Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2007, 02:28 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
I have mixed feelings about it. I love the directness of the eastcoast, but I love the environment of the west. I raised my daughter out west, and she is a typical westcoaster: friendly, chipper, polite, more quiet, indirect, etc. She and I have our outs when I am so direct -- I just can't seem to get into that polite mode all the time.

On the other hand, when I have moved back and forth between west and eastcoast, I have noticed a sense of doom and gloom from eastcoasters. I had gotten used to the "go for it" phrase in the west, and in the east, it was more like "oh, that could never work..." It seems in the west more people are positive and willing to try new things.

When my daughter was an exchange student, she met up with other kids from the other states and one girl from TN said to her, "You're like what we think of as Californians: you're nice, polite, funny, positive, pretty, and kind," as if that was in insult. And then this girl from the south proceeded to tell my daughter that they have humorous greeting cards that say, "You're must be from California" and a picture of a UFO on them (!), like all westcoast people are spaced out.

My compromise is that I generally tend to hang out more with eastcoast people who live in the west. That way, I get to have the polite atmosphere, the good environment, but I don't have to be afraid to speak my mind!!
I so agree with most of what you said. I find that when I hang out with a New Yorker, for instance, I have more energy, talk faster and laugh more, not that Californian's aren't funny. My whole family except for the kids were all from NY. You just can't generalize any group of people from any state...there are just some similarities in all people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2007, 05:08 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Can I just say something here? I haven't read the responses yet...just the OP. Cali people *seem* nicer than east coast people at first glance. They do all the outwardly "right" things. People really do wave and say hi to you on the street even if you've never met them. In grocery stores, they don't LET you pack your own bags. Then once they're all done doing that for you, they offer to take your cart out to your car. Even if it only contains one bag! So...they seem nice.

BUT...try to scratch below the surface and you get the same glazed unwavering smile which doesn't change one milimeter whether you tell the person "hi, it's nice out" or "hey, I just found out my father is dying of cancer" or "hi, I just heard about a mass killing spree in an elementary school".

Women all have a slightly starved, tight-smiled look that says "Hey, I just naturally happen to have a 46-inch bust and 21-inch waist, it has NOTHING to do with my constant TERROR of the frightening competition and the unbelievable superficiality and looks-based attitude around here. I haven't had (much) plastic surgery. I'm a good person. I am. I AM. I AM. WHY DON'T YOU LOVE ME????????????????? PLEASE GOD JUST LOVE ME EVEN THOUGH I PIGGED OUT ON AN APPLE LAST NIGHT AND GAINED 7 OUNCES OF WATER WEIGHT!"

On the east coast, by contrast...we are who we are. And you know us for who we are. And if we're pissed at you, we don't smile glazedly at you and say "Oh you look so greeeeeeeeeeeeeat!" and then turn around and hshhhhhhhhh-hshhhhhh into the phone with our few very carefully-selected friends about what a fat creep you are.

People are down on east coasters for being "less nice"...but J*sus...at least you know what you're getting.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:20 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
p.s. I should clarify...I'm not an east coaster now...I lived on the east coast for most of my life and moved to SoCal two years ago.

My DH has heard my plastic surgery whining and insists that "not that many" people get plastic surgery...except even HE has. It was low-key...a non-cancerous-looking mole removal because he thought it made him look "too feminine". He was 14 years old.

His sister just had breast implants. So far she's pretty much ok with everything else, except for the bullemia part, oops.

Oh, but NOBODY else.

Except the two women on the playground the other day comparing...one "had to" have her boobs reduced. (She says. They sure don't look small to me.) "Oh, I always wore a reducing bra," she insisted. Her friend nodded agreement. "No shame in that! I just couldn't live with my stretch marks so blah blah blah."

I just wanted to clarify that because anyone who hasn't had at least one procedure done is bound to feel very incompetent on the west coast. Except those of us who are naturally 5-foot-9, 107 pounds and have a gym membership and someone to watch the kids for two hours a day, and insist that Botox and dermabrasion aren't plastic surgery...

Sorry so long-winded...but I've heard people say "Oh, you're exaggerating! We don't ALL get nipped and tucked," but ironically...the last person to insist that to me had just had her breasts increased!

Old 03-16-2007, 05:32 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,305 times
I've spoken about this at length with East Coast friends who lived on the West Coast. I'm quite familiar with the East. My personal observations are the following: people from the East Coast don't waste energy "faking it". In L.A. you're more likely to have someone put on a happy, insincere face for you. A New Yorker is on a schedule and won't waste their time doing something like this.

Old 03-16-2007, 05:44 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,785,113 times
Sounds like Southern California is a lot different than Northern California where I am. Glad I'm not around L.A.!!
Ex-eastcoaster

Old 03-16-2007, 05:45 PM

1,749 posts, read 8,338,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisteria View Post
Sounds like Southern California is a lot different than Northern California where I am. Glad I'm not around L.A.!!
Ex-eastcoaster
Eh, it's the Hollywood thing. We all have to look good

Old 03-16-2007, 08:28 PM

465 posts, read 2,426,990 times
I've been to L.A. on about six different occasions now, and absolutely love California, and would live there if I could comfortably on a nurse's salary of about $75-$80k. The thing I despise about Southern Californians is they seem empty in the brain and not very genuine. I don't know if it's the whole Hollywood influence or what, but I'm from the south and have lived up north as well, and people just seem to be quite a bit more grounded and straight forward than the west coast; which I appreciate. Although Southern Cali is it's own culture even though it's the U.S., I just don't get people out there; I never know whose trustworthy and for real. I don't know, I wish I could put southern/east coast people in Cali, and I'd have a perfect world. Oh, along with the cost of living here in the south.

Old 03-16-2007, 09:03 PM

1,999 posts, read 4,875,368 times
I think Southern,Northern,Central and Coastal California are different when it comes to Attitudes,and also the Weather can affect people's mood too.

Old 03-16-2007, 10:27 PM

14 posts, read 86,495 times
Good luck with everything in Boston, Puffle!

I just recently moved to San Francisco, but lived in the Boston area and Boston itself for my entire life. I love Boston. It's a great city with a great passion and people are extremely cultured, intelligent, fun, and real. Yes they can be aggressive and to the point, but that is the beauty of an east coaster. There is no fakeness or b.s-ing. You get what you see. It's just a very different ball game in how people interact with each other when comparing the east coast and the west coast.

I completely understand why you feel at home in Boston and am very glad that you are happy in returning. I can definitely see myself going back in a couple years.

Old 03-16-2007, 11:08 PM

5,835 posts, read 5,203,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
Can I just say something here? I haven't read the responses yet...just the OP. Cali people *seem* nicer than east coast people at first glance. They do all the outwardly "right" things. People really do wave and say hi to you on the street even if you've never met them. In grocery stores, they don't LET you pack your own bags. Then once they're all done doing that for you, they offer to take your cart out to your car. Even if it only contains one bag! So...they seem nice.

BUT...try to scratch below the surface and you get the same glazed unwavering smile which doesn't change one milimeter whether you tell the person "hi, it's nice out" or "hey, I just found out my father is dying of cancer" or "hi, I just heard about a mass killing spree in an elementary school".

Women all have a slightly starved, tight-smiled look that says "Hey, I just naturally happen to have a 46-inch bust and 21-inch waist, it has NOTHING to do with my constant TERROR of the frightening competition and the unbelievable superficiality and looks-based attitude around here. I haven't had (much) plastic surgery. I'm a good person. I am. I AM. I AM. WHY DON'T YOU LOVE ME????????????????? PLEASE GOD JUST LOVE ME EVEN THOUGH I PIGGED OUT ON AN APPLE LAST NIGHT AND GAINED 7 OUNCES OF WATER WEIGHT!"

On the east coast, by contrast...we are who we are. And you know us for who we are. And if we're pissed at you, we don't smile glazedly at you and say "Oh you look so greeeeeeeeeeeeeat!" and then turn around and hshhhhhhhhh-hshhhhhh into the phone with our few very carefully-selected friends about what a fat creep you are.

People are down on east coasters for being "less nice"...but J*sus...at least you know what you're getting.
Loved your thoughts on West vs. East. Right on target.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles