Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 12:30 PM

225 posts, read 1,090,805 times

Advertisements

You should definitely visit before getting a visa. Few cities are as poorly-understood or as mythologized as Los Angeles.

Your accent won't be a problem. Some parts of the LA area (notably Santa Monica Main St) are crawling with Brits, including Scots. It will not be a minus for jobs or dates, and may well be a plus. Bear in mind, though, that many Americans believe British people either speak like the Queen or like Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins. They will be a little confused by the fact that you don't sound like either. And they won't have heard many Scottish accents. Consider Mike Myers' lousy effort at a Scottish accent in Shrek III. My guess is that you will be asked a lot whether you are Irish. But I could be wrong.

Financially, you're wise to wait a couple of years. California's economy is in a mess at the moment. Worse than Britain's. But it will probably pull out sooner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2009, 12:11 AM

715 posts, read 2,087,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardius View Post
My experience is that people in the UK were much more critical and judgemental of others whereas people in the US are much more critical of themselves. In the US people worry about when they go abroad that they will percieved as an "ugly American", they are self conscious about how they are percieved by others. In the UK, there wasn't the same concern about how UK soccer fans acted when they went on holiday even though their conduct was objectively probably much worse.

In the US the shopping clerks will exchange social pleasantries with you. They might greet you by asking "How are you?" and when they leave they will probably tell you to "Have a nice day!". In the US no one things anything of that and most people are appreciative that someone is making an effort to engage in social pleasantries. But in the UK, you are likely to have someone tell you or read in one of the tabloids some story implying that Americans are pretty vacant or somehow insincere because Americans like to engage in social pleasantries. In America, people know that the appropiate response to "How are you?" is "Fine, thank you! How are you?" There is no need to deconstruct some greater hidden meaning in social pleasantries. In the US people aren't so actively looking for reasons to put someone else down.

I think the change of pace from the UK will do you a world of good. My sister-in-law is from London and vows to never return. She says she misses the digestive biscuits and abundance of good Indian restaurants, but otherwise has no intention of ever going back. You will have fun in LA. 19 is a wonderful age to be exploring southern california.

Just had to laugh, totally agree, could'nt put it better myself.

I think the Scotts however does'nt really fall under the same catergory and really are a friendly bunch unlike the Fooking english, who love to behave like dogs abroad and roam like their cut above the rest and think the world owes them something.

I would tell you to come over on holiday first, see what its really like, go back after and get cracking in getting yourself a degree in a job that is in demand here and you think you'll enjoy.

Do yourself a favor, goto the american embassy website from your shores and check out what you need to know. Most of it is there to get your started. GL

Old 01-26-2009, 11:30 AM

8 posts, read 18,463 times
go visit california first. make sure u really wanna do LA. Im planning on taking a career break and heading over for a year, solo. so I went and visited many places with friends including LA but i just fell in love with san francisco.

when we were over there on we found everyone just loves talking to you because your scottish. I found San Fran quite homely because there seems to be lots of scots and irish. i even found shops that sold irn bru, and scottish tablet along with all the old firm merchandise. :L

Old 01-27-2009, 08:08 AM

47 posts, read 164,695 times
Definitely visit prior to moving anywhere! In California everyone is welcome - it's a huge melting-pot where everyone is from everywhere else.

In Northern California, there are a few Scottish associations (I found them just by doing a search for "scottish associations in california"). Here's a link to one of them. Dixon Scottish Cultural Association Maybe they'd be a friendly source of information for you as well?

Do your research before signing any lease, purchase agreement, etc, if you choose to live here. In California we have "Megan's Law" where the sex offenders have to register where they live. Here's a link to that website. California Megan's Law - California Department of Justice - Office of the Attorney General Once there, you can search by address, zip code, city, etc. Make wise decisions and stay alert.

Los Angeles County now has an unemployment rate of 10% so it's difficult to say what that will truly do to the economy and/or crime rates. Here's a link to the Los Angeles Police Department's website. official website of THE LOS ANGELES POLICE DEPARTMENT From there, you can take a look at the "crime maps". If you have family who are police officers in Scotland, ask them if they'll contact LAPD on your behalf for better insight.

I don't want to scare you by offering these suggestions, I want you to be educated. You'd be a long way from home, wide-eyed, and awe-struck. I want you to have a great experience in California and I want you to be safe while here. By doing your research, you'll be much more prepared for anything thrown your way.

Best of luck to you.

Stay safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles