Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2008, 02:33 AM

488 posts, read 1,513,421 times

Advertisements

Just pretend you didn't see that one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2008, 08:56 AM

5,612 posts, read 15,116,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flo2900 View Post
it`s the TV shows and movies that distort reality about so called "glamouros" LA life style!
Facts:
1. Not enough jobs here for locals.
2. Who would want to hire and train someone with a limited work permit ?
3. If your`re talking about living close to the beach but on "the budget" you`re watching to much TV
4. We have way to many people wanting to stay here and become citizens (i.e. illegal mexicans)...there is NO difference between an australian, mexican, iranian, or any other nationality when it comes down to immigration laws...in US all nationalities are being treated equally, no cutting in front just because you might be white and from australia.
There are illegals living here after their turist visa expires (usually 3 months) from all over the world..when they get caught they get up to 20 years interdiction to even re-enter US as a turist.
I have a Canadian friend who was recently deported to his native Canada after overstaying his visa...he now cannot re-enter US for 15 years!

Your only chance to get a Green Card (permanent residency) and than citizenship is to marry a US citizen.
No Green Card, no social security card, no soc. sec. card means no CA drivers license, means NO work permit, means no credit history, means no renting an apartment means NOT BEING ABLE TO FUNCTION!

Australia is a great place...stay there and make the best of it!
oh..I didnt mention that in case you get sick while here and you have no insurance hospitals here will only give you first aid...you would die here and they would not grant you an MRI...WELCOME TO AMERICA!
Nice to hear from people who don't work for the tourist/relocation bureau's!

Old 08-24-2008, 12:37 AM

Default Once more from the top:

Quote:
it`s the TV shows and movies that distort reality about so called "glamouros" LA life style!
Facts:
1. Not enough jobs here for locals.
2. Who would want to hire and train someone with a limited work permit ?
3. If your`re talking about living close to the beach but on "the budget" you`re watching to much TV
4. We have way to many people wanting to stay here and become citizens (i.e. illegal mexicans)...there is NO difference between an australian, mexican, iranian, or any other nationality when it comes down to immigration laws...in US all nationalities are being treated equally, no cutting in front just because you might be white and from australia.
There are illegals living here after their turist visa expires (usually 3 months) from all over the world..when they get caught they get up to 20 years interdiction to even re-enter US as a turist.
I have a Canadian friend who was recently deported to his native Canada after overstaying his visa...he now cannot re-enter US for 15 years!

Your only chance to get a Green Card (permanent residency) and than citizenship is to marry a US citizen.
No Green Card, no social security card, no soc. sec. card means no CA drivers license, means NO work permit, means no credit history, means no renting an apartment means NOT BEING ABLE TO FUNCTION!

Australia is a great place...stay there and make the best of it!
oh..I didnt mention that in case you get sick while here and you have no insurance hospitals here will only give you first aid...you would die here and they would not grant you an MRI...WELCOME TO AMERICA!
Perhaps a brighter outlook would contrast nicely with the above:

First off I don't think the OP mentioned that the media's glamorization of LA was a factor in the decision.

Opinion:
1. Jobs are for employees; not "locals" (I don't know the statistics but I have this feeling that a lot of people around here are from out of town). Having said that, I found two jobs within a month of my arrival (neither of which have anything to do with my previous work experience.

2. The 'one year' thing could hurt the chances of getting certain jobs but not all.

3. The OP seems to be a young person with a sense of adventure so I would bet that he/she would settle for a sleeping bag in a broom closet to live near the beach in Los Angeles for a year.

4. I know nothing of immigration law but there are obviously many foreign-born people in LA who "function" happily and legally. Secondly, the OP did not mention any desire to break the law.

The greatness of Australia does not diminish the greatness of LA, and thank God there are others like me who want more out of life than staying put and "making the best of it."

Finally, I would like to say to the OP that while you're sudden illness and eventual death in LA will certainly be sad: On behalf of the LATRB (Los Angeles Tourist/Relocation Bureau), WELCOME TO AMERICA!!!

(Disclaimer 1: Life is indeed tough.)
(Disclaimer 2: I respect the opinions of those with whom I disagree.)
(Disclaimer 3: I attended public schools.)

Old 08-24-2008, 01:26 AM

619 posts, read 2,168,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by msnorman67 View Post
Perhaps a brighter outlook would contrast nicely with the above:

First off I don't think the OP mentioned that the media's glamorization of LA was a factor in the decision.

Opinion:
1. Jobs are for employees; not "locals" (I don't know the statistics but I have this feeling that a lot of people around here are from out of town). Having said that, I found two jobs within a month of my arrival (neither of which have anything to do with my previous work experience.

2. The 'one year' thing could hurt the chances of getting certain jobs but not all.

3. The OP seems to be a young person with a sense of adventure so I would bet that he/she would settle for a sleeping bag in a broom closet to live near the beach in Los Angeles for a year.

4. I know nothing of immigration law but there are obviously many foreign-born people in LA who "function" happily and legally. Secondly, the OP did not mention any desire to break the law.

The greatness of Australia does not diminish the greatness of LA, and thank God there are others like me who want more out of life than staying put and "making the best of it."

Finally, I would like to say to the OP that while you're sudden illness and eventual death in LA will certainly be sad: On behalf of the LATRB (Los Angeles Tourist/Relocation Bureau), WELCOME TO AMERICA!!!

(Disclaimer 1: Life is indeed tough.)
(Disclaimer 2: I respect the opinions of those with whom I disagree.)
(Disclaimer 3: I attended public schools.)

msnorman,
put your money where your mouth is and invite the OP into your home!
thank you for admitting the fact that you don`t know anything about immigration law!

Old 08-24-2008, 01:33 AM

208 posts, read 979,880 times
LA is a great place and I've known many Aussies who like it here. Don't listen to all the negativity! You will enjoy it. You might look at Redondo Beach, Playa Del Rey, Venice, etc.. WestsideRentals.com and Craigslist.org are some of the best places to look for rentals. If you're interested in the South Bay area, SouthBayChat.com is good too.

Old 08-24-2008, 01:57 AM

Quote:
msnorman,
put your money where your mouth is and invite the OP into your home!
thank you for admitting the fact that you don`t know anything about immigration law!
I don't need any room-mates right now but if I did why wouldn't I consider it? Oh, I forgot, I don't have a broom closet.

As for immigration law, you wouldn't want to hear my opinion even if it were allowed on this forum. It is not very popular.

I am not sure how to use the little face symbols but just assume mine is always smiling (without pharmacological influence). I hope that when I see the green one up there it is sincere.

Old 08-24-2008, 02:02 AM

619 posts, read 2,168,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthBayTodd View Post
LA is a great place and I've known many Aussies who like it here. Don't listen to all the negativity! You will enjoy it. You might look at Redondo Beach, Playa Del Rey, Venice, etc.. WestsideRentals.com and Craigslist.org are some of the best places to look for rentals. If you're interested in the South Bay area, SouthBayChat.com is good too.
OP wants to become a US citizen...he doesn`t just wants to see if he likes the place or not....it`s the law that limits people from all over the world from coming here. Legally there are only two ways of obtaining permanent residence for someone like the OP:
1. To have a US company petition in his/her behalf to obtain employment (US company has to guarantee him/her work in writing for a miniumum of 2 years
2. Marry a US citizen

For anyone doubting this please google US Immigration Law!
Many people in America think illegal means "mexican"
Irish people from Ireland are only second behind mexicans in number of illegals living in the US!

There`s a reason why we have here so many illegal aliens...it is because they cannot obtain legal status not because they just want to be illegal

So if anyone here wants to help the OP (HE`S ASKING FOR HELP!) please DO something about it and NOT just tell him/her how great and easy the road is!

Last edited by flo2900; 08-24-2008 at 02:25 AM..

Old 08-24-2008, 05:09 AM

5 posts, read 14,118 times
thanks everyone for your input and advice. it is all helpful.
i am eventually hoping to get my green card, and possibly citizenship down the road, but my main goal is to just live it up in the states.

i have been there twice before and have loved it. the variety of landscapes and the hospitality of the people i have met have made it a top place to visit, and i love returning. in my experience the people have been so friendly and helpful, and more than happy to show you around their city.

i will take on all your advice. i am meeting up with the consulate this week for an interview for the visa. should be there in February fingers crossed.

thanks again

Old 08-31-2008, 01:15 PM

1 posts, read 1,277 times
Hey peacorkle...arrrgh this page is annying...had already written a response and somehow it was lost...let's try this again...the best resource for job listings and housing in my opinion is craigslist.org there are also "live-in" positions that you can find from time to time as an assistant or other, often looking for woman (not sure what sex you are-haven't read any indication) but either way you may find something....and there are also plenty of people looking for roommates as well. I'd be happy to help if you have any other questions myspace.com/alisonbacon Cheers!

Old 09-20-2008, 12:00 AM

3 posts, read 9,804 times
so yea. pls try your best to make it here. i have just moved back from Australia 4 wks ago. i lived in sydney for a yr and a half with my holiday working visa. not all americans are weirdo. hospitality job could be fun for you. let me know if you still decide to come.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles