Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 05:33 PM

55 posts, read 53,466 times

Advertisements

Or at least not in our lifetimes. They’re far too many urban neighborhoods much closer to the coast which is where most people with money want to live. A perfect example is Culver City. A once ordinarily single family style suburb has become a developer’s gold mine due to proximity to Santa Monica and LAX. Century City isn’t necessarily urban but it has plenty of amenities in the surrounding areas (Westwood, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica).

My prediction is that DTLA will continue to improve but will never be the “It” spot for tourist and playground of the elites. Koreatown has a better chance at becoming the most vibrant neighborhood in SoCal. Expect the entire Westside to densify at a faster rate than DTLA.

Just to put it into perspective, DTLA is 15 miles Inland which is the equavalent of El Cajon in San Diego County which is a city that nobody from the coastal parts of the county ever venture into due to distance and it’s always hot.

Conclusion:

DTLA will attract the low budget hipsters/ new grad young professionals who don’t mind living in a slightly higher crime district

The Coast will remain for the elites nomatter how much housing is built. Micro-apartments the size of 400 sq will be rented out for $3,000+ due to “location location location and included luxury amenities”.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2019, 05:53 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,947,840 times
Every where else is priced too high though. DTLA can still be affordable. Where is affordable is where gentrification will take place.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:56 PM

55 posts, read 53,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post
Every where else is priced too high though. DTLA can still be affordable. Where is affordable is where gentrification will take place.
Skidrow is not going away anytime soon.

Old 02-22-2019, 05:58 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,546,640 times
A lot of the gentrification downtown will be driven artists and creative types being pushed out of San Francisco/Oakland.

And, of course, by creative types leaving the LA suburbs and creating "urban infill".

Old 02-22-2019, 06:01 PM

3,877 posts, read 3,896,280 times
If the coast, and the entire westside is already through the roof. Why then do we need downtown to be through the roof as well? DT is developing quite nicely IMO it doesn't have to be the home of the super rich to be the "it" spot, and I live at the coast, and still enjoy DTLA.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:19 PM

25,303 posts, read 21,458,447 times
Downtown L.A isn't cheap these days.

Take a look here at rents.

https://www.apartments.com/downtown-...os-angeles-ca/

There is a ton of development and money being poured into DTLA and has been for several years. Culver City is nice but it's not anything like Downtown L.A.

I don't think i'd want to live in DTLA at least at this point , but I could see the appeal for many people if they are looking for a walkable ,urban area with historic architecture which is the closest thing we have to Manhattan NYC in SoCal.

Old 02-22-2019, 08:47 PM

307 posts, read 242,245 times
There's 18 million people in the metro and not everyone is thinking about living close to the beach. You'd have a point if this was an area of around 2-3 million people but this is far from the case. Also Koreatown will be connected/become an extension of DTLA in about 3-4 years or so

Old 02-22-2019, 09:00 PM

3,208 posts, read 3,551,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maximalist View Post
Or at least not in our lifetimes. They’re far too many urban neighborhoods much closer to the coast which is where most people with money want to live. A perfect example is Culver City. A once ordinarily single family style suburb has become a developer’s gold mine due to proximity to Santa Monica and LAX. Century City isn’t necessarily urban but it has plenty of amenities in the surrounding areas (Westwood, Beverly Hills, Santa Monica).

My prediction is that DTLA will continue to improve but will never be the “It” spot for tourist and playground of the elites. Koreatown has a better chance at becoming the most vibrant neighborhood in SoCal. Expect the entire Westside to densify at a faster rate than DTLA.

Just to put it into perspective, DTLA is 15 miles Inland which is the equavalent of El Cajon in San Diego County which is a city that nobody from the coastal parts of the county ever venture into due to distance and it’s always hot.

Conclusion:

DTLA will attract the low budget hipsters/ new grad young professionals who don’t mind living in a slightly higher crime district

The Coast will remain for the elites nomatter how much housing is built. Micro-apartments the size of 400 sq will be rented out for $3,000+ due to “location location location and included luxury amenities”.
DTLA is already gentrifying a lot. There are some expensive luxury properties, including many that have been popular with foreign investors.

I don't know why you think proximity to the coast is so important. There are a lot of sketchy communities close to the coast. Yet, there are also some very vibrant, wealthy, and luxurious communities to the east of DTLA. La Cañada Flintridge and the San Gabriel Valley are the classic old money areas in Southern California and they have attracted a lot of new investment from all over—including overseas as of late. How familiar are you with the area?

Old 02-22-2019, 10:15 PM

4,627 posts, read 3,395,314 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm1982 View Post
I don't think i'd want to live in DTLA at least at this point , but I could see the appeal for many people if they are looking for a walkable ,urban area with historic architecture which is the closest thing we have to Manhattan NYC in SoCal.
Probably the first and last time we agree on something...I would have left out the Manhattan reference but not going to quibble.

Old 02-22-2019, 10:39 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times
Downtown L.A has enormous potential which is why the developers are building there,because they know that is a prime location even if it's not immediately along the coast....The simple fact you have an L.A Address or live within the Greater L.A Region has lots of advantages though it comes with a high price tag.

Downtown is developing at a good pace and it looks so amazing in many photos with the snowcapped mountains in the backdrop as well.

If I was a Developer or Businessman I would definitely invest in DTLA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles