Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 09:39 PM

4 posts, read 7,282 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone.

I could use some advice. I grew up on the east coast but now live in the midwest.

I received an offer to work at a company in woodland hills but was told, as a single person, to live outside the valley.

How hard would it be to commute from westwood to woodland hills each day? Would it take long?

Are there areas in the valley that have 20 - 30 something prof, restaurants, coffee shops, etc?

I could really use the advice!

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2007, 09:57 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,560,124 times
Welcome, coreydavid! Considering how awful the traffic is on the 101 and 405 freeways on a daily basis, making the commute from Westwood to Woodland Hills and back every day would soon age you or turn you into a raving lunatic! You might be happier if you live very close to where you work, and just drive in to West L.A. or Hollywood for the nightlife whenever you choose to - unless, of course, you party five or more days per week! Besides, Woodland Hills is a very good, safe area, one of the best in the Valley. I also work there, and I'd love to live there if I could afford it.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:58 PM

1,287 posts, read 5,027,555 times
[quote][quote]
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreydavid View Post
I received an offer to work at a company in woodland hills but was told, as a single person, to live outside the valley.QUOTE]
Whoever told you that doesn't know what they're talking about. As SandyCo said, Woodland Hills is a nice area to live for a single person as are other areas of the Valley such as Encino, Sherman Oaks and Studio City. There are tons of young, single people in the Valley and many, many shops, restaurants, diners, cafes, gyms, etc., etc. Unless you plan on going clubbing in Hollywood every night of the week, there's no need to be on the LA side of the hill. Stay as close as possible to where you work.

Old 01-16-2007, 06:57 AM

Default Thanks

I'm definately not a clubber.

What I want is a walkable community, retaurants, coffee shops, young profs. Access to hiking and events on the weekend.

Can I get this in the Valley? HR told me Sherman Oaks or Studio City. Are these good areas for that? Easy commute to Woodland Hills - one that won't age me ?

This move is optional. So I'm hesitant as I've heard mixed things.

Old 01-16-2007, 09:39 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,058,973 times
The best advice I can give is carry an AK-47, a Mac-10, a gat, a machete, a stun gun, a taser, a cell phone and a medic alert bracelet!

Just kiding!

Old 01-16-2007, 09:45 AM

989 posts, read 5,927,790 times
Exclamation Are you serious..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinkle Toes View Post
The best advice I can give is carry an AK-47, a Mac-10, a gat, a machete, a stun gun, a taser, a cell phone and a medic alert bracelet!

Just kiding!
The orig. poster said Woodland Hills, not Compton...

Old 01-16-2007, 09:51 AM

I was kidding. I know those areas and they are pretty safe. I moved out of the LA area because it was just getting too crowded. I actually grew up in NPB and went to college in the Boo.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:00 PM

Default Ak47

Where can I get an AK47? Is there a gun waiting period in CA? In Detroit, where I live, there is no waiting period. They just hand them out, providing you have proper ID, like a library card.

Old 01-16-2007, 03:04 PM

Yeah, you just get them on any street corner. No library card needed.

Old 01-16-2007, 05:34 PM

12 posts, read 265,014 times
If you can afford to live in Westwood, you can certainly afford a nice place in the Valley. I work in Westwood (commuting from Van Nuys), and the traffic through the Sepulveda Pass is just awful no matter which way you go--plus, Westwood is crowded and, quite frankly, kinda grimy. I really don't enjoy hanging out there much.

I agree that Sherman Oaks, Encino, and Studio City are all good, "walkable" areas if you live within a few blocks of Ventura Blvd., where there are lots of stores, restaurants, cafes, and the like. Sherman Oaks or Encino are certainly your better bets if you're working in Woodland Hills. I lived in Sherman Oaks for a couple years and definitely enjoyed it. Yeah, it's the Valley, but I pretty much didn't even need my car on the weekends.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles