Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

LA: better lifestyle, watching MTV, soccer coach, immigration issues, silly pipe dream, newcomers

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 06:59 AM

9 posts, read 14,902 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, my name is Kieran and myself and my fiancée want to move over to LA with the next couple of years and I was hoping a few of you could help us out with some info.

We are currently living in London although we are originally from Glasgow in Scotland.

We want to move to LA for a better lifestyle than we have in London, which is far to frantic and cold.

We are planning to come over a few time before we move and I was hoping that you guys could give us an insight into LA and what life would ACTUALLY be like rather than watching MTV lol. We are both 23 so would still be early to mid twenties when we made the move

I am a football (Soccer) coach and my fiancée is about to qualify as a nutritionist and together I think we would make between $80,000 - $100,00 per year.

We would be looking for a 1 BR apartment preferably in a nice location and would spend between $1,500-$2,000 per month for rent. Is this possible?

I think I would be working in Carson and was wondering about the commute?

So guys it's over to you. if you can give us any help it would be greatly appreciated and if you need any other info please let me know.

What is the lifestyle like?
Is it easy to meet people?
Is it possible to live near the beach on our budget?

Thank you in advance

Kieran
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 10:56 AM

Oh well it must be hard to meet people

C'mon guys, is there nobody that could offer some advice?

Old 12-01-2008, 02:16 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,641,192 times
Do you already have the job offer in Carson (Galaxy?) and all your immigration issues sorted out? We get many (usually very young) posters from the UK who think they can just up and move here and get a job, because LA sounds better than where they currently live. Their posts tend to omit references to work permits/visas, because well, they think obtaining one is either a) easy, or b) irrelevant. Just wondering if you're one of them...

Assuming you're not, and this actually a real move, and not some silly pipe dream, you will be able to afford two bedrooms inland and one near (but not ON) the beach. Any south bay beach city (Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo) would be convenient to Carson, as would Long Beach, which is the most affordable option. Each town has its own personality, so one might be a better fit for you than the others. Hermosa is the most youth/party-oriented, and Manhattan Beach is more of a family town. (I'm rather partial to El Segundo, which is quiet and somewhat quaint, but someone your age might find it boring.) If you search the forum, you'll find many posts that compare/contrast the south bay cities. Lots of information here on Long Beach as well.

It's been said here that it is difficult for newcomers to meet people, but I don't think a blanket statement can be made about that. If you're friendly and outgoing, people will respond to you in kind. We Americans tend to be a bit enamored of British accents, so unless you have a heavy Scottish burr that no one can understand, you might find that you'll be able to charm strangers with your voice, alone. Building lasting friendships will take more effort, as this is a very transient society. People will come and go very quickly, and often not keep in touch.

Old 12-01-2008, 02:29 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,958,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranUK View Post
Oh well it must be hard to meet people

C'mon guys, is there nobody that could offer some advice?
Patience, grasshopper.

Old 12-01-2008, 11:29 PM

1,627 posts, read 4,219,591 times
My gal and I will trade you, L.A. for London =D Although, and I can't believe I'm saying this, L.A. is cheaper ^_^.

Old 12-02-2008, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katenik View Post
Do you already have the job offer in Carson (Galaxy?) and all your immigration issues sorted out? We get many (usually very young) posters from the UK who think they can just up and move here and get a job, because LA sounds better than where they currently live. Their posts tend to omit references to work permits/visas, because well, they think obtaining one is either a) easy, or b) irrelevant. Just wondering if you're one of them...

Assuming you're not, and this actually a real move, and not some silly pipe dream, you will be able to afford two bedrooms inland and one near (but not ON) the beach. Any south bay beach city (Manhattan, Hermosa, Redondo) would be convenient to Carson, as would Long Beach, which is the most affordable option. Each town has its own personality, so one might be a better fit for you than the others. Hermosa is the most youth/party-oriented, and Manhattan Beach is more of a family town. (I'm rather partial to El Segundo, which is quiet and somewhat quaint, but someone your age might find it boring.) If you search the forum, you'll find many posts that compare/contrast the south bay cities. Lots of information here on Long Beach as well.

It's been said here that it is difficult for newcomers to meet people, but I don't think a blanket statement can be made about that. If you're friendly and outgoing, people will respond to you in kind. We Americans tend to be a bit enamored of British accents, so unless you have a heavy Scottish burr that no one can understand, you might find that you'll be able to charm strangers with your voice, alone. Building lasting friendships will take more effort, as this is a very transient society. People will come and go very quickly, and often not keep in touch.
Thank you for your help and I understand your point about answering the same questions for people who have not researched it.

I have all the info on immigration and we have started the ball rolling, in terms of having the job offer I don't have one as yet as we are not moving right now but both parties are interested and I have been assured that when the time is right things will be done in the correct way.

I will look into the places that you have suggested and see what else I can find on them.

In terms of the income I suggested, is that enough for a good standard of living? I mean like all bills paid and some money left over.

could anyone tell me how the income tax system works?

is there a site that I could go on to work it out?

thanks

Old 12-02-2008, 01:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zenkonami View Post
My gal and I will trade you, L.A. for London =D Although, and I can't believe I'm saying this, L.A. is cheaper ^_^.
Brother, we would swap you in a heartbeat.

We have only been in London for a short time but we both really dislike it!

Have you ever been to London?

Old 12-02-2008, 08:32 AM

419 posts, read 1,450,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KieranUK View Post
could anyone tell me how the income tax system works?
Yes. You earn income, the government takes a big chunk out of your check. That's state & federal, plus unemployment, medicare, social security, and the rest of it. It all comes right off the top of your check.

It's a progressive system, so the harder you work, the more they take.

BRILLIANT!

Old 12-03-2008, 01:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConsideringLA View Post
Yes. You earn income, the government takes a big chunk out of your check. That's state & federal, plus unemployment, medicare, social security, and the rest of it. It all comes right off the top of your check.

It's a progressive system, so the harder you work, the more they take.

BRILLIANT!
Do you know a site I could use to try and work it out?

Anyone have any other info on LA that could help us make a decision on where to live or have any other info on the lifestyle?

all help would be great.

Old 12-03-2008, 02:23 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,219,591 times
Been to London several times and love it! I can understand why you might be looking at L.A., though...just don't be fooled by the rhetoric that it's a "laid back" city. Might have been at one time, but it's fairly high stress and fast paced nowadays. Still a great, cosmopolitan city, though.

There's so many different places to live in L.A., lifestyle makes a big difference. Obviously traffic is horrible, so living relatively close to work is a good idea. If you're working in Carson, Huntington Beach would be a good option, or maybe Redondo. Not so much my part of town, but they are both very pleasant and relaxing overall. I'm partial to the Silverlake area or better yet Pasadena, but those are well away from Carson, further inland.

As far as taxes go, we're all still trying to figure out how it works. We just know that the government taketh and rarely giveth much back in return ^_^

Just my 2 pennies worth!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles