a nice person you won't find racism in Fairfield County or SoCal for the most part. But if you dress like a thug or a drug dealer, whether your black, white, asian or martian, you're going to be suspect at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2006, 03:15 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,484,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dusesean1986 View Post
By the way, this was the Native American's land, and then it was Mexico's, both overtaken by European colonization.

Don't forget "Spanish conquistadors" invading Native Mexican's land too!

See the hypocrisy everyone overlooks?!

Old 12-16-2006, 08:44 AM

1,703 posts, read 6,469,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Don't forget "Spanish conquistadors" invading Native Mexican's land too!

See the hypocrisy everyone overlooks?!
First, I want to give credit to BenzBoy to giving a very neutral point of view. He's right that we should be more judged on other things rather than race. Unfortunately, this isn't always true.

Ok Blue Grass...The Spanish are not Mexicans...An indian(person for india) is not an Iranian..A Navajo Indian is not a Cherokee Indian..So if the (Spanish, Spaniards, Spain) are not related to Mexicans or Native American...even though they both have brown skin...or they both speak spanish...and are incorrectly related to a spanish subtitle...then this is still former Native American and Mexican Lands...and then there's no way out of the "white man's burden" of history, because you are trying to justify to me what happened. After a long period of time in the United States, European settlers' descendants tried to justify things that were not right in the eyes of many, it became known as "white man's burden." I live in Los Angeles, this land was taken forcefully in 1846(U.S. Mexican-American War), and this is coming straight from the mouth of a 100% European.

Old 12-16-2006, 02:06 PM

Mexicans are present-day spaniards.....just as most americans are present-day europeans. There was "natives" in Mexico before Mexico(spanish conquistadors) became a country just as there was natives in America berfore America became a country. It is just funny to hear Mexicans claim european/americans stole the natives'/indians' land when in fact the spanish conquistadors took over what is now present-day Mexico. The only difference is european/americans didn't "melt" as much as the spaniard/mexicans did!

To summarize...Spaniards took land from natives (aztec "indian"-ect.)...fast-foward to present times...Mexicans claim it's their land (the southwest) and say "you thief, you steal from us and "indians", we want our land back"..when in fact, they (spanish conquistadors-Mexicans) took land from "indians" also.

Last edited by Blue Grass Fever; 12-16-2006 at 03:17 PM..

Old 12-16-2006, 03:29 PM

1,703 posts, read 6,469,153 times
The people from Spain are totally different than the people from Mexico. The only thing they have in common is they both speak spanish and Spanish occupied Mexico. What does Spain have to do with Europeans taking Native American and Mexican lands. Spain has no correlation with America's occupation of others' land.

Old 12-17-2006, 09:25 AM

Quote:
The people from Spain are totally different than the people from Mexico. The only thing they have in common is they both speak spanish and Spanish occupied Mexico. What does Spain have to do with Europeans taking Native American and Mexican lands. Spain has no correlation with America's occupation of others' land.
Spain conquered (16th century) an area what is now Mexico! Most of Mexico's people are "a branch from the tree" from Spain.

It's just funny to me that Mexico's people say "the white man" stole land from "indians" and from them when in fact they took land from the "indians" also.(yes-"indians" in Mexico-Aztec-Mayan etc.)

Spain even "owned" New Orleans at one time!

Old 12-18-2006, 01:35 AM

652 posts, read 2,804,959 times
Quote:
Don't be worried about white people being stereotyped as racist. That's called reverse racism or reverse stereotype.
So rather than racism, it's a matter of "reverse" racism, as if the natural flow of racism has been reversed back towards Whites. How are Whites supposed to feel when they're being so blatantly assaulted in this manner? Did Whites invent racism?

Old 12-18-2006, 01:38 AM

Spaniards are Europeans mostly, excepting the ones mixed with Moors.

10% of Mexicans are Spaniards, 10% are unmixed Meso-Americans, and the remaining 80% is Mestizo (mixed Spaniards and Meso-Americans).

Old 04-15-2007, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 2,569 times
I looked at this quite a bit and what really freaks me out is that if you look at just about any city across the country you will see the same thing. For instance look at Charlotte Noth Carolina (not a border town) http://www.indexoftheweb.com/Informa..._Databases.htm several of the top 10 are in the in this group and wanted for MURDER.

It is the same in Chicago (most are in this group) http://www.indexoftheweb.com/Informa..._Databases.htm

It is the same in nearly every city in the US.

Old 04-16-2007, 01:38 AM

Times are changing. This ain't Norman Rockwell's America.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles