Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 01:31 PM

5 posts, read 16,914 times

Advertisements

In my apt where I had lived for over three years in Redondo Beach there are no pets allowed. Several people have cats but it's kept hush hush. I ended up taking in a relatives older cat to help out. The landlord let himself into my apt one day. He claimed a "plumbing emergency". Not true. Which by the way he never told me he went in and I only knew because a neighbor witnessed it. He saw the cat but never said a word. Four months later a two bedroom opened up and I decided I would get a roommate. When I approached about moving he said I could but I would have to get rid of my cat to sign a new lease for different apt. If I wanted to stay in mine I could keep the cat. No way. The poor thing was old anyway and I was ready to move to save money. Basically I went to give him my 30 day and in his window I saw he had his own cat!!! I was shocked. He claimed that he could because he owned he building. Doesn't seem entirely possible. What's the dealio?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 01:45 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,639,854 times
why doesn't it seem possible that someone can have a pet on HIS OWN PROPERTY? he doesn't have to extend that privilege to anyone else if he doesn't choose to. frankly, he's being kind to let you stay in your current unit with an unauthorized pet, because if your lease says "no pets," you are violating it and he can evict you if you refuse to give up the cat.

Old 04-23-2008, 02:33 PM

5 posts, read 16,914 times
Default Not exactly

According to several property owners I have spoken with it didn't matter if the property is his own property. It is still considered being prejuidiced and one rule has to apply to everyone on the property. He is not exempt. Secondly by the local laws in the area the cat now has a right to be there. He has three months to notify me to get rid of the cat. After that time it is allowed by "acceptable knowledge".

Old 04-23-2008, 03:02 PM

2,916 posts, read 11,080,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaunow View Post
The landlord let himself into my apt one day. He claimed a "plumbing emergency". Not true. Which by the way he never told me he went in and I only knew because a neighbor witnessed it.
Oh-o! Not an expert here, but I think this on this issue alone your landlord is pushing his legal luck. Can you prove that the "plumbing emergency" was "not true"? In the case of non-emergencies, I'm fairly certain that landlords must give 24-hour notice before entering your home.

Old 04-23-2008, 07:32 PM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
It's horribly unfair that your landlord has a cat and wants you to get rid yours. The only reasoning I can think of is your landlord knows his/her cat isn't tearing up the property and if it is, it's his/hers to be torn up. S/he doesn't want to risk you not being as responsible as s/he is. Maybe they've had a negative experience with pets in the past. If you can prove your landlord entered your apartment without just cause, you can sue for invasion of privacy.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:47 PM

2 posts, read 5,731 times
My fiance and I just moved into apartments and we came home yesterday and we had a note from the landlord saying after inspection our apartment was dirty and we had a week to clean it up. I came home today and found the maintenance guy fixing the stove and oven after complaining about for a month but no one was home to allow him to enter. Is this legal?

Old 08-26-2009, 12:13 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,620,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenarrow85 View Post
My fiance and I just moved into apartments and we came home yesterday and we had a note from the landlord saying after inspection our apartment was dirty and we had a week to clean it up. I came home today and found the maintenance guy fixing the stove and oven after complaining about for a month but no one was home to allow him to enter. Is this legal?
A landlord must request permision to enter at least 24 hours before entry.

Old 08-26-2009, 02:41 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,552,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
A landlord must request permision to enter at least 24 hours before entry.
some communities have "housing ombudsmen" - an intervention agency that works on behalf of renters. check out your community services...

maybe city hall can help you. i'd call city hall & raise a ruckus. i usually get results because when i'm mad; i won't shut up until i get what i want or at least close to what i need.

Old 08-26-2009, 07:41 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,552,191 times
I used to live in Redondo Beach, in the '90's. The term I couldn't remember until I found this RB city webpage was: Dispute Resolution Services. The phone number for that is listed below, in the second part of the copy/paste.

The OP started this thread in April, so it's probably resolved by now. But here's some stuff for you other South Bay'ers:

City of Redondo Beach Website - All Questions & Answers

I rent an apartment in Redondo Beach. What are my rights as a tenant? What are my landlord's responsibilities?
Landlords and tenants are required to follow California landlord/tenant laws. You are welcome to contact our office for assistance and to ask specific questions. We are not attorneys, so we cannot give you any advice, but our housing staff can give you information, including facts about: security deposits leases, rent raises, repairs, privacy rights and more. Also, you may want to attend one of our free monthly fair housing clinics or our annual workshop.

My landlord is unreasonable
You can contact South Bay Center Dispute Resolution at (310) 376-7007. The Center provides a wide variety of alternative dispute resolution services, inlcluding conciliations, mediation and group facilitation.

Kate

Last edited by sarahkate_m; 08-26-2009 at 07:43 AM.. Reason: i don't know why the size 2 mark up is showing - i think i fixed it

Old 08-26-2009, 09:37 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miaunow View Post
In my apt where I had lived for over three years in Redondo Beach there are no pets allowed. Several people have cats but it's kept hush hush. I ended up taking in a relatives older cat to help out. The landlord let himself into my apt one day. He claimed a "plumbing emergency". Not true. Which by the way he never told me he went in and I only knew because a neighbor witnessed it. He saw the cat but never said a word. Four months later a two bedroom opened up and I decided I would get a roommate. When I approached about moving he said I could but I would have to get rid of my cat to sign a new lease for different apt. If I wanted to stay in mine I could keep the cat. No way. The poor thing was old anyway and I was ready to move to save money. Basically I went to give him my 30 day and in his window I saw he had his own cat!!! I was shocked. He claimed that he could because he owned he building. Doesn't seem entirely possible. What's the dealio?
It sucks and seems pretty hypocritical to me, but I don't see he is doing anything wrong. Yes, he does own the building and he doesn't have to worry about de-odorizing when apt are vacated or maybe replacing carpet that cats have damaged (cats are known for that) There are other considerations as well.

NIta

ps, another thread that should have been buried. I wonder why someone brought it back to life. I wonder also what the OP ended up doing. Love when they just disappear with no answers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: