Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2008, 06:06 PM

206 posts, read 1,079,033 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am considering the possibility of moving to LA area (versus NYC or another place), and I would like the inputs from some transplants who have moved to LA area in terms of your dating/relationship experiences in LA area (that includes all the nearby areas, including Manhattan Beach, etc).

LA seems a harder place to meet people than NYC because of the driving and it seems people are more self-centered (maybe not more than NYC) than elsewhere. Have that stopped you from forming good new relationships in LA?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2008, 06:29 PM

956 posts, read 3,003,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheregirl View Post
Have that stopped you from forming good new relationships in LA?
Yeah, pretty much.

Old 12-20-2008, 07:48 PM

1,020 posts, read 1,896,522 times
I think you are facing two different problems. I think its hard to meet someone after you move anywhere. When you are new to the area, you don't have an existing social network to fall back on and that can make it difficult to meet new people. So if you moved from LA to NYC, I think there is a chance you could be complaining about how difficult it is to meet people in NYC.

In LA and NYC not all areas are equally good for meeting people. Manhattan is probably a better place to meet people than Chatworth. But Manhattan Beach is probably a better place to meet someone than say Staten Island. So some of your problems about meeting people in LA may depend on where you live and play in LA.

I also think it depends on your age, your sexual orientation and your ethnicity. If you are Armenian looking to find someone like yourself, Glendale is probably a really good place to meet a man. But Glendale might not have so much appeal if you were Vietnamese.

In LA like NYC, different types of people are drawn to different areas. If you were one of the 'beautiful' people you might want to head out to Redondo or Manhattan Beaches. If you consider yourself more counter cultural, you might look at some place in Venice or Hollywood. If you are a bit wealthier or consider yourself more intellectual, you might look at Santa Monica or West LA.

Old 12-21-2008, 07:58 PM

206 posts, read 1,079,033 times
Default areas of LA

Thank you for that really informative post. Why are Manhattan and Redondo beaches for the "beautiful people"?

If I am a wholesome and active person, I like to have daily hikes or outdoor walks either on a trail, or in a park or on a beach, and I like an area that is easy to meet a lot of other people, what areas will that be?

How do people tend to meet in LA?

Which are the areas that is easiest to meet young professionals and writers near LA?

Thank a lot!

Old 12-21-2008, 09:41 PM

1,714 posts, read 6,056,826 times
I go hiking fairly regularly in the San Gabriel Mountains - there are lots of friendly people I often meet on the trails. I bet you would be able to find plenty of wholesome, active people to hike or walk with.

Old 12-21-2008, 10:05 PM

6,664 posts, read 30,624,858 times
As it is anywhere in the world. If you enjoy something, do it often. You are more likely to meet someone who enjoys this than anywhere else.

Why go to the car show to meet women who enjoy doll making?

Old 12-21-2008, 10:52 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,165,043 times
Define "good" relationships

NYC and LA are both playgrounds w/many wealthy guys and many hot chicks

Just as NYC is essentially Midtown and UppEastSide, LA is BevHills...they're each small towns when one deconstructs them

Many smart, younger guys have learned from their elders that pre-nups are critical if fall victim to marriage, and marriages are a fairly archaic and costly 20th century phenom practiced by one's clueless elders

Both LA and NYC attract a new set of ambitious hotties from all over world every year....so obsolescence and new talent are rapid phenomena in either town

Old 12-22-2008, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Thank you for that really informative post. Why are Manhattan and Redondo beaches for the "beautiful people"?

If I am a wholesome and active person, I like to have daily hikes or outdoor walks either on a trail, or in a park or on a beach, and I like an area that is easy to meet a lot of other people, what areas will that be?

How do people tend to meet in LA?

Which are the areas that is easiest to meet young professionals and writers near LA?

Thank a lot!

Manhattan Beach and Redondo Beach are actually towns adjacent to the beach. On the beach in both area is a board walk, referred to locally as the strand, where lots of people get together and rollerblade or ride their bikes. On the weekends and during the summer, people who live in the beachhouse often will get a keg and create mini parties for the women strolling up and down the boardwalk. Because its at the beach most people are showing a lot of skin. This is definitely one of those places where the guys with peck implants go to meet women boob implants. If Ken and Barbie were real people, this is where they would have met. There are bars and clubs in the area as well that people will meet up after playing at the beach.

Probably the single largest concentration of single professionals in LA is going to be found in West LA (basically Santa Monica, Brentwood, and Westwood). Because its close to the beach you one of the better microclimates in the region. It doesn't get to hot in the summer, the air is cleaner than the rest of the region. In Santa Monica especially around Montana Blvd, you have a lot of boutiques, cafes and some bars where the locals get together. Rent is high enough in the area where you have to be fairly good at your profession to live in the area.

You will meet people in your apartment complex, a complex with a hot tub is especially good for meeting your neighbors, but you can throw a housewarming for people in your building or your floor when you move in. People also meet at the gym. If you spend more for your gym, you will meet a better class of people in your gym. This why you can find these super elaborate gyms in West LA. If you play tennis, I would look for gym with tennis courts. Their is always someone looking for a doubles partners and that is really good place to meet someone.

If you are looking for more organized ways of meeting people, you might also try Outdoor Adventures put on by UCLA or the UCLA aquatic center. It tends to draw a pretty interesting group of people. If I didn't know anyone in the area, I would definitely find a class or a trip I was interested in and do it.

UCLA Recreational Sports: Outdoor Adventures

UCLA Recreational Sports: MAC Information

As far as finding writers, I would check out the writer's program at UCLA extention.

https://www.uclaextension.edu/index.cfm (broken link)

Depending on what type of writing you want to do, you might also check out some of the classes at the AFI.

American Film Institute

and if you are interested in comedy, you might see if the Groundlings are still offering writing classes.

== Welcome to the Groundlings ==

Once you get out here, and you meet more people who know more about the subject, they will be able to give more specific instructions of where else to look.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:16 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,970,410 times
Quote:
There are NO places that are for "beautiful people". That posters post is ridiculous. There arent any places where "beautiful people" have a stronghold. You'll find good looking people and not so good looking people everywhere you go in LA. You can go to any mall (Sherman Oaks Fashion Square, Topanga Plaza Woodland Hills, Beverly Center, Glendale Galleria) and you'll see some very good looking people and some not so good looking people.

Old 12-22-2008, 12:26 PM

All animals are equal, but some animals more equal than all of the others.

George Orwell.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles