Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2023, 12:03 AM

18 posts, read 9,908 times

Advertisements

I tried doing this on reddit but got a rediculously immature response and absolute hate and hostility from everyone. It Was absolutely disgusting. So here I am.

I am a college graduate born and raised in Orlando Who recently moved to Miami. To be honest I am just taking a few classes here because I Was hoping to make Miami a permanent home and make some friends through school. While I have made friends. I just feel like Miami SUCKS. I thought it Would be Way better than Orlando but it's not. The people on the Miami and Los angeles reddit are really toxic and were hating on me for no reason after saying Miami sucks and Im hoping to move to Los Angeles. Basically I feel like Miami seems like a really huge city with alot to offer but if your not rich with a yaght or go clubbing alot it doesn't. Im PUERTO RICAN and I find the fact that people here get mad that you don't speak spanish really annoying. I Also feel like Miami is alot more superficial than I thought it Would be. I also don't like that when you go out they only play house music I like more old school hip hop scene.

This brings me to Los Angeles. After this Semester is over I am considering moving to Los Angeles. Getting an air bnb for a month or two and seeing how I like it. I feel like it's more comparable to Orlando with the Theme parks. I love Disney and Universal. and Also I feel like LA has alot more to do for someone who likes outdoor activities like me. I Skateboard play basketball go running..... Orlando has no mountains but I feel like climbing the hollywood sign and doing hiking would be really cool and a good challenge. I also feel like LAs vibe Resonates with me more. It has a more laid back smoke a blunt and drink a 40 with your friends (Which is What in Orlando with my friends We get a group of guys and girls together and pick a good pool at a nice hotel and pretend like Were guests and have a good time there WITHOUT bothering other people) I also feel like Miami is more Douchebag look at my gay car than LA is. Because While LA has that it also has more hippie vibes which is more my style......

My only concern is the LA GANG CULTURE. While I have NO TATTOOS and AM NOT affiliated with a gang sometimes people think im slightly street and I don't Want to get in fights because a Mexican doesn't like the Way im looking at him..... Are mexicans racist towards non mexicans in LA? Specifically Puerto Ricans and other non Mexican Hispanics??? This is literally my only concern because in Florida especially in Orlando now which has become more dangerous than Miami. You can get shot but its not going to be because your wearing the wrong color or something..... This is something i am very concerned about can I not wear red or blue either because of bloods????

AGAIN I AM NOT A CRIMINAL I AM A COLLEGE KID WHO LIKES TO SKATEBOARD AND PLAY BASKETBALL I AM A CHRISTIAN AND A LOVING PERSON. PEOPLE ON REDDDITT WERE SUPER OFFENDED THAT I WAS ASKING THESE QUESTIONS BUT ITS NOT BECAUSE I AM IN A GANG. IN FLORIDA WE DONT HAVE GANGS ITS MORE EVERY MAN FOR HIMSELF.

Anyways general thoughts would be great as well as any knowledge on how to avoid the gangs and what areas to stay away from. I am hoping to move to DTLA or maybe VENICE BEACH. I am not worried about cost of living because I have money saved up and if i can't find a job I Will leave. Thanks in Advance for your advice suggestions.

Last edited by ARO656; 09-19-2023 at 12:08 AM.. Reason: Plus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2023, 04:48 AM

12,168 posts, read 8,014,676 times
Bro I lived and graduated high school on the East side of Orlando, mad Puerto ricans out there. I feel like almost everyone either went to Miami or LA. Graduating from college is terrible nowadays. I feel for you there. But lets dive in. Everything im going to say will help, don’t take it as rude… because people dont want you to make a mistake. We are literally here to help.

Here is my advice to be taken more seriously:
1) Dont use caps THIS MAKES YOU LOOK IMMATURE. But this allows us to read it better.
2) try to avoid assumptions. You say you think Mexicans are racists. Don’t generalize. Use vocabulary like “is there tensions between different groups of latinos in CA?” You will get a much better response.
3) avoid religion. Great you are christian, but most of us arent on here.

Okay so here is my advice:

LA is probably the most desirable city to live in for young people like me and you right now in the country. Warm weather, California vibes itself and the feeling that you can grow yourself into anything. But the reality of LA is you probably won’t be living in conditions above Azalea Park or Lee Vista/Goldenrod. Thats just how it is.

My biggest piece of advice is do NOT move to LA or SoCal without a job at hand. LA is expensive. Very expensive. While you think you might be able to afford it, you would need to triple that number and add $5,000 to be safe for a few months. Get a job first, and then move out there. You have a glamorized view on LA… like you did on Miami. It is not all sunshine and roses. Los Angeles is one of the most, if not the most, rent burdened cities in America. Living there is very, very hard. Especially if you don’t already own real estate.

Regarding gang culture- gang activity is only up in areas with hang activity. If you have street smarts, you can happily go on about your day. If you hang out in areas with known gang presence, like the areas you said, you will encounter run ins. I would explore why you had the experiences you have had. Tensions between Latinos in LA arent all that high and people wont assume you are Puerto Rican… i mean less than like 1% of all Latinos in LA are Puerto Rican. The vast majority are Mexican, Salvadoran, and Guatemalan.

So I leave with a few questions. Why LA? LA does not seem like a good fit for you at all. What you stated above Miami would be even worse in LA lol. I would reevaluate this, in Orlando LA has a glorified image…. And you need to browse around to see where would fit you best. You need to get a job before you move. There is no question about that. Honestly, staying in Orlando and building up your resume seems like the best route for you. Once you learn a bit more about yourself and get some experience, travel, and do research (even browsing this forum is great), then moving from there. Dont jump the gun and do the traditional Orlando to LA move. Ive seen it happen so many times and everyone leaves broke and discouraged.

Give us more information about you. Jobs situation. Desired living scenario. Etc.

-not trying to be rude by first post, just want to give constructive criticism to maximize your positive engagement. This is a lot coming from me since i am a poster known to be very blunt lol. Also, i dont want to discourage you from thinking LA, I just feel you are painting a broad brush and giving me red flags. Before you make the mistake, I want you to explore other possibilities or options first. I don’t know a whole lot about you.. but feel free to share more details so posters here can work out a better pathway on advice for you! Posters here can be brash, but its good advice.-

Last edited by masssachoicetts; 09-19-2023 at 04:57 AM..

Old 09-19-2023, 05:02 AM

2,933 posts, read 1,312,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post
Bro I lived and graduated high school on the East side of Orlando, mad Puerto ricans out there. I feel like almost everyone either went to Miami or LA. Graduating from college is terrible nowadays. I feel for you there. But lets dive in. Everything im going to say will help, don’t take it as rude… because people dont want you to make a mistake. We are literally here to help.

1) Dont use caps THIS MAKES YOU LOOK IMMATURE. But this allows us to read it better.
2) try to avoid assumptions. You say you think Mexicans are racists. Don’t generalize. Use vocabulary like “is there tensions between different groups of latinos in CA?” You will get a much better response.

LA is probably the most desirable city to live in for young people like me and you right now in the country. Warm weather, California vibes itself and the feeling that you can grow yourself into anything. But the reality of LA is you probably won’t be living in conditions above Azalea Park or Lee Vista/Goldenrod. Thats just how it is.

My biggest piece of advice is do NOT move to LA or SoCal without a job at hand. LA is expensive. Very expensive. While you think you might be able to afford it, you would need to triple that number and add $5,000 to be safe for a few months. Get a job first, and then move out there. You have a glamorized view on LA… like you did on Miami. It is not all sunshine and roses. Los Angeles is one of the most, if not the most, rent burdened cities in America. Living there is very, very hard. Especially if you don’t already own real estate.

Regarding gang culture- gang activity is only up in areas with hang activity. If you have street smarts, you can happily go on about your day. If you hang out in areas with known gang presence, like the areas you said, you will encounter run ins. I would explore why you had the experiences you have had. Tensions between Latinos in LA arent all that high and people wont assume you are Puerto Rican… i mean less than like 1% of all Latinos in LA are Puerto Rican. The vast majority are Mexican, Salvadoran, and Guatemalan.

So I leave with a few questions. Why LA? LA does not seem like a good fit for you at all. What you stated above Miami would be even worse in LA lol. I would reevaluate this, in Orlando LA has a glorified image…. And you need to browse around to see where would fit you best. You need to get a job before you move. There is no question about that. Honestly, staying in Orlando and building up your resume seems like the best route for you. Once you learn a bit more about yourself and get some experience, travel, and do research (even browsing this forum is great), then moving from there. Dont jump the gun and do the traditional Orlando to LA move. Ive seen it happen so many times and everyone leaves broke and discouraged.

Give us more information about you. Jobs situation. Desired living scenario. Etc.

-not trying to be rude by first post, just want to give constructive criticism to maximize your positive engagement. This is a lot coming from me since i am a poster known to be very blunt lol. Also, i dont want to discourage you from thinking LA, I just feel you are painting a broad brush and giving me red flags. Before you make the mistake, I want you to explore other possibilities or options first. I don’t know a whole lot about you.. but feel free to share more details so posters here can work out a better pathway on advice for you! Posters here can be brash, but its good advice.-
What makes you say most people on here aren't Christian?

Old 09-19-2023, 09:03 AM

6,800 posts, read 4,243,396 times
The crowd on this forum is significantly older than Reddit and even less likely to be receptive to a 'street' attitude.

Stuff like partying with your friends at the pool of a hotel you aren't a guest of is likely to be thought of as trespassing and not looked at in a favorable way.

Most people on here would have no interactions with street gangs because they're retired people and white collar employees living in nicer areas. But if you move to a low income hood and do a lot of 'hanging out' smoking weed, getting drunk and engaging in petty crime, you will probably have gang contacts as well as law enforcement contacts. At that point all bets are off kinda. I don't think it's an L.A. thing even, it's not going to be different in any other city in the country.

Old 09-19-2023, 10:01 AM

4,565 posts, read 5,419,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARO656 View Post
An honest opinion of los angeles.

I am a college graduate born and raised in Orlando

AGAIN I AM NOT A CRIMINAL I AM A COLLEGE KID WHO LIKES TO SKATEBOARD AND PLAY BASKETBALL

So are you a college kid or a college grad? Those are two very different things. Here in LA, no one is really going to care if you are Puerto Rican, Guatamalan, Peruvian, etc. or if you dont speak spanish. They are just going to automatically think you are Mexican because no one dissects it to that level. Its no big deal at all.

As far as gangs go, gangs arent really a thing anymore so you should be okay. My advice though is to not dress or carry yourself like a gang member/criminal/thug type. You know, people will think that "if it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, then it MUST be a duck" type of thing.

Quote:
It has a more laid back smoke a blunt and drink a 40 with your friends (Which is What in Orlando with my friends We get a group of guys and girls together and pick a good pool at a nice hotel and pretend like Were guests and have a good time there WITHOUT bothering other people)
This part of your post is concerning and makes me think you are not serious, or you are 35+ years old. No one drinks "40s" anymore. No one. That went out in the 90s. That and the fact that you say that criminal tresspassing is fun to you makes me think that you are not a serious person, or that you are in fact a criminal type who more than likely looks and appears to be someone who is NOT a college "kid" but yet a criminal type.

Again, you should be okay here in LA as long as you arent hanging out or frequenting places that criminal types hang out and if you do not present yourself in the manner/style/dress that those types do and you should be okay. No goatee, no sagging pants, no cut off Dickies with knee high socks, no hoodie with dreds, no limping while you walk, etc. But we all know that "college grads" or "college kids" absolutely do NONE of those things so you should be just fine.

Old 09-19-2023, 10:52 AM

18 posts, read 9,908 times
Thanks for the Advice everyone!!!!!! I'm actually going to class right now I'm in my 20s not 35+ lol and about me traveling more before going to LA I've been to over 12 countries around the World I've even lived in Europe for 6 months it's just I never been anywhere within the United States besides Boston and Georgia. But I Will be right back to reply to each post individually. Thank you so much!!!

Old 09-19-2023, 12:30 PM

5,485 posts, read 3,926,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by masssachoicetts View Post

He didn't say Mexicans were racist...he asked if they were racist towards non-Mexican Latinos. Yes, it is impossible to answer that question without generalizing one way or the other, but from his perspective, having a general idea of what the answer to that question would probably be useful.

Also, although I'm an atheist myself, him saying that he was a Christian was obviously an effort to back up his claim that he wasn't a criminal. Which is fine if a bit defensive

Old 09-19-2023, 12:45 PM

8,555 posts, read 10,978,234 times
ARO656,
Like someone stated, many on this forum are retired, me included, but I can still offer some advice.
I had that "wanderlust" when I was your age.
I lived in Boston, and decided Miami was the spot for me.
Actually I didn't live in Miami, but north, in Hollywood.
Absolutely loved it.
My apartment building was 15 feet from the ocean.
Now that space is a huge public walkway at Hollywood beach.
I liked it, but with a sinus condition, I couldn't breath when it got real muggy there.
I moved out to Los Angeles in 1970, and still love this city.

Los Angeles has changed a whole lot since the seventies.
Today's Los Angeles is demanding to say the least.
Rents are really high(although I try to keep mine below market value).
Most important, unless you are wealthy, have a job lined up before coming here.
You would be amazed how quickly funds dry up when you move here.
If you don't own a vehicle, I suggest you get one, or a bike, as this city(even though public transportation has gotten so it covers more areas) is so spread out, you definitely need a vehicle.
As for the things you say you enjoy, you won't have any problems with that.

Some areas in the city are gentrified to the point only people in their twenties and thirties seem to frequent these areas.
Highland park is a great example.
Years ago, it was just a gang infested ,run down area, and today is one on the most sough after places for young people to live.
Plenty of restaurants, bars, and just a congenial night life, and daytime vibe to the area.
I think this particular area would suit you well.
Hiking trails galore surround Highland Park.
Golf course close by if you are into that.
Outdoor basketball court right on the main street of Highland Park.

As for work, it all depends on what chosen field you want to explore.
One very important fact you will need to consider is where you work.
It should be close to where you live, because commutes here are horrendous.
Everything here is expensive, but wages are higher here than most other cities.
I would do exactly what you stated in your original post, come out here , stay in some sort of temporary living condition, and get a feel for the place.

One more thing that you should be aware of is, Southern California, Los Angeles in particular, has become a haven for the homeless population.
They are everywhere.
Here in the Highland Park area, we have city constructed single, small home community for the homeless.
The area uses one of the local parks and it seems to be working just fine, compared to other parts of the city that are infested with makeshift tents everywhere.
One would be hard pressed to find tents on public sidewalks here in Highland Park.
I wish you well in your journey.

Old 09-19-2023, 01:52 PM

13,656 posts, read 9,714,475 times
Quote:
...I also don't like that when you go out they only play house music I like more old school hip hop scene. ...
Lots to quote, and to which to respond, but the above snippet most caught my eye... I couldn't even distinguish between "house" and "hip hop". To me, "hip-hop" is what 9-year-old girls do with a jump-rope on the sidewalks. And "house" refers to a discount on a particular kind of wine, stocked at a restaurant.

Environment is primarily what one makes of it. Failing to realize this, was to my own detriment back in the Midwest, from which I relocated to LA. LA offers many find advantages, but it's unclear if the OP would find them to be particularly useful, or that they justify the hassle and expense of relocating across the country. Note also a crucial plus in Florida: no state income tax... something to consider, when comparing cost of living, or relative levels of salaries.

From my own impressions, Miami and LA have much in common. Orlando would be the outlier; it's comparatively more of a "heartland" city.

Old 09-19-2023, 02:01 PM

1,204 posts, read 534,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings Gambit View Post
So are you a college kid or a college grad? Those are two very different things. Here in LA, no one is really going to care if you are Puerto Rican, Guatamalan, Peruvian, etc. or if you dont speak spanish. They are just going to automatically think you are Mexican because no one dissects it to that level. Its no big deal at all.

As far as gangs go, gangs arent really a thing anymore so you should be okay. My advice though is to not dress or carry yourself like a gang member/criminal/thug type. You know, people will think that "if it looks like a duck, and walks like a duck, then it MUST be a duck" type of thing.

This part of your post is concerning and makes me think you are not serious, or you are 35+ years old. No one drinks "40s" anymore. No one. That went out in the 90s. That and the fact that you say that criminal tresspassing is fun to you makes me think that you are not a serious person, or that you are in fact a criminal type who more than likely looks and appears to be someone who is NOT a college "kid" but yet a criminal type.

Again, you should be okay here in LA as long as you arent hanging out or frequenting places that criminal types hang out and if you do not present yourself in the manner/style/dress that those types do and you should be okay. No goatee, no sagging pants, no cut off Dickies with knee high socks, no hoodie with dreds, no limping while you walk, etc. But we all know that "college grads" or "college kids" absolutely do NONE of those things so you should be just fine.
Please say more about the limping thing as it relates to gang members.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles