Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-22-2019, 03:30 PM

4 posts, read 5,977 times

Advertisements

Hi, we are exploring a move to SoCal from NYC in the coming months. We have 2 kids, ages 15 + 12. Schools are very high on our list of where to live. We have lived in Houston for many years and do not want to replicate the summers like we used to have, so the further inland we go, will likely be vetoed. We are currently in NY and the schools in the district we are in are good, so we want to maintain that continuity.

We have been considering Redondo Beach, PVE, RPV, Torrance, and some other areas. I am curious what the over all take is on those areas specifically in terms of the community and schools. I am not looking for the most competitive high schools that pressure the kids until they break, but I also want a good school at the same time.

We initially had friends who lived in Pasadena try to sell us on Pasadena, but we have been learning more and more lately that the schools there are "so-so" and many opt for private school in that area. At least from what some of them say that live there. The heat over there is kind of a deal breaker for us too.

I am not too concerned about the commuting aspect, as my firm has multiple locations and I am not tied to one location necessarily. I am an attorney and I am in court most mornings, and this could be any of the courthouse locations, so I will be all over the map. Plus, should the area we move to really work out, we can get another office location closer to me in order to accommodate the commuting issue.

We are debating on renting vs. buying, at least for the 1st year. We want to make sure we really like the area and schools. Although I would prefer not to move the kids to a different school once we have moved there from NY. If we could get a great house to buy and it worked out, we would likely do that instead of renting, but it's too soon to tell.

Budget: I would like to stay under $6,500/mo for rent and if we buy I would prefer to stay under $1.3M-$1.4M.

Again, my main focus is on getting them settled in a nice community where the over all vibe is very welcoming for the kids (i.e., where they can make friends in a kid-rich environment). I know some areas in every city are notorious for having neighborhoods where they are not very welcoming to outsiders who were not with them since Kindergarten. We don't want that to happen to us again.

A film program in high school is very important as my son is very in to film and would like to continue on that path at the new high school, if possible. My son is also interested in trying out for the high school football team. Do they have 4 teams in high school (Freshman, Sophomore, Junior, and Varsity) or just 2 teams like in NY (JV + Varsity)?

My daughter plays softball a lot and I can only imagine she will have even more opportunities to play in the CA sun, as opposed to NY (where we have played in April games where the weather was in the 20's and 30's). Areas where they have a vibrant softball program would be ideal.

Any thoughts or feedback on areas to look at, or areas specifically to avoid for any reason (school or in general) would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2019, 03:38 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,823,491 times
While Pasadena schools aren't great, South Pasadena (seperate city) has one of the best public school systems in LA. Of course the top of your price range will barely get you into a 3 bedroom house there but it is possible. Burbank is also a good option where houses a little cheaper but not by much

Old 01-22-2019, 05:00 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
I will recommend the entire Palos Verdes peninsula, all of the schools there are superb 9-10 ratings. The weather is phenomenal, many homes in your price range, and not to mention it's down right gorgeous. From many places you can see all of LA, the San Gabriel mtns, and the Pacific ocean from some spots. It's my favorite place in LA, it's also extremely safe, but it's kind of isolated from lively area's you'd definitely be totally car dependant. It's also kid friendly!

If not here the Redondo Beach area offers almost the same thing, but much closer to lively areas close to the beach, great schools, and homes in your price range.

Old 01-22-2019, 05:07 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,753,374 times
You may want to consider Los Feliz/Silverlake area of Los Angeles, where the middle school is Thomas Starr King and the high school is John Marshall.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:21 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
Culver City should fit the bill.

Old 01-23-2019, 03:30 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,043,863 times
look at Calabasas. Las Virgenes USD has top schools and the HS has a Media and Entertainment Academy.

Old 01-23-2019, 06:35 PM

50 posts, read 38,762 times
I second Culver City! I moved here when my daughter was starting HS after suggestions from members here! The high school is very diverse and ranks high. It offers the Academy of Visual and Performing Arts (AVPA.org). My daughter graduated from the visual art program which is done after school. They partner with many programs and organizations. Culver City is also home to Sony Studios. It is also very central - close to everything including to lots of activities the family can enjoy and the kids can go to by bus or train. The city has it's own resources - fire, police dept. etc. There is a city pool where the students can participate in HS swim team and open for laps, etc and also a teen center. Culver City has become quite expensive but based on your post that doesn't seem to be an issue so I think you should check it out

Good luck!

Old 01-23-2019, 07:08 PM

987 posts, read 779,652 times
I second Calabasas/Agoura Hills area

Old 01-25-2019, 12:37 PM

53 posts, read 50,956 times
RPV, south bay area too, maybe.. if you don't like heat in the summer you want to stay close to the water. The homes in south bay, rpv and culver, a lot of them dont have AC because its that mild in the summer. A lot of folks run it anyway, for those few weeks when its nice. But the fact that many dont need it should give you an idea of how mild summers are on this side of town. Not all of LA is this way. Your budget is enough that you may be able to get into a small house in these areas. Maybe the east end of RPV in a small one.

Sounds like you know what the right areas are.

Last edited by vanilla ice; 01-25-2019 at 12:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles