Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 12:24 PM

897 posts, read 1,591,278 times

Advertisements

This word gets thrown out a lot with hipsters and in the media when they try to appeal to a certain crowd. I personaly like it about as much as I like the word "Latino" (which I don't) and it feels somehow pretentious or fake to use it. But, since there is no other word to replace it, I'm using it anyway. So, what makes you distinctly an "Angelino"? Is it where you live, how you live, who you hang out with, what you do for a living? I'm not asking for a definition of the word. I'm asking what it is that you guys do that makes defines you as an "Angeleno".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2008, 01:25 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Born in L.A., lived in L.A., son and grandson of people from L.A., worked in L.A., fascinated by L.A., love L.A., root for the Angels since they were in L.A. I guess that makes me an Angeleno. Or Angelino.

By the way, the term's been in use long before these hipsters and media figures picked up on it. The first time I recall hearing it, approx 1960, was from Ralph Story, and I've seen it used in print from a time long before that.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:02 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,544,859 times
I live here. That's what makes me an Angeleno. I don't find it pretentious at all. What else would you call residents of L.A.?

Old 12-30-2008, 07:49 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
The fact that I was born and raised here makes me an Angeleno.

Old 12-30-2008, 07:58 PM

1,636 posts, read 3,285,548 times
It's just a term for people that live in Los Angeles.
Like New Yorker is a person living in New York, Chicagoan is a person in Chicago, a New Englander is someone living in New England, Californian a person living in California.
Every city/state/place has a term for its citizens.
I think you're looking too much into it.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:04 AM

897 posts, read 1,591,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antialphabet View Post
It's just a term for people that live in Los Angeles.
Like New Yorker is a person living in New York, Chicagoan is a person in Chicago, a New Englander is someone living in New England, Californian a person living in California.
Every city/state/place has a term for its citizens.
I think you're looking too much into it.
Yeah, maybe but this wasn't supposed to be a discussion of the word or an argument starter. It was just supposed to be a fun little thread about what defines us as "Angelinos". I guess I should've used one of these

Old 12-31-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmancomics View Post
Yeah, maybe but this wasn't supposed to be a discussion of the word or an argument starter. It was just supposed to be a fun little thread about what defines us as "Angelinos". I guess I should've used one of these
My bad. I wasn't really starting an argument. You said it felt pretentious and fake, and I just said it was just another term.

Old 12-31-2008, 06:03 PM

12,974 posts, read 33,945,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
The fact that I was born and raised here makes me an Angeleno.
I just though of something, if someone moves here from another state, I dont think they should be called Angelenos and they should not claim to be. If I moved to Texas I would not be a Texan. I would always be an Angeleno. So, you transplants stop saying youre Angelenos because youre really Bostonians, New Yorkers, Idahoans, etc.

Old 12-31-2008, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaBeez View Post
I just though of something, if someone moves here from another state, I dont think they should be called Angelenos and they should not claim to be. If I moved to Texas I would not be a Texan. I would always be an Angeleno. So, you transplants stop saying youre Angelenos because youre really Bostonians, New Yorkers, Idahoans, etc.
Home is where you make it?
It's not where youre from, its where youre at?
The right to choose?

So many people in cities in California are transplants.

Old 12-31-2008, 08:11 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,661,015 times
so after how long does a new yorker become an angeleno. once they lose their accent? once they use words like "harsh". i think that most angelinos (an alt. spelling) are those who are happy to call LA their home.
but like everything there is also a degree of being.
lets use baseball as an analogy. some are hardcore dodger fans, some are recent converts. if they are at the stadium, or root for the dodgers... then i would consider them all dodger fans. some a bit more fanatic than others.

with LA and its residents, i would consider them angelinos...
some just more disgruntled and unhappy than others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
View detailed profiles of: