Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2021, 11:50 PM

7,709 posts, read 5,456,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Why are only the crime-prone neighborhoods getting the Pfizer vaccine? Why is only the inferior Moderna vaccine available in the coastal areas? Whoever did this, I hate you. I have an elderly family member who will die if they get Covid-19 and I don't want to take them to a dangerous neighborhood to get the Pfizer vaccine.
Could you please explain or link to a source that explains why you think the Moderna vaccine is inferior to the Pfizer vaccine?

I have seen a couple of comparison charts, but they don't seem to be materially different, except that Pfizer's second dose is given three weeks later and Moderna's is given four weeks later and Pfizer lists not only Bell's palsy as a rare side effect, but also severe allergic reactions.

Rarer side effects: severe allergic reactions, Bell’s palsy (Pfizer)
Rarer side effects: Bell’s palsy. (Moderna)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2021, 11:56 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Gonna git mah Pfizer, YO!
Where?

Old 01-21-2021, 08:50 AM

26,731 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
The news stories this evening are correct -- this vaccination system has been poorly implemented.
It looks as if there have been--and continue to be--a lot of problems on all government levels, not just California and not just L.A. County.

California state officials own some of the blame as well for creating an overly complicated system for determining eligibility and for not communicating pandemic response details with locals. So do Los Angeles County officials who have sent mixed messages to Angelenos about who can get vaccinated and when.

To explain, we need to backtrack to last week, when federal officials urged states to expand eligibility for inoculations to anyone over 65 as a way to ensure no doses go to waste. Each vial of the two vaccines currently available contains multiple doses that must be thrown away within six hours if not used.

States, including California, agreed to the expansion — though they did so on the mistaken belief that the federal government was about to ship more vaccine from the stockpile that had been held back for second doses. That turned out to be a final COVID-19 deception by the Trump administration, because days later it became clear that there was no stockpile to release. However, the state left it up to counties in California to determine if they had the supply to expand access beyond the initial target group of healthcare workers and residents of long-term care facilities.

Los Angeles County Director of Public Health Barbara Ferrer made it clear at that point that the county was not yet in a position to expand beyond those first two groups. She predicted that it would be February before there would be enough supply to open up appointments for other people. It was not a well-received message among some, particularly when other counties were inviting all seniors to be inoculated.

https://www.latimes.com/opinion/stor...nty-government

Old 01-21-2021, 10:18 AM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SandyCo View Post
Can we all exercise a little patience, please? I know this has been difficult for those of us who have been social distancing and wearing face masks for almost a year now, but there is hope! We just happen to live in the most populous county in the entire nation. In fact, L.A. County has more people than all but nine other states! This will take some time. If you think you'll be vaccinated in March, adjust your expectations to September or October. That may sound weird, but there's no point getting upset when there's nothing we can do about it. (Believe me, I want my life back as much as anyone else!)
Sure, let's "exercise a little more patience"! Why stop in September or October? Why not December... of 2023? It's just a little more patience, is it not? Maybe 2027? A little bit more? A tiny, trivial bit more? Yes?

Old 01-21-2021, 04:01 PM

2,088 posts, read 1,973,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Could you please explain or link to a source that explains why you think the Moderna vaccine is inferior to the Pfizer vaccine?

I have seen a couple of comparison charts, but they don't seem to be materially different, except that Pfizer's second dose is given three weeks later and Moderna's is given four weeks later and Pfizer lists not only Bell's palsy as a rare side effect, but also severe allergic reactions.

Rarer side effects: severe allergic reactions, Bell’s palsy (Pfizer)
Rarer side effects: Bell’s palsy. (Moderna)
There isn’t really much difference. They have similar efficacy and side effect profile. The biggest difference is 3 vs 4 weeks for the second dose, as you pointed out, and the storage requirements and stability being better for the Moderna Vaccine.

Old 01-21-2021, 04:25 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texamichiforniasota View Post
There isn’t really much difference. They have similar efficacy and side effect profile. The biggest difference is 3 vs 4 weeks for the second dose, as you pointed out, and the storage requirements and stability being better for the Moderna Vaccine.
Plus the amount available. remember of 2 doses are needed, then the amount available is really only 1/2 the amount supplied. Then if they do not sue all the vaccine in a bottle, once the line of people ends, they have to throw it away. Even less available the next day.

Old 01-21-2021, 07:06 PM

567 posts, read 431,501 times
I had no problem booking an appointment today for my Aunt & Uncle, both 70 years old, at Dodger Stadium, Gate C, for Thursday, Jan 28th. Hopefully they'll have enough vaccine on hand that day.

Old 01-22-2021, 10:32 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,641 times
This is interesting.

LA has a far lower % of tests per population than SDC or OC, even with more cases. So population difference is not the issue.

LAC Cases 1,046,021 Tests 5,266,941
SDC Cases 219,731 Tests 3,221.905
OC Cases 217,849 Tests 2,494,463

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...sa/california/

Old 01-22-2021, 02:45 PM

2,353 posts, read 5,376,131 times
Which vaccine did hammering Hank Aaron receive?

I don't want that one

Old 01-22-2021, 07:24 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,664,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by (901) View Post
Which vaccine did hammering Hank Aaron receive?

I don't want that one
Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles