Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 11:28 PM

2 posts, read 16,606 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone, fiance and myself are potentially moving into a townhome located at this address - 1625 W Pacific Coast Hwy, Wilmington, CA 90744

I wanted to ask ya'll who are more familiar with the area if this is a wise decision. We've done a lot of research and are on the edge, it seems there is a lot of crime and gang related activity in the surrounding areas but this is sort of in the middle. Would we be fine to move here as long as we don't go to those bad areas after hours?

Anyone live near here or know anything about this area? Looking for honest answers

Thank you very much

Last edited by ironwood12; 05-05-2018 at 11:38 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 09:21 PM

2 posts, read 16,606 times
nothing ehh?...I'll continue my googling then and driving around the area.

Old 05-08-2018, 12:22 AM

4,538 posts, read 10,624,896 times
It’s nothing horrible. It’s gated. There’s decent places nearby. If you are used to urban living it’s ok. If you want a new build neighborhood, it’s not.

FWIW they have a small farmers market once a week at the Kaiser across the street.

Parts of Lomita and elsewhere in the South Bay are nicer, but I suppose you have your reasons for living at that location.

Old 05-08-2018, 01:01 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,746,637 times
I wouldn't move there. It's too close to the freeway and not the best area.

Old 05-09-2018, 01:51 AM

856 posts, read 1,051,495 times
Exclamation Harbor City & Lomita??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironwood12 View Post
Hey everyone, fiance and myself are potentially moving into a townhome located at this address - 1625 W Pacific Coast Hwy, Wilmington, CA 90744

I wanted to ask ya'll who are more familiar with the area if this is a wise decision. We've done a lot of research and are on the edge, it seems there is a lot of crime and gang related activity in the surrounding areas but this is sort of in the middle. Would we be fine to move here as long as we don't go to those bad areas after hours?

Anyone live near here or know anything about this area? Looking for honest answers

Thank you very much
I grew up in the South Bay; I know every nook and corner there.

Why, after you have seen for yourself what the surrounding neighborhood looks like you would still want to live there is beyond me.

Yelp posts say that 'gated community' sucks.

You will find yourself either living at home since there is not much in the immediate area or you will find yourself driving several miles to go anywhere worth going.

You have crime in nearly a full circle around you.

Every hear of 'lipstick on a pig'?

Your Portofino is the lipstick (cheap lipstick at that) and the neighborhood is the pig.

Pick something farther west toward Hawthorne Blvd and Rolling Hills Estates or keep going up PCH toward the beach until you are deeper into Torrance and then Redondo Beach. It will cost more but at least you will be living in a relatively crime free neighborhood.

The Torrance Police are like white on rice when it comes to crime and the RB police have become more aggressive about patrolling the South Bay. So they have your back in Torrance/RB but where you are thinking of living is like a continuous crime fire being put out each day and night. They don't have enough police in Harbor City/Lomita to consider it safe to live there.

Leave Harbor City and Lomita to those who like carrying concealed and don't mind not having an upscale grocery store anywhere close by. Knowingly living there, knowing you need to stay off the streets each night is no way to live.

Ixnay to Harbor City and Lomita, GF. Believe me, each time you come home, you are going to wish you lived somewhere else.

Paul...........

Long time RB resident.

Old 05-14-2018, 12:39 AM

1,253 posts, read 2,944,250 times
The guy above is exaggerating. It's better now. My boyfriend is from Harbor City and he still lives there. I go to his house all the time and where he lives is nice, everyone looks after their house, the roads are wide, I always get a parking space. It's clean, we go for walks. I guess it just depends where in Harbor City but it's not all like what the person above mentioned. That would be more Wilmington.

Old 05-14-2018, 11:43 PM

1,122 posts, read 960,438 times
If you are above PCH it is usually a little better especially in Harbor City. We have friends who live in Harbor City but above Pacific Coast Highway.

I grew up in the South Bay actually in Torrance - We moved to Torrance in 1955 and I also lived as an adult in Redondo Beach for nearly 30 + years. We now live just south of LAX. You have pockets of bad areas all over the SOUTH BAY today. You are not going to get away from crime per se.

ironwood you will be fine. Just stay aware of your surroundings. Look, up on the hill we just had a stabbing. Very exclusive area. Things happen...can't live in fear. Get a dog to alert you - make sure you have security at your townhome just to be safe. You'll be ok.

Old 05-16-2018, 11:06 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times
Wilmington Well, there are worse places and it is up and coming...

Old 06-02-2019, 02:35 PM

1 posts, read 6,704 times
I am purchasing a brand new home near PCH and McCoy for my adult son as an investment. I have thoroughly checked out all areas of the South Bay and this area has improved tremendously. I own multiple properties and would not have purchased this home if I thought the area was unsafe. I have worked in Wilmington for 10+ years and I don't feel unsafe there as well. Yes, every city has crime issues. I live on the hill in PV and frankly don't feel that safe there anymore. We have crime (mostly burglaries) and we had a murder just last year in our mall around noontime in a busy parking structure.

Old 06-02-2019, 03:25 PM

2,170 posts, read 3,305,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streitfeld View Post
I am purchasing a brand new home near PCH and McCoy for my adult son as an investment. I have thoroughly checked out all areas of the South Bay and this area has improved tremendously. I own multiple properties and would not have purchased this home if I thought the area was unsafe. I have worked in Wilmington for 10+ years and I don't feel unsafe there as well. Yes, every city has crime issues. I live on the hill in PV and frankly don't feel that safe there anymore. We have crime (mostly burglaries) and we had a murder just last year in our mall around noontime in a busy parking structure.
1 whole murder. Wow
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles