Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 10:52 AM

4 posts, read 11,196 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,

I am single/Male working in Calabasas (recently moved here from NorCal). The neighboring areas Woodland Hills, Sherman Oaks are too dull and want to move to Santa Monica. I have a couple of quick questions

a) Is the commute practical considering LA traffic. Will it help if I take Highway1

b) Are there any other happening places for singles near Calabasas ?

Thanks in Advance,
Prad
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2008, 12:26 PM

583 posts, read 1,252,540 times
You can live in SM and commute to the Calabasas area using PCH (Pacific Coast Highway) and then taking Malibu Canyon into the valley. Calabasas is right next to Malibu Canyon. It's a beautiful drive along the PCH and then very scenic canyon, but it can easily take you an hour in the morning (it's about 50 min avg). There is congestion around Santa Monica/Pacific Palisades, but after passing Sunset the road is pretty clear most of the time. Sometimes PCH can be a pain, lanes can close especially during rain/road repairs and then it's miserable, there isn't really a parallel road you can take along that highway. With mountains on the right you'll be pretty much stuck when you pass Topanga. The canyon can also be a pain, but rarely. So, commute can take anything from 40 min to 2 hours depending on what day it is, and what's going on with accidents. With all said, it's not the worst of the commute in LA area, at least you'll be enjoying a pretty scenic ride every day people pay money to travel here and see. During the night you will wish you could just teleport yourself because the drive at night is not nearly as pretty and fun, but to gain some time if you leave work past 7pm you can attempt 101 to 405 to 10 route. Taking 405 and 101 during rush hour is hell, you would only do this if PCH is closed.

Calabasas area has some nighlife but it's mostly lounges restaurants that turn into lounges with dance areas. There are a few places, but you'd have to drive everywhere and the crowd is mostly older. It's known to be a major 'urban couger' hang-out LOL. I found the Westlake, Thousand Oaks area (where I worked) to be very boring and depressing, but then again, I just hate suburbs in general, so don't take my opinion as absolute. There are many young people living in this area, so you won't be the only one and I am sure you'll find plenty to do. I just found this to be very much a family oriented and uppity neighborhood with lots of soccer moms driving luxury cars and wearing expensive designer bags and huge diamonds. Not really my cup of tea, given the fact also that there aren't many walkable areas at all unless you go hiking along Agoura road (with cars at yours side) or take trails into the beautiful mountains. Other than nice mountains around, some nature trails and the fact that the beach is still somewhat close by driving there, there isn't really much there for a single person.

Santa Monica is worlds apart from Calabasas and you will definitely love it being a single person. It's also very walkable and there is tons of stuff to do outdoors. The weather by the beach is so much better than in the hot scorching valley too

So, overall it's doable, and I know many who commute, but think that you are also spending about 1.5- 2 hours on average of your day in the car and if this will bother you then you'd probably be better off in the valley.

Old 04-15-2008, 09:53 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,115,593 times
I'm thinking that if you live in Santa Monica going to Calabasas you'll be going against traffic. (a very good thing) But I could be wrong. But you should have an alterate route because as KT13 mentioned, PCH is often subject to closure during the rainy season.

Old 04-15-2008, 10:48 PM

1,297 posts, read 5,509,570 times
Thats a long drive every day.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:27 AM

18,258 posts, read 22,532,193 times
I agree wit CESpeed. Its doable but you will have to have some patience for your commute. There are a few canyon roads that you can take from PCH to get into Calabasas(Malibu Canyon Rd/Las Virgenes Rd, Topanga Canyon and one or two other canyon rds that wind their way up through the hills) During the rainy season you will probably be better off braving the 405 to 101 or telecommuting

Quote:
Originally Posted by CESpeed View Post
I'm thinking that if you live in Santa Monica going to Calabasas you'll be going against traffic. (a very good thing) But I could be wrong. But you should have an alterate route because as KT13 mentioned, PCH is often subject to closure during the rainy season.

Old 04-16-2008, 12:00 PM

583 posts, read 1,252,540 times
PCH is not that bad, it's not like it's guaranteed to close when it rains and that it closes completely. I took it for 2 years and only 2 times during this period the road was closed to traffic due to some very major and serious accidents involving death. During rain, the inner lane may get flooded in places and there would be cones sometimes in some areas to close the lane for a few feet, but not for miles that it would make the traffic so much more serious. Also, I took pacific palisades way to the PCH to avoid some congestion around SM and Entrada. The number of cars going the direction you'll be going is not as large as the opposite direction and after Topanga it thins out significantly enough to not cause traffic even if parts of the inner lanes are closed.

And, if you are a morning bird and leave before 8am, there are even less people on the road. I used to leave during really busy time with everyone else, but leaving between 7am and 7:30 am you would have a lot less traffic.

I only had problem with the Malibu canyon once when the tunnel was closed for repair.

Basically, if you work regular 8 hours a day and not much overtime you can manage that commute and the pretty scenery along PCH in the mornings will make up for that. Also, if you absolutely can't stand Calabasas, Westlake, Thousand Oaks like myself and you get depressed living there then the sacrifice will be much worth it. If you like the area or are 'ok' with it like many young people do I'd live in Calabasas.

If you work long hours, don't do it. You'd be getting to your SM apartment every day just to crush and will enjoy the area only on weekends.

Old 04-16-2008, 05:59 PM

4 posts, read 11,196 times
Thanks a lot guys. It gives quite a good perspective on the options..

I am going to try hard and see what is really going on in the valley for another 2 weeks. If nothing works, will probably pack up to SM..

Thanks Again,
Prad

Old 04-22-2008, 04:52 PM

312 posts, read 1,059,593 times
just to add a comment: i did the commute, from Woodland Hills to MDR, sometimes taking PCH and sometimes the 405. It was a tiring drive, sometimes 2 hours on a bad day, but it seemed well worth it on a hot summer day when the Marina was 25 degrees cooler. I don't know if I would do it now, with these gas prices though.

Old 04-22-2008, 06:49 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citybilly View Post
it seemed well worth it on a hot summer day when the Marina was 25 degrees cooler. I don't know if I would do it now, with these gas prices though.
Do you work outside or inside? If inside, why does it matter if is 25 degrees cooler? If outside, I totally understand, Woodland Hills gets pretty hot in late July and early August.

Old 04-28-2008, 04:16 PM

5 posts, read 33,580 times
Topanga Canyon is another way to commute...probably around 45 minutes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles