Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2008, 05:54 PM

8 posts, read 38,605 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am looking to relocate to L.A. soon. I am looking at a rental on the intersection of Louise Ave and Inglewood Blvd. It's located on the border of Mar Vista and Culver City or so. The area code is 90066. From what I read in these forums, it seems like a pretty safe area. But there is street parking, so I am a little concerned. Does anyone have any insights as to this particular area? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 12:00 AM

2 posts, read 15,838 times
I live in that area, and it is safe. You are freeway close, and about 3 miles from Venice Beach. There is a supermarket, and a Kaiser Permanente, and a LAPD Police Station within 1 mile. You'll be okay, trust me.

Old 08-11-2008, 01:33 AM

Thanks for your help!

Old 08-11-2008, 01:37 AM

527 posts, read 1,282,103 times
I went to school around that area (for a little while) but recently moved back. Some parts of Mar Vista are beautiful (especially near Santa Monica).

I think it's a pretty safe area? But I'm not sure, considering I don't know where Louis Avenue is.

Good luck!

Old 08-11-2008, 04:48 PM

186 posts, read 659,797 times
I would drive the area and ask the local police. I know that south of there used to have some problems, not sure now. I think there is a police station on Culver near there.

Old 08-13-2008, 02:06 PM

1 posts, read 7,896 times
Hello,

I lived on Inglewood and Courtleigh Ave. in Culver City And nearby Lindblade Ave. in Mar Vista in early/mid nineties. I witnessed a gang shootout from my front porch and an elderly neighbor was beaten nearly to in a home invasion robbery. Cars parked overnight on the street are in danger of being plowed into by drunk drivers. My advice is to find a security building with secure parking.

Old 08-13-2008, 10:42 PM

2 posts, read 15,838 times
I beg to differ with you, WestPa. Whatever you experienced 15-20 years ago, it is not like that anymore. I have been living here for 3 years, and the only criminal activity I am aware of is that a couple of pedestrians got hit (1 killed) by a drunk driver on Washington Blvd. near Inglewood Blvd. This was about 1.5 years ago.

I agree that if you street park your car on Inglewood Blvd. month after month, you run the risk of getting minor dents and scratches by other persons parking on the street. This would be no different, though, if you regularly parked your car on Centinela, Lincoln, Venice Blvds. And to my knowledge, cars do not "plow into" parked cars on a regular basis here.

The plus side of living in 90066:

- Costco
- Little Caesar's Pizza ($5 large pizzas when you don't want to cook)
- Paco's Tacos
- Outdoor Grill
- Rockenwagner's Bakery
- 99 Cents Only Store
- Tito's Tacos
- Johnnie's Pastrami

Old 08-13-2008, 11:32 PM

I turned out not getting the rental, and continue to look for a place to live. I do like the Mar Vista/Culver city area-- seems nice w/o being outrageously expensive. I feel like I'm just going to have to live with street parking as a trade off for being in the city...

Old 10-01-2008, 01:25 PM

17 posts, read 50,023 times
Default Hi Wild

We own a music store on Venice Blvd in the Mar Vista area. I frequently stroll with my toddler son around the areas north of Venice and it's been very safe so far. The area is definitely a mix of long time residents and newcomers who are 'gentrifying' the area. A lot of ranch houses around the top of Grand View, Mountain View, Navy, and so on are being replaced with what's know as McMansions and these houses are now driving the areas there above 1 mill. Affordable housing can still be found in the more traditional areas south of Venice Blvd, such as Short, Alla, Superba. These are also quite small ranch houses with a lot of rentals.
As far as safety, it's OK to park your car on the street. I too haven't experienced any car dings or broken mirrors but maybe that just due to luck? I don't know.
A lot of young families are moving in and this give a more community feel to the area.
Just avoid areas with V13 graffiti, the Venice 13 gang were quite dominant in the mid 90's but have subsided what with the mega-newly-hip Venice and Abbot Kinney area.
Anyway, I'm rambling now. I hope this info helps

Old 10-01-2008, 06:55 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,607,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by issah View Post
I beg to differ with you, WestPa. Whatever you experienced 15-20 years ago, it is not like that anymore. I have been living here for 3 years, and the only criminal activity I am aware of is that a couple of pedestrians got hit (1 killed) by a drunk driver on Washington Blvd. near Inglewood Blvd. This was about 1.5 years ago.

I agree that if you street park your car on Inglewood Blvd. month after month, you run the risk of getting minor dents and scratches by other persons parking on the street. This would be no different, though, if you regularly parked your car on Centinela, Lincoln, Venice Blvds. And to my knowledge, cars do not "plow into" parked cars on a regular basis here.

The plus side of living in 90066:

- Costco
- Little Caesar's Pizza ($5 large pizzas when you don't want to cook)
- Paco's Tacos
- Outdoor Grill
- Rockenwagner's Bakery
- 99 Cents Only Store
- Tito's Tacos
- Johnnie's Pastrami
Don't forget Mi Ranchito, although IIRC that's 90230 not 90066. Tito's and Johnnie's are DEFINITELY 90230.

Wouldn't Costco be 90291?

Paco's is very underrated. Props to mentioning that. So's Outdoor Grill. I remember when it was Gooey Louie's, and, even further back, when it was Orange Julius (part of the long-defunct L.A. fast food chain - although the Novel Cafe in Santa Monica actually makes the Orange Julius drink according to the old recipe....a little treat for those old time westsiders....)

This is making me nostalgic for my former 'hood....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles