Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2019, 09:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,073 times

Advertisements

Hello, I'm new to the forums. I just had a few questions before I move back this summer to the Palmdale region. My friend since high school told me that the homeless problem is a lot worse in LA than usual. Is it bad up in the Palmdale region? She lives in North Hollywood area, so just wanted to know. Also, how is Palmdale and Lancaster compared to most places? We are relocating from Indiana, my husband and I both have a place to stay until we can find a permanent residence, just wanted to know if its still safe, thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2019, 01:22 PM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marai321 View Post
Hello, I'm new to the forums. I just had a few questions before I move back this summer to the Palmdale region. My friend since high school told me that the homeless problem is a lot worse in LA than usual. Is it bad up in the Palmdale region? She lives in North Hollywood area, so just wanted to know. Also, how is Palmdale and Lancaster compared to most places? We are relocating from Indiana, my husband and I both have a place to stay until we can find a permanent residence, just wanted to know if its still safe, thank you!
Some good info here, though a bit dated. Generally good.

http://www.city-data.com/city/Palmdale-California.html

Old 05-01-2019, 04:46 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,867 times
My brother lives in Palmdale and I visit him, his wife and their three children a couple times a month. Our parents live out in Palmdale as well, not far from him. My cousins in Leona Valley own an orchard.

The general rule with the Palmdale is that west of the 14 freeway is good. This is zip code 93551. Anaverde, Leona Valley and Rancho Vista. It's mostly contractors, aerospace workers, cops, firemen, nurses, military people, teachers and retirees who live in that part of town. They've got a nice mall (Target, Trader Joes, Macy's, Dillards). They are building a Sprouts soon as well.

In Lancaster, you want to stay in zip code 93536 which is also west of the freeway, and includes the small town of Quartz Hill. This is the "college terrace" area of Lancaster. Same general demographic as the one described above. They city has really been trying to clean up the downtown Lancaster area and it looked nice when I visited last month.

As for my brother and parents, they've had no complaints about where they live and they like it.

East of the freeway gets a little more "blue collar" and less nice, but none of them ever go over that way, so it doesn't effect them.

The thing my family love the most about the Lancaster/Palmdale area is that its nice, it's close to LA (I'm an hour away), it's close to the beaches (2 hours) and if you want to drive north, it's just 2 hours to the Kern River, 3 hours to Bishop/Mammoth, 4 hours to Yosemite east entrance.

An aunt lives in Tehachapi, 45 minutes from Palmdale. It's nice but a little too isolated for my liking.

If I had to compare the Antelope Valley to a similar area, it would have to be the central IE:
West of the freeway is like Upland and Rancho Cucamonga. East of the freeway is like Fontana or Rialto. In other words, very typical So Cal.

Old 05-03-2019, 04:24 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
One of my friends moved out there and regretted it. According to them the weather is horrible, crime is a big issue, no cultural amenities, the same tired chain restaurants and big box retailers. Don't expect big returns if you by a home. Schools are not good. Dusty, desolate and too far from all the good things southern California has to offer. Prices of homes are substantially cheaper than Los Angeles but for good reason. Hot in the summer cold in the winter, windy, isolated and too far from everything. Their problem was moving out there and trying to commute to work in Century City. It took 3-4 hrs to get to work every day. This lasted for a year and they were done. They moved back to LA to the Miracle Mile neighborhood and are quite happy.

Old 05-04-2019, 06:06 PM

567 posts, read 430,796 times
Palmdale - Lancaster is a sprawling working class suburb located quite a distance from the core of LA. The vast majority of residents commute long distances to job sites outside the area. Many with jobs in the downtown LA area and the San Fernando Valley use rail transit via MetroLink. Compared to other suburbs, the area is very affordable by LA standards.

Last edited by Angelino19; 05-04-2019 at 07:10 PM..

Old 05-05-2019, 09:38 AM

234 posts, read 303,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
One of my friends moved out there and regretted it. According to them the weather is horrible, crime is a big issue, no cultural amenities, the same tired chain restaurants and big box retailers. Don't expect big returns if you by a home. Schools are not good. Dusty, desolate and too far from all the good things southern California has to offer. Prices of homes are substantially cheaper than Los Angeles but for good reason. Hot in the summer cold in the winter, windy, isolated and too far from everything. Their problem was moving out there and trying to commute to work in Century City. It took 3-4 hrs to get to work every day. This lasted for a year and they were done. They moved back to LA to the Miracle Mile neighborhood and are quite happy.
3-4 hours sounds like a bit of an exaggeration unless you're talking about total round-trip time.

Old 05-05-2019, 12:09 PM

8,452 posts, read 15,034,390 times
Consider that there will soon be a new, 20,000 home development in the Antelope Valley, just approved this week:

https://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2019...telope-valley/

Old 05-06-2019, 05:16 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,542,867 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB316 View Post
3-4 hours sounds like a bit of an exaggeration unless you're talking about total round-trip time.

Lol...that whole post sounded like an exaggeration to me...but who knows?

Old 05-10-2019, 09:15 PM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
Lol...that whole post sounded like an exaggeration to me...but who knows?
No, it's the truth. I have absolutely no reason to waste my time coming on here telling lies.

Old 05-10-2019, 09:43 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,373,059 times
Not buying the 4 hour commute
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles