Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2019, 06:35 PM

37,359 posts, read 41,608,475 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Libraries were quiet area. People were going there to do research, read books etc. That is no longer the case. Purpose of library been changing for a while now. Societal expectation is irrelevant. Everyone is free to their opinion so if something thinks for example i am a jerk, that is totally fine with me.
https://www.nypl.org/help/about-nypl...nd-regulations

The New York Public Library General Rules & Regulations

"The following are NOT allowed at The New York Public Library:

Engaging in conduct that disrupts or interferes with normal operation of the Library, or that disturbs staff or other Library visitors. Such conduct includes:
Harassing or threatening behavior.
Using obscene or abusive language or gestures.
Making unreasonable noise, including loud talking on a cell phone or otherwise."

Library of Congress:

"Silence cell phones and other electronic devices."

"The use of photographic equipment, including tripods and selfie sticks, is prohibited. Please follow the Photography and Video Guidelines."

https://www.loc.gov/static/portals/v...Guidelines.pdf

University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign

https://www.library.illinois.edu/gen...ng_guidelines/

"Because the mission of the University Library is to provide and promote an atmosphere conducive to teaching, learning, and research, we reserve the right to limit photographic, video, or audio recording activities to assure that this atmosphere is maintained. These guidelines apply to spaces inside Library facilities."

"The Library reserves the right to ask any individual or group to cease photographic, video, or audio recording, and, if appropriate, to refer individuals or groups to campus Public Affairs. Individuals or groups who refuse to cease recording upon request by an authorized Library staff member will be considered in breach of the University Library Patron Conduct Policy."

And many more.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2019, 06:47 PM

4,795 posts, read 4,853,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzy_q2010 View Post
https://www.nypl.org/help/about-nypl...nd-regulations

The New York Public Library General Rules & Regulations

"The following are NOT allowed at The New York Public Library:

Engaging in conduct that disrupts or interferes with normal operation of the Library, or that disturbs staff or other Library visitors. Such conduct includes:
Harassing or threatening behavior.
Using obscene or abusive language or gestures.
Making unreasonable noise, including loud talking on a cell phone or otherwise."

Library of Congress:

"Silence cell phones and other electronic devices."

"The use of photographic equipment, including tripods and selfie sticks, is prohibited. Please follow the Photography and Video Guidelines."

https://www.loc.gov/static/portals/v...Guidelines.pdf

University of Illinois at Urbana Champaign

https://www.library.illinois.edu/gen...ng_guidelines/

"Because the mission of the University Library is to provide and promote an atmosphere conducive to teaching, learning, and research, we reserve the right to limit photographic, video, or audio recording activities to assure that this atmosphere is maintained. These guidelines apply to spaces inside Library facilities."

"The Library reserves the right to ask any individual or group to cease photographic, video, or audio recording, and, if appropriate, to refer individuals or groups to campus Public Affairs. Individuals or groups who refuse to cease recording upon request by an authorized Library staff member will be considered in breach of the University Library Patron Conduct Policy."

And many more.
Yes but looker's point that because non of those rules are laws that he or she doesn't have to follow them. That is sense of entitlement in our culture of people of a certain generation that is ruining life for the rest of us

Old 05-21-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanms3030 View Post
Yes but looker's point that because non of those rules are laws that he or she doesn't have to follow them. That is sense of entitlement in our culture of people of a certain generation that is ruining life for the rest of us
True, but if he goes to a library and pokes his camera in the face of someone who does not want to be photographed he might find himself face to face with law enforcement.

Old 05-21-2019, 08:19 PM

4,168 posts, read 2,168,208 times
Quote:
True, but if he goes to a library and pokes his camera in the face of someone who does not want to be photographed he might find himself face to face with law enforcement.

Had that happened already, staff called the cops and got educated. Cops told them that library is public property being it's owned by the city. There is no expectation of privacy in public. Also being i was not doing this for commercial purpose and instead doing if for the press, i was permitted to do it under 1st amendment. After that cops left and i continued to film.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:23 PM

50 posts, read 49,150 times
Quote:
Depending on the area OP was in, it's very possible that the person wasn't violating any laws by using cell phone as it was consider to be general area and not area designed to be quiet area.
It's a study area where everyone was reading books or working on their laptop. I was in the library for almost 2 hours. Other than the cellphone lady, I didn't see any other disturbances. There were some students doing the group study, a table next to me. Even they were whispering only.

I am assuming talking louder inside the library may not necessarily be a law and so the cellphone lady may not be violating any. But to me being reasonably quiet in the library is not about whether it's law or not, it's about common sense. I have seen few library guests talking in the cellphone all the time, but they talk in a way that no could hear, which don't bother the other guests.

Also I respect the first amendment. One of the freedom is, you can record whatever you see as long as it is a public property. But I don't know whether talking loud in a library and disrupting other guests comes under this.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamaGoodCitizen View Post
It's a study area where everyone was reading books or working on their laptop. I was in the library for almost 2 hours. Other than the cellphone lady, I didn't see any other disturbances. There were some students doing the group study, a table next to me. Even they were whispering only.

I am assuming talking louder inside the library may not necessarily be a law and so the cellphone lady may not be violating any. But to me being reasonably quiet in the library is not about whether it's law or not, it's about common sense. I have seen few library guests talking in the cellphone all the time, but they talk in a way that no could hear, which don't bother the other guests.

Also I respect the first amendment. One of the freedom is, you can record whatever you see as long as it is a public property. But I don't know whether talking loud in a library and disrupting other guests comes under this.

Just because it was disturbing you does not mean this person was not free to do what she was doing. Many library have private room that are designed to be quiet room.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Just because it was disturbing you does not mean this person was not free to do what she was doing. Many library have private room that are designed to be quiet room.
The expectation in a library is that a patron will not do anything that will disturb other patrons. The person talking loudly was doing that.

Last edited by suzy_q2010; 05-21-2019 at 11:35 PM..

Old 05-21-2019, 10:45 PM

Quote:
The expectation on a library is that a patron will not do anything that will disturb other patrons. The person talking loudly was doing that.

You do understand that this people are in public? Library do create a lot of rules and people generally comply with them because they are told to comply regardless if the law actually says you must comply. What i am saying, this person wasn't required to actually comply with that expectation.

Old 05-21-2019, 10:46 PM

50 posts, read 49,150 times
Quote:
Kind of my point. Your point is, one person is free to do anything as long as it don't violate the law. My point is the same, but I am adding to that saying, common sense also to be applied. We live in a society.

Each library have 3 or 4 quiet rooms with a window of 2 hours and they get booked quick. So not everyone could have access to that.

Old 05-22-2019, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamaGoodCitizen View Post
Kind of my point. Your point is, one person is free to do anything as long as it don't violate the law. My point is the same, but I am adding to that saying, common sense also to be applied. We live in a society.

Each library have 3 or 4 quiet rooms with a window of 2 hours and they get booked quick. So not everyone could have access to that.

Yes i agree i do live in society but each person is free to make decision if they want to follow common sense society rules or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles