Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2017, 11:51 AM

239 posts, read 304,751 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I'm currently looking for a house in different areas of LA and I'd really like to be in a coastal location. While I can afford to live in places like Santa Monica, and all the beach cities - I am wondering if San Pedro might be an area where I might see an increase in value over time? Do any of you think that it will gentrify over time or stay the way it is?

My other concern is safety...specifically Dodson Ave right near the Mormon Church. Is this a safe area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2017, 12:10 PM

108 posts, read 130,285 times
Its gritty but I have some friends there and they love it. Try to stay as close as you can to the PV end of it.

By no means is it anything like Manhattan or Hermosa, but to many people that could be seen as a positive!

Old 06-01-2017, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalEhBrent View Post
Its gritty but I have some friends there and they love it. Try to stay as close as you can to the PV end of it.

By no means is it anything like Manhattan or Hermosa, but to many people that could be seen as a positive!
I see you live in Manhattan Beach. What about it do you like and why did you choose to live there opposed to other coastal areas?

Old 06-01-2017, 02:58 PM

908 posts, read 1,302,866 times
I'd avoid San Pedro if you can. Along with nearby Wilmington and Long Beach, it is one of the few coastal areas that are higher crime.

While I wouldn't call San Pedro wholly unsafe, it's not exactly the safest. Gangs do exist in the area. Although as noted, there are nicer parts of the area by PV.

If you can afford to live in other coastal areas like Santa Monica, Manhattan Beach, Redondo Beach, then go for those areas.

I don't see much gentrification happening because it's far from most core job centers and happening areas unlike most parts of LA going through gentrification. Great areas hold their value better than marginal areas during downturns and will shoot up in value again during a bull market.

In essence, buying in San Pedro is a mistake if you afford other beach cities that are safer and nicer.

Old 06-01-2017, 06:36 PM

4,538 posts, read 10,625,744 times
San Pedro has to be just about the worst coastal city in so cal.

Part due to how run down it is, part due to the crime, part due to the proximity of Willmington and the refineries, part due to how much of it is near the harbor, and part due to cabrillo Beach being just about the worst beach in so cal(followed by Dockweiler, Venice, and Santa Monica.)

Old 06-01-2017, 08:48 PM

108 posts, read 130,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dajohnson99 View Post
I see you live in Manhattan Beach. What about it do you like and why did you choose to live there opposed to other coastal areas?
Manhattan Beach is a Tesla compared to San Pedro being a Honda.

Manhattan Beach has better location, far more affluent, almost zero crime, and the best part is that public transit doesn't really get to the beach here which helps keep the riffraff out.

Old 06-02-2017, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CalEhBrent View Post
Manhattan Beach is a Tesla compared to San Pedro being a Honda.

Manhattan Beach has better location, far more affluent, almost zero crime, and the best part is that public transit doesn't really get to the beach here which helps keep the riffraff out.
Okay, cool. I would definitely fit in then considering I have a Tesla.

Thanks!

Old 06-02-2017, 01:45 PM

1,231 posts, read 1,660,267 times
San Pedro is an old blue-collar neighborhood, reminiscent of the ethnic neighborhoods you would find back East or in the Midwest. So, it definitely has that gritty, working-class feel being home to the Port of Los Angeles. A number of immigrants from Italy, Portugal, Croatia, Norway, Japan as well as blacks and Hispanics settled in San Pedro over the years. It does have its nicer parts toward PV and the ocean. The City has been trying to attract more redevelopment along the waterfront and in the central business district with limited success.

Old 06-02-2017, 05:19 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,652,632 times
Have you considered the Seabreeze condo complex? I hear its highly recommended by Eric Garcetti.

Old 06-03-2017, 04:01 PM

3,814 posts, read 4,007,504 times
Polluted
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles