Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2012, 11:37 AM

26 posts, read 55,748 times

Advertisements

I think we can all agree that although Downtown Los Angeles has been steadily improving over the years, the last year and a half have been so rapid and beneficial for the area. The restaurants opening have been significant (big ones such as Perch, Umamicatessan, Artisan House, etc) the community is stronger and more connected than ever (Historic Core won neighborhood of the year), more lofts and apartments are on the way, more hotels are on the way, Broadway is seeing a wave of new life and energy, new significant towers are on the way, etc. More and more people are also using public transport, more companies are moving back downtown, retail is making a big comeback (targetcity), the area is becoming greener with new parks, etc. I could go on and on with all the transformations it has been experiencing. And because I work at Perch, I see that people from all over Los Angeles are changing their attitudes of Downtown. So, if you are aware of all this and know everything thats on the way (the list goes on and on. If you don't know I can tell you!) and you can see the depth of the people that live here (its something different than a "hollywood" mentality) would it be safe to say that Downtown Los Angeles is really redefining Los Angeles and on the right path to becoming a world class representation for the city? Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2012, 11:46 AM

215 posts, read 490,827 times
Well I will tell you this, I moved to SoCal from Minneapolis, MN about a year ago and when I went downtown for the first time I had no idea it was a bad place 5 years ago. I had a blast and wanted/want to live there. I only found out about its past a couple of months ago. So I would say DTLA is doing a decent job of forgetting what it was, therefore becoming what it wants to be.

Old 03-05-2012, 12:03 AM

5,864 posts, read 15,234,836 times
I can't honestly think of one area in LA right now that is hotter. Despite what people say about LA having multiple centers, LA has one downtown and that's downtown Los Angeles. It has the most employees, has the most office space and has the tallest buildings in the city. It has some of the oldest and most beautiful architecture in the city imo. It has the most subway stations and bus routes in the city. The main train station is there. It has the most cultural amenities, it has the Lakers, the largest convention center and I believe the most hotel rooms. And now with the construction of new hotels, stores, museums, restaurants, apts/condos, parks, another lightrail line coming soon and companies relocating downtown, now more than ever it is the center of Los Angeles imo.

Last edited by pwright1; 03-05-2012 at 12:42 AM..

Old 03-05-2012, 11:07 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,538,523 times
I just had to chime in to say we went to Perch for dinner a few weeks ago, and it was FANTASTIC. Amazing views, the food was good, and the outdoor bar/patio area was very cool. Not sure if you were our waiter, but the service was great too.

In terms of this question, there is no question IMO that the revitalization of downtown has been an extreme plus for the city, and the region in general. The access to transit, as pwright mentioned, is key to this rennaisance. Downtown LA is only getting better, and with the new Regional Connector, the available office/commercial space, and the burgeoning residential scene, it is the hottest place to be right now (even hotter than Hollywood IMO).

Old 03-05-2012, 12:04 PM

844 posts, read 2,100,917 times
I have my doubts that slums can be transformed into hip neighborhoods overnight... and have it stick for long. Only time will tell!

Downtown Long Beach had money pumped into it for years during the boom, but it turned out to be artificial change. Once the developers stopped propping it up, it fell abck into it's old ways.

Hopefully I'm wrong about LA and it sticks!

Old 03-05-2012, 08:52 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wing Feathers View Post
I have my doubts that slums can be transformed into hip neighborhoods overnight... and have it stick for long. Only time will tell!

Downtown Long Beach had money pumped into it for years during the boom, but it turned out to be artificial change. Once the developers stopped propping it up, it fell abck into it's old ways.

Hopefully I'm wrong about LA and it sticks!
I think it's safe to say you are wrong. The forces of change in downtown are organic and led by private investment not public subsidies. No doubt the infrastructure improvements planned (parks, streetscapes) are needed and will help. But the change is real.....granted it is probably another 10 years until it reaches its full potential. The progress in the last 10 years is like night and day.

Old 03-05-2012, 09:03 PM

1,045 posts, read 1,977,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshualevi View Post
So, if you are aware of all this and know everything thats on the way (the list goes on and on. If you don't know I can tell you!) and you can see the depth of the people that live here (its something different than a "hollywood" mentality) would it be safe to say that Downtown Los Angeles is really redefining Los Angeles and on the right path to becoming a world class representation for the city? Thoughts?
Downtown LA needs the following things in my view:

1. Continue to INCREASE the downtown residential base. Currently there are about 40,000 residents. That number needs to get to AT LEAST 60,000 and more like 80,000 to "fill in" the missing blocks in between already revitalized blocks. Downtown Miami has approx. 70,000 residents.

2. Fix the failing, outdated, and dirty infrastructure, esp in the historic core. The sidewalks in the Financial District look new and clean. The historic core's are rotting in many places. There is a new streetscape plan for Broadway. This can't happen fast enough.

3. Broadway needs to turn around like Spring Street already has. This will clean up and fix up many beautiful but tired, empty buildings. More activity at night will help "keep the lights on" after 5pm along this important, historic part of downtown. Plenty of proejcts in the works here already. So there is real progress being made.

4. More parks/greenspace. Downtown is getting more parks; however, it needs LOTS more.

Old 03-05-2012, 11:20 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,845,315 times
As Downtown revitalizes, it is also pushing other neighborhoods around it (Hollywood, Koreatown) to redevelop in an urban, pedestrian friendly way - It is no coincidence these neighborhoods are well connected transit wise.

Old 03-06-2012, 04:58 PM

21 posts, read 74,388 times
Sorry to be nitpicky, but Koreatown is actually a district of Downtown L.A. (A common misconception that it isn't though (ditto for Chinatown).) Also I don't understand what all the complaints are about. I've been to many places worldwide and Downtown L.A is surely one of the most amazing places in the world. (And what major city is completely free of any crime-containing neighborhoods, might I ask?) I've been to many parts with people of all kinds walking its sidewalks and it's full of vitality and life (and I felt safe). Also it's very VERY cultural in many different dimensions.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:18 AM

938 posts, read 4,092,849 times
Korean is a district of DTLA? How about no.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles