Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2007, 03:56 PM

186 posts, read 835,995 times

Advertisements

http://www.primenewswire.com/newsroo....html?d=115501

Someone kept harping for months and month and months about how everyone was moving OUT of Los Angeles, and how Uhauls were very cheap coming in but very expensive going out. Needless to say, his argument was groundless and way off base.

During the 2005 peak, does anyone want to guess want REGION had the most homes purchased? Does anyone want to guess what area of the United States grew the fastest in terms of population (on absolute scale not percentage)? Does anyone want to guess what region had the third hottest real estate market 2001-2005? Does anyone want to guess what area saw a substantial rise in jobs over 2002-2005? Does anyone want to guess what the top airport is for foreigners entering the country to stay is? Does anyone want to guess what the second highest Destination to Destination airport in the country is (does not include places like denver that act as routing networks)? Does anyone want to guess which region receives the most people via Uhaul?

If you guessed LA on all counts, you would be correct.

You are right, people are leaving LA in the droves, but those of you who LOVE the bay area, and even places like central valley, etc. should consider this. People have been leaving the bay area in the tens of thousands for years. THe population is constant you say? Thats because foreigners are filling the gaps. Hispanics, asian, european, etc. People are even leaving Sacramento, Stockton, Fresno and other areas and moving out of state. They are being replaced by Bay Area people, and Bay Area people are being replaced by internationals. To be honest, I like how LA gets refreshed every so often and stays dynamic.

Oh yeah, those of you who say illegals are filling the gaps....you would be right.......sorta. Areas like echo park, silver lake, hollywood, west hollywood, downtown, mid-city west, beverly hills, west LA, culver city, santa monica, and venice are getting much denser and much more expensive. Gentrification is actually reducing the number of illegals and replacing them with professionals, so about half of LA's growth is due to professionals, and a large half is growing due to illegal immigration. Also, I dont think illegals are coming in by plane or Uhaul which both show LA as a top destination of foreigners and out of state and out of region Americans.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 05:36 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,344,826 times
No surprise. I read CNN Money a lot which has a good take on the direction L.A. is going. It will grow another 30% in the next very, very few years.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:56 PM

4,657 posts, read 8,721,730 times
Uhaul wanted to charge us almost $4,000 from Burbank to Greenville.
We decided to just sell everything on Craigslist and buy all new stuff when we get there.

Old 03-16-2007, 06:03 PM

196 posts, read 1,237,841 times
Default top destination

of course, LA is a worldwide top destination in many industries areas, I know many foreign professional people who came here from Europe or Asia, Australia and Canada cos here their earning nearly double in many pioneer industries, not only movie, I have many friends from France, Italy, Spain and the Uk living in many areas in and around LA, but they are top professionals in high-tec or medical industries, or movie, and they live in places as Pasadena, Studio, Beverly Hills, Westwood, Santa Monica, Palisades, Los Feliz, West Hollywood, Sherman Oaks, Agoura Hills, Westlake and Hollywood Hills, ok, thats true, but I daily see thousands of homeless in my way back home, I cant take a quiet walk at Sunset or Hollywood Blvds., I cant take metro or a bus, as in Nyc people do, and I feel everyday the distance between riches and poors, of any race, in LA is longer. but still love this city, but I think something is going wrong with it. I remember when I was a child going easily and safe to places as Downey, and many other areas of SouthEast Los, now I dont. I remember when my grands owns a house in the Valley, now they wouldnt.

I dont wanna live in a gated hill mansion, or a luxury condo in Westwood if I cant walk around the city, go on night to a beach, or to a restaurant. And I dont wanna read everyday in the news that someone was shoot only a few miles away from home.

Old 03-16-2007, 07:37 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,883,471 times
L.A is the type of city that will continue to grow and attract people from all over the World.

L.A may have problems,but I truly feel that things are improving and will continue to do so as time goes by.

I Love L.A
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles