Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 11:39 PM

509 posts, read 782,612 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by arandomhuman9 View Post
Anyone who has left LA, what did you miss? I'm trying to prepare myself for a move to the NYC suburbs for work. What is unique about LA that you wouldn't know is unusual if you've never left?
(I live in East LA)
I miss the food options (especially korean).

I miss the weather. (though where I moved to in Northern CA is not bad).

I miss my friends and my network.

I miss the air of creativity and "be and let be" attitude.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2020, 06:45 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Price-distribution was highly even. Surprisingly, it's largely evened out. Highland Park was "sketchy" and commensurately inexpensive. Likewise East LA, or further east... places like South El Monte. Even the "north side" of Pasadena....
Yes, much of Highland Park has become gentrified. The north part of Pasadena...not so great if you have kids going to public schools, and the crime rate is still fairly high. South El Monte? Still not the safest place to live. But if all you're doing is investing, then lifestyle, safety, schools, neighbors, etc, probably don't matter to the owner.

Quote:
LA housing has been a shockingly good investment, even after accounting for the high property taxes... and specially in the second-rate neighborhoods, which have "gentrified".
Residential real estate is not always a way to make money hand over fist. Think of the people who bought at the peaks (around 1989, 2006) but then had to sell at the bottom (around 1995, 2010) and lost their shirts.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:02 PM

363 posts, read 514,542 times
Quote:
For me, quality of life, is secondary to "winning the game", so to speak. Having spent 20 years in the Midwest, watching coastal property values rise, while our property values stagnated, was irritatingly grating. To me the point isn't about whether your neighborhood is walkable, or the restaurants trendy, or the schools good, or the crime low... it's about money made upon leaving (or dying?), relative to years-spent, and what was one's initial investment.
Indeed. Imagine being a renter in LA... I pissed away over $380,000 on rent in LA. Never once paid late, kept my home in pristine condition for 13 years (same LL who owned a few buildings, some inherited from his father, now passed to his son).

No equity. No credit. Not even a reference (??!!). Slumlords FTW in LA for now, and for the last 20-30 years.
This is why Millennials don't have a chance. Why we don't have kids. Unstable jobs, no chance, etc...

Even so, this thread brings tears to my eyes... I love the city for all the reasons folks have described and more. LA will always be part of me. It's my home. <3

Old 10-12-2020, 06:19 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALGUY View Post
I have lived here for over forty years, and have never been to any of the things most people associate with SoCal.
Examples would be, Disney land, rose parade, sporting events, magic mountain, theaters ,the ocean only once, the mountains once.
Never cared for any of that stuff.
Interesting. I go to the beach nearly every week, despite living on the "wrong" end of region. I've sampled the smattering of beaches, from Santa Barbara down to San Diego. Before the fires and 'rona restrictions, I'd go the San Gabriel mountain range at least every couple of months. Driving on Angeles Crest Highway is/was one of my favorites.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5pyg1a55 View Post
I pissed away over $380,000 on rent in LA. Never once paid late, kept my home in pristine condition for 13 years ...
That's > $2400/month in rent! For one person?

If my rental expenses were that high, and my intended duration-of-stay were that long, I'd be buying a house, even under present conditions of prices and taxes.

But please keep in mind, that the "pissing away" is only so, if the house that you'd have bought instead, were appreciating well. In LA, it likely has. In some other places, you'd have been paying a similar amount in monthly mortgage/insurance/taxes, plus maintenance, plus higher utilities, and finally a 6% commission when it was time to sell. The amount "pissed away" would potentially have been nearly as staggering.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:50 PM

363 posts, read 514,542 times
Quote:
Interesting. I go to the beach nearly every week, despite living on the "wrong" end of region. I've sampled the smattering of beaches, from Santa Barbara down to San Diego. Before the fires and 'rona restrictions, I'd go the San Gabriel mountain range at least every couple of months. Driving on Angeles Crest Highway is/was one of my favorites.

That's > $2400/month in rent! For one person?

If my rental expenses were that high, and my intended duration-of-stay were that long, I'd be buying a house, even under present conditions of prices and taxes.

But please keep in mind, that the "pissing away" is only so, if the house that you'd have bought instead, were appreciating well. In LA, it likely has. In some other places, you'd have been paying a similar amount in monthly mortgage/insurance/taxes, plus maintenance, plus higher utilities, and finally a 6% commission when it was time to sell. The amount "pissed away" would potentially have been nearly as staggering.
And what house would that have been where? With living expenses so high, it's hard to save for a down payment. $2400 is (was? now higher) average for an apartment in the basin.

Old 10-12-2020, 06:53 PM

6,844 posts, read 3,960,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arandomhuman9 View Post
Anyone who has left LA, what did you miss? I'm trying to prepare myself for a move to the NYC suburbs for work. What is unique about LA that you wouldn't know is unusual if you've never left?
(I live in East LA)
What did I miss? As other posters mentioned, friends and being close to relatives. Like another poster said, you can visit, communicate by phone and email, but it's not the same. You can't go home again. Weather so nice at least 9 months a year. The beach, though when I left you could swim at Santa Monica Beach. Now I believe it is too polluted to swim in. Riding my motorcycle. Casual life style. People say they like the movie the Big Lebowski. In LA all my friends were like that.
What didn't I miss? Being poor with no good financial or job prospects even though I had a college degree. No money translated to no girl friend, no wife or children, no nice apartment or house, no car, no prospects. I got all that in NYC.

Old 10-19-2020, 12:28 PM

271 posts, read 302,793 times
I would no doubt miss the Al Pastor street tacos from El Flamin on Vermont & 6/7th in K-town.

I'd also miss the marine layer, and the energy from living in an urban environment. I routinely walk my dog in my neighborhood at 9:30-10pm and I run in to at least 10 pedestrians. But, I do believe that K-town is the most densely populated neighborhood in LA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles