Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2008, 10:26 AM

1,948 posts, read 6,461,755 times

Advertisements

how much acting eperience / school is needed to get into acting / tv commercials, etc?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 10:31 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,446,365 times
Sure. Its possible to win the lottery or become the next Michael Jordan too but don't bet your financial future on it.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:26 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,898,900 times
Far less experience and schooling than simple LUCK.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:05 PM

396 posts, read 1,723,867 times
this is something teachers say on the first day of film school, "look to your left, look to your right, look behind you, look in front of you. none of those people will be in the filmmaking industry after school."

Old 06-12-2008, 12:13 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,748,294 times
Officials estimate by the year 2023, Japan will develop a microchip that will completely replace the entire entertainment industry in Hollywood.

Old 06-12-2008, 12:46 PM

300 posts, read 1,258,063 times
good question. i think its possible, but very hard. or, its easy if you know the right people. or if you have the right look and know the right people. i think a lot of people who are trying to become actors/actresses have a false confidence. they think they are better looking and/or more talented than they really are...hence why they always get shot down and they are always going on that next audition (or trying to even get another audition). i also think that it gives people hope for something that can possibly make a lot of money if they dont want to go the traditional route to a university and join the corporate rat race, so to speak. i also think it can be addictive to some actors...if they give up now, maybe that next audition would have landed them a great job. its sorta like gambling., i suppose. obviously, there are people who are really talented and really want to be an actor- and in my heart, i have to believe that if its meant to be, things will fall into place for those types of artists. but by and large, soooo many people are out there trying to do it who shouldnt have even thought about it in the first place.

for serious actors- the ones who want to do broadway and off broadway and be a part of a theather troop, etc. I hear a lot of those parts are going to MFA's. and a lot of that business is in NYC. so, one would have to commit a lot of school and time to go that route and get admitted into a masters program and really commit their time and money to something that may not even work out as their career. my friend is currently trying to decide what he wants to do in that regard.

as far as working in the industry- the last two years ive been going to UCLA for a grad program and ive met a lot of people in my program (interiors and architecture) who are making a career change from entertainmnet and/or their spouses work in entertainment (music and movies/tv combined). a ton of people work to produce even the cheesiest shows- there is a lot of work out there, but its hard since a lot of people want those jobs. its interesting to see how many people want to get out of that industry after actually working day in, day out on sets, for shows, etc. they tell me they need a change, or that it wears on you, or that they dont like the industry, or that the industry is changing, etc.

another thing that interesting about the entertainment industry, is the feeling of job security is nearly zero. the show you write for, or do casting for (my friend was in casting for years and years) could get cancelled or dropped by the current network carrier, etc. then you have to look for another job (along with everyone else) or hope it gets picked up by another network or by cable. its really interesting. i think that peolpe in that industry have to be up for adventure, really love it, and know how to save their money for the hard times.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:33 PM

396 posts, read 1,723,867 times
the entertainment industry is basically who you know. if you're friends with a big director, you can make it.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:42 PM

3,414 posts, read 7,143,022 times
It would help you alot to read some books about the industry. There are tons of books on how to make it in entertainment. Reading some will give you an overview on what is required and how you should begin. Look for books by K Callan on amazon.com. or at your library.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:23 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,337,388 times
It has nothing to do with luck. You have to believe (to the point of being delusional) that it will work out for you. Take acting classes, wait tables and go on auditions every day. Your goal has to be more important than relationships, family, everything. It needs to be #1. You will do WHATEVER IT TAKES if you want to make it big. I wasn't willing to do those things, that's why my face never graced the tube or the pages of GQ or Vanity Fair. My family and love were too important to me. It's up to you.

Have the drive of a locomotive if you're going to do this, no matter what anyone tells you.

The people I know who have made it did it just like I described in the first paragraph. The ones who don't end up in another career or returning to their square state. One of my neighbors just packed his u-haul last week, leaving his girlfriend here. Typical story.

Old 06-12-2008, 03:26 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,953,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr bolo View Post
how much acting eperience / school is needed to get into acting / tv commercials, etc?
If you are a female you can do it with zero experience. All you have to do is be extremely beautiful and have sex with the right guy.

If you are a male - same as above.

Otherwise you will have to be good at the craft and have the right connections and look a certain way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles