Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Thinking about moving to Denver, tell me about all the urban sprawl and traffic. Recommend good cinemas and movie theaters. Is the area liberal ?

Old 12-09-2008, 08:03 PM

10 posts, read 20,762 times

Advertisements

Looking to possibly move to Denver. Originally from Chicago and can't seem to acclimate to the LA urban Sprawl, traffic, "Fakeness", lack of loyalty from people, and the non-conservativeness. Liberal in many ways, but still hold Midwest values and not finding like minded people here.

Read that Denver is more conservative with "Yuppies" right up my alley and I would still be able to enjoy the outdoors and a centralized downtown area w/ public transportation.

Has anyone made this move yet? Anyone relocate from LA to Denver? Anyone relocate from Chicago to LA and have the same issues? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2008, 11:46 PM

2,589 posts, read 8,643,895 times
Why not ask that question in the Denver forum? There are many LA transplants there who probably don't post here.

Old 12-09-2008, 11:53 PM

10 posts, read 20,762 times
Thanks. I have also added my questions to the Denver Forum, but was hoping to see if there is anyone still in LA (as myself) that moved here from Chicago that might give me some sense as to why it is so difficult living here from the Midwest. Maybe it's just me, but it's a culture shock living in LA that I was not prepared for and Denver just seems to be more professional and conservative. Just trying to get some insight.

Old 12-10-2008, 12:15 AM

1,627 posts, read 4,221,098 times
I'm also looking at Denver sometime in the next year, job opportunities permitting.

Thing is, and I'm sure you'll get this on the Denver forum if you cross post, I've done a lot of research and it seems there's plenty of sprawl and fakeness in the Denver area to be had, particularly heading out to the 'burbs. Most of it, they blame on Californian transplants

I came from Phoenix before here, and L.A. is a big improvement, but maybe a little too big for me. Denver has about an 1/8th of the population of L.A. proper, which means a lot fewer options (for everything), but the busses are apparently fantastic, the light rail is ambitious and progressing fairly well, despite the economy, there is a centralized downtown, neighborhoods with their own distinct character, and you've got Rocky Mountain life on one side with Midwestern life on the other...plus it's an area I really dig the history of.

Denver's not as diverse as L.A., but there is a large latino population there (I'm white, but it just seems wrong not to have Mexican-Americans around ) and apparently a reasonably sized Korean population.

A lot of people complain about Denver's isolation (what if you want to go on a day trip to another city?) but I personally like the open space. Los Angeles is just a bit too crowded and spread out for me...I suspect I would enjoy Chicago for a year or so, but would start to feel claustrophobic after that. New York, for me, is just a great place to visit

All in all, I will certainly miss a lot of things about Los Angeles...but it's a love / hate relationship. When it's good, it's brilliant, but when it's bad...I'm not really impressed by L.A.'s famous food scene (perhaps I just don't have the money, but that seems contrary to the point given other cities culinary options), getting to the beach isn't that exciting for me (plus it takes forever...more of a Pasadena guy), Museums and Parks are spread out all over the place and it is very much a car town, despite having quite a nice, if still small subway system, and there is just not any open space not already occupied by someone. On the other hand, I will miss Griffith Observatory, and Pasadena, and the half-dozen pubs around town I really enjoy, and the fairly unique movie theaters (Vista is so much fun.) There's a lot of stuff to brag about here to the folks back home, even though it isn't really that impressive once you've been here a while. It'll also be tough because I'll likely have to transition out of the entertainment industry (short of making a few freelance bucks in Denver.)

I like my cities dense surrounded by a lot of nothing ^_^ Denver isn't exactly that, with a fairly sizable sprawl of it's own, but it's closer to the mark than L.A. for me.

I suppose it's just a matter of perspective. Anyway, if you decide on Denver let me know. Maybe we can meet there for a drink one day =D

Old 12-10-2008, 12:25 AM

2,589 posts, read 8,643,895 times
You are not the first person to move here and find himself unable to find a niche. There's a poster like you here every other month; so, no, it is not just you. LA is definitely not for everyone.

Personally, I don't find it particularly difficult to meet people when I put myself out there, but it is difficult to develop those contacts beyond casual acquaintanceship. One reason for that is that we are all spread out, so if you make a friend at work, that person might live thirty or more miles away, and neither of you wants to make the trek the other's part of town on a regular basis. Another is that LA is full of nomads: people come here looking for something, and if they don't find it, they are gone in a year or two or three. (Like you?) Also, as people get older and become ready to live more settled lives, many leave the area altogether or move away from the active urban center, making it more difficult for friends left behind to remain bonded in a meaningful way.

I, too, have some experience living in a city where I could walk to the bar/restaurant on the corner and meet up with friends on a moment's notice, and I do miss the spontaneity of that lifestyle. In LA, we have to plan things in advance and around traffic patterns, and the hassle of it often keeps us in our own cocoons. I've got my eye on Denver as well, but I don't have the impression that it differs much from LA in this regard, unless one lives downtown. However, I do look forward to a more balanced political atmosphere, so I'm really feeling you there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles