Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 01:54 AM

17 posts, read 64,477 times

Advertisements

thanks for help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 02:08 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,854 times
two blocks from work.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:26 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
Taking the bus in L.A. to work is going to elevate your stress level beyond belief. By the time you get to work, you'll be so wound up that you'll need some time to refocus. This is because the buses are horribly unreliable. The bus drivers are are rude and will not give you any helpful information 90% of the time and this is because they don't even know what's on their own routes, let alone how to get anywhere. The buses may show up, they may not. More than likely after you've been standing at a bus stop for twice as long as you should have, here will come two or three in a row and they will pass you up. A good number of the buses are horribly overcrowded, and of course the fun the standing next to a homeless person who reeks of urine or the person who hasn't bathed in a couple of days while you are on your way to work. You will be much better of following katenik's advice of living in walking distance or buying a car. It will be worth it.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:12 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,611,786 times
Live near the light rail lines. In Pasadena you can get housing right on top of some stations & there are good grocery stores, gyms, great restaurants, book stores, shopping in Old Town or the Paseo. The Gold Line will eventually reach Glendora & even Rancho Cucamonga. But Pasadena is a bit expensive.

Living downtown LA, esp around Staples is great & close to 2 train routes. The Blue Line goes to Long Beach, the Red to North Hollywood; both areas are more affordable.

Old 04-23-2008, 08:14 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,771,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveitorleaveit View Post
thanks for help.
You wrote "family" so I assume kids. I can't imagine living in LA with kids without a car. I single person, maybe; if you can really work public transportation, you conveniently live near bus stops or stations or whatever.

With kids there are doctor appointments, sports, school activities, birthday parties...

I wonder if even the destitute immigrant families with kids are living in LA without a car. If they are, they ought to win some sort of prize.

Old 04-23-2008, 10:55 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
I wonder if even the destitute immigrant families with kids are living in LA without a car. If they are, they ought to win some sort of prize.
No, even they have at least one $1000 junker in the house, even if its shared among the 6 adults under that roof.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:11 PM

5 posts, read 16,914 times
Default It's not so bad!

I have a car, live in Long Beach and work in Beverly Hills. I am fortunate to live near a metro train. It's the best thing I did. I have to use the bus only for just for a few stops luckily. I do have to get up earlier, but I save a ton in gas and wear and tear. I do agree that the bus drivers here can be extremely rude. And the metro is just not as nearly efficient here as NYC but it can be done! I would have never realized how much I didn't need my car if I hadn't just really tried!

Old 04-23-2008, 01:21 PM

2,318 posts, read 7,846,598 times
Long Beach would be my initial response due to the Blue Line. Places like Downey along the Green Line could work too.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:46 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,666,667 times
a working class family might not do very well in pasadena. but that depends on your definition of working class (some regard all paid employees are part of the working class). do you mean blu collar? bag boy? janitor? secretary?

as for pasadena, factory work money wont get you far, especially for a family. if your union then maybe you make more than most of us and then the possibility exist for residing in pas or south pas. but pasadena is a bit more expensive, unless of course you choose the villa park area or the north west side, but then it gets a bit sketchy.

i think it would be better to live in highland park or somewhere south of pas along the gold line. Highland park has its dodgy areas, but it also has a growing night life scene. more cafes and bars and such. it has nice old homes that are being rehabbed. the boom didnt take off quite like people expected it, but enough people have fixed up the neighborhood where it feels very mayberry like. but people still get shot there. its rare, but it happens. and it usually happens to people who were targeted. crime isnt as random as people beleive.

as for the buses, i regularly take the bus. but i make sure to take the rapid buses. they are more reliable than the regular lines and usually run faster. the buses will be better in more densely populated areas. if you live in pico rivera which is working class, the buses are not very reliable and might be few and far between. if you move closer to LA, staying in the working class areas like east los or huntinton park, the deneser it gets and the amount for bus lines increases. it really depends on where you live. some areas are served better by the MTA. but its better to move closer to the rails.

interestingly enough i have found that i am usually less stressed on days i ride the bus. i dont worry about traffic, i dont worry about accidents, i dont worry about much. and i have never had a homeless person sit next to me (this aint frisco!!). it dont bother me much anyways. and i always sit in the back of the bus. i know my commute will be about 1 hour to 1.25 hours, its ok tho, i have a book, my walk man or whatever. its not that bad. it just depends on where you live.

ive never had a problem on the bus. at least not in LA. keep in mind that you can catch me on the slauson bus the 711 down florence, the western bus, cetral ave. yes you might find me on the corner of florence and western waiting for the rapid. the parts most of you will never drive thru, let alone catch a bus in. i dont worry. i dont look like a thug or a punk and i dont bother anyone. i just go about my business. its always best to converse with an old person or those religious people handing out pamphlets. (just lil tricks you pick up in the hood). but it can be dangerous. just last month a bunch of people got shot up at the bus stop on cental and vernon. thats a rarity tho.

with kids all of this is subject to change. i take the kids on the bus and they love day trips to long beach and other areas on the train, but it is a hassle draggin kids around on a bus. millions of people do it, but it is not the funnest experience.

if you got any more details to offer we can help you more

Old 04-23-2008, 07:47 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
The bus with children: when it's crowded there are strangers rubbing against your children to sqeeze past them, most of the time, people will not give you a seat just because you have a kid, but it does happen. Then you have people leaning over your kids. You have people having adult conversations around them (sex and cursing). Then you have to make sure your kids get off of the bus when you do. There are few things more heart wrenching than hearing a kid screaming his head off because he's on the sidewalk and mom's on the bus or vice versa (I've seen it several times). If you have kids, BUY A CAR!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles