Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2007, 07:59 PM

97 posts, read 646,666 times

Advertisements

Why is it that LA does not have more very tall buildings like Chicago,New York City etc.It would seem to me that a maturing city that is out of developable land would have more very large buildings under construction.More condos could ease the affordability crisis in home ownership.If the teachers,cops,firefighters cannot buy a home they are not going to want to live in LA.Miami has huge buildings going up so does Atlanta.I notice you dont really see that in LA and was wondering if anyone knows why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2007, 09:52 PM

6,588 posts, read 17,548,321 times
One word: Earthquakes.

I think there is some kind of building code that prohibits buildings from being over a certain height.

Besides, what good would tall residential buildings do if the infrastructure weren't also upgraded (streets, schools, etc.)?

Old 01-12-2007, 11:09 PM

85 posts, read 505,269 times
No, it isn't earthquakes. Japan has terrible earthquakes and there are more tall buildings just in Tokyo than in the entire US I bet. High rises can be built to survive eathquakes.

LA does have tall buildings, just not a lot of them. However, I think you will see a lot more in the coming decades. As you said the easy flat land is mostly gone. It makes sense to build upward now in LA and I think you will see it happen sooner rather than later.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:29 AM

1,287 posts, read 5,024,581 times
LA does have many tall buildings, but they are spread out across the city in places like Century City, Westwood, Miracle Mile, Mid Wilshire/Koreatown, Encino, Sherman Oaks, Woodland Hills, and of course, downtown where most of the city's skyscrapers are. If all of these buildings were conconcentrated in one place like in NY and Chicago, LA's skyline would be similar in density.
Nevertheless, LA is 3rd in the U.S., 6th in North America and 10th in the world for having the most commercial buildings according to Skyscraperpage.com. Here are links to the lists:

http://www.skyscraperpage.com/cities/?RNA
http://www.skyscraperpage.com/cities/

Old 01-13-2007, 10:01 AM

989 posts, read 5,924,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin70 View Post
No, it isn't earthquakes. Japan has terrible earthquakes and there are more tall buildings just in Tokyo than in the entire US I bet. High rises can be built to survive eathquakes.
The ground beneath Japan is more solid than sandy California.

Another difference could potentially be insurance premiums. California has a history of earthquake disasters. Insurance companies must charge more so that new buildings don't become victim to future quakes. High rises CAN be built to survive quakes, but the costs to build and insure a skyscraper may be much more than buying other land, and building a sprawling office park.

Old 01-13-2007, 03:33 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,874,151 times
L.A has already reached buildout,so if it wants to continue growing it will have to start building upwards,which is already happening.

Old 01-13-2007, 08:26 PM

33 posts, read 151,395 times
L.A is going to build up. Right know L.A is renewing most if its historic buildings. turning them into lofts and have retail on ground floor. Most of South Park is getting new towers since their is nothing to renew alot of major development are in south Park by 2016 L.A should have a tall and dense skyline

Old 04-03-2007, 10:32 AM

1 posts, read 5,733 times
yes just like TheRealAngelion said, this region does not have a concentration of buildings like other major US metropolises, I believe its called decentralization. Why go to downtown LA when you can work in the OC. The buildings are spread out into other cities. Also, the LA region is vast. LA region is built outwards instead of upwards. Thats why you can still find many homes so far outside LA, like Redlands and San Bernardino

Old 04-03-2007, 11:01 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,995,285 times
I always figured Manhattan had taller buildings simply because it is an island, so there is nowhere to spread "out". LA is sprawling. There's more earth space laterally to build. ETA: When my DH and I were first married and he saw NYC for the first time, his head was craned upward the entire ride--LOL. He couldn't believe the density of tall buildings. LA does have tall buildings but Manhattan literally has them one on top of the other.

Last edited by JerZ; 04-03-2007 at 11:13 AM..

Old 04-03-2007, 01:33 PM

196 posts, read 1,237,112 times
I dont wanna another Manhattan here, I like that the high-rise are spread out around many places in the city, I love Century City and Westwood skylines views from Brentwood and Palisades, and those in Mid-wilshire from Beverly Hills, and downtown views from Los Feliz and the Hollywood Hills, Los Angeles skyline is amazing!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles