Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 04:08 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,876,072 times

Advertisements

I've never lived in the SFV,but because of it's Location,that Area has alot of Potential to become a Much Better and Safer Place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2007, 04:14 PM

1,211 posts, read 1,496,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montevista1 View Post
I have read alot of posts claiming the SFV is going downhill. I believe certain parts are good and some are bad. If you believe its going downhill what is your reason?
It's so far down the hill I can't see it any more

Old 08-12-2007, 07:26 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Although it is much more crowded than it was 30 or 40 years ago, there are still nice areas and neighborhoods in the SFV...

Old 08-12-2007, 07:50 PM

8,943 posts, read 11,786,454 times
Those look alike big box houses look familiar. Oh I remember now. They are in Porter Ranch near that giant Walmart, aren't they? Actually, the whole area is nice -- better than much of the valley.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:18 PM

24,511 posts, read 33,317,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidt1 View Post
Those look alike big box houses look familiar. Oh I remember now. They are in Porter Ranch near that giant Walmart, aren't they? Actually, the whole area is nice -- better than much of the valley.
Yes, both of those photos were taken a few miles north of the shopping center with the Wal-Mart... near Tampa and Sessnon, to be exact.

It is a nice area, I agree, good scenery and out of the smog belt which affects much of the eastern part of the valley. Some of those houses, although look-alikes (there are different style, though), are very big- well over 3,000 square feet of living space.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:25 AM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,965 times
Looks like Santa Clarita or Las Vegas.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:17 AM

73 posts, read 333,704 times
I live in "West" Van Nuys, bordering Reseda and Northridge. The heart of the Valley. It's the only area my husband and I could afford to buy in (we moved from the Hollywood area -- "over the hill" and it was an adjustment. We joked that we didn't have to dress up to go to the grocery store anymore. But, just 3 miles south of us is "monied" Encino. I imagine MonteVista is referring to our neighborhood as "bad" and I'd agree to some degree. What makes it bad for me is the fact that every five months or so, our garage is tagged with grafitti. We get the shopping carts in our alley. We aren't far from a neighborhood bar that attracts local meth addicts and those who like to start drinking at 8am. I'm tired of druggies raiding our blue recylcling bin at all hours of the night on trash nigiht. The main through streets are not the cleanest and while the marjority of our neighbors take pride in their homes, about 35% of the homes are neglected, lawns covered in weeds, random clutter on the yard. (I've never understood the visual appeal of putting a couch on your front porch). The sheer fact that we can't afford to move in another area of LA that would afford us with those things we desire --- clean streets, green lawns, safer neighborhoods, -- i.e. everything "South" of the (Ventura), Blvd. -- has prompted us to look out of state.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:38 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
Along with those lovely pics of homes in the Porter Ranch area one must be aware of the cost of those homes.....very expensive.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:34 PM

636 posts, read 2,644,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Along with those lovely pics of homes in the Porter Ranch area one must be aware of the cost of those homes.....very expensive.
Yep. In LA, if any area looks good it's incredibly expensive.

Old 08-14-2007, 08:39 PM

636 posts, read 2,644,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JinLA View Post
I live in "West" Van Nuys, bordering Reseda and Northridge. The heart of the Valley. It's the only area my husband and I could afford to buy in (we moved from the Hollywood area -- "over the hill" and it was an adjustment. We joked that we didn't have to dress up to go to the grocery store anymore. But, just 3 miles south of us is "monied" Encino. I imagine MonteVista is referring to our neighborhood as "bad" and I'd agree to some degree. What makes it bad for me is the fact that every five months or so, our garage is tagged with grafitti. We get the shopping carts in our alley. We aren't far from a neighborhood bar that attracts local meth addicts and those who like to start drinking at 8am. I'm tired of druggies raiding our blue recylcling bin at all hours of the night on trash nigiht. The main through streets are not the cleanest and while the marjority of our neighbors take pride in their homes, about 35% of the homes are neglected, lawns covered in weeds, random clutter on the yard. (I've never understood the visual appeal of putting a couch on your front porch). The sheer fact that we can't afford to move in another area of LA that would afford us with those things we desire --- clean streets, green lawns, safer neighborhoods, -- i.e. everything "South" of the (Ventura), Blvd. -- has prompted us to look out of state.
If the good people keep fleeing the state who will be left?

An unfortunate fact of the SFV - lovely single family homes sandwiched between boulevards filled with crappy apartments. I assume you don't live far from Reseda Boulevard.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles