Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2008, 12:36 AM

5,812 posts, read 18,825,170 times

Advertisements

They're talking about Los Angeles lost Subway system. It's really fascinating. If you catch the show on make sure to watch it or DVR it. They showed that only a very small part of the Subway is still there, and a new one is being built. The show comes on History Channel. It is called "Cities of the Underworld" and the episode called "Land of Manson".

I'm sure you guys are familiar with LA's lost Subway system, but if not check it out. I'm sure there's info available online, as well as this show.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 04:12 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STLCardsBlues1989 View Post
They're talking about Los Angeles lost Subway system. It's really fascinating. If you catch the show on make sure to watch it or DVR it. They showed that only a very small part of the Subway is still there, and a new one is being built. The show comes on History Channel. It is called "Cities of the Underworld" and the episode called "Land of Manson".

I'm sure you guys are familiar with LA's lost Subway system, but if not check it out. I'm sure there's info available online, as well as this show.
You're right, this is fascinating.

PACIFIC ELECTRIC SUBWAY - Home (http://www.westworld.com/%7Eelson/larail/PE/tunnel.html - broken link)

Lots of pictures here:

PACIFIC ELECTRIC SUBWAY - Tunnel Tour (http://www.westworld.com/%7Eelson/larail/PE/tour.html - broken link)

http://www.westworld.com/%7Eelson/larail/PE/map.gif (broken link)

Old 12-12-2008, 10:48 AM

656 posts, read 1,355,399 times
Do they ever plan on making a legit subway system?

Old 12-12-2008, 02:01 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,894,436 times
Interesting stuff thanks!

Old 12-12-2008, 02:26 PM

956 posts, read 3,001,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
Legit? Probably not.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:32 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebuch View Post
yes, but the train system we have is a mix of heavy and light rail. below grade, at grade and above grade level.

the newest line to open (the east side line) will be mostly at grade (running along at street level). for a couple stops it will go underground.

the line to open after that (expo line) will mostly run along the street, except in certain areas where it will be grade separated. or elevated.

and they do want to extend the undergournd lines all the way to the coast. the subway to the sea.

in LA, the option exists for all these type of routes. above ground. street level. underground.

i am not particularly interested in a subway. but rather in a rail system that transports people through out the city effectively.

i ride the rails now and i anxiously await all the new developments in transit here in LA.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:02 PM

1,191 posts, read 1,583,942 times
I read there had been an extensive rail system plan put together for the Los Angeles area in the 1920s. Once the depression hit the plans were shelved. However, when the recovery began in the 1940s the plan got new life. But thanks to the power of the automobilbe lobby and real estate development interest the plan was killed again.

I do not know all of the details. If anyone knows more about it please post.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:40 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,894,436 times
It seems to me that building stuff underground in LA is a bad idea. First the weather in LA is pretty nice, unlike back east. Second, there are earthquakes and large pockets of natural gas (think La Brea tar pits).

I think LA is approaching the limits of how dense a city can get and still be dependent on rail, so I suspect that adding rail to LA isn't a bad idea, but I would much rather see it elevated like in Chicago rather than underground like NYC.

I don't see the benefits in LA of building underground.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:12 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,235,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Full-Blooded American View Post
Legit? Probably not.
Actually, they did, back in the 1920s. The plan was to subway Broadway downtown up to Lincoln HS in the Heights. Also recommended an aerial track, not unlike the Chicago EL to go through parts of downtown. They actually had a rail trestle coming out of the Pacific Electric Building, and over a few streets as it headed eastward. I believe it went from there to Long Beach, taking a similar route that the Blue Line takes now.

The story is that the LA Times had much to do with scuttling the plan because they wanted to build Union Station, consolidating the lines versus continuing to have numerous stations and lines all over downtown. All this stuff is available at the Central Library reference desk.

Old 12-16-2008, 11:18 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,235,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliDude1 View Post
I read there had been an extensive rail system plan put together for the Los Angeles area in the 1920s. Once the depression hit the plans were shelved. However, when the recovery began in the 1940s the plan got new life. But thanks to the power of the automobilbe lobby and real estate development interest the plan was killed again.

I do not know all of the details. If anyone knows more about it please post.
There are lots of references to this 'conspiracy' on the internet. It happened all across the country though: streetcar lines ripped up and busses taking their place. What makes it especially crushing for L.A. is that we had the most extensive surface rail system in the world.

Google Image Result for http://www.erha.org/pe_system_map.jpg

And here's the rail bridge that the trains used downtown from the Pacific Electric Building:

Google Image Result for http://www.ulwaf.com/Site-Images/PacificElectricRear.jpg
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles