Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2009, 10:19 AM

2 posts, read 9,507 times

Advertisements

I've been reading all of the posts here for a long time and this forum is an excellent source of information.

I was born in socal. and grew up there until i was in my teens and moved. I currently live in the most miserable [weather] place in the states, the pacific northwest. I absolutely hate living here and have been waiting for the right time to move to the place I love, southern California. This probably wont happen until next summer.

I don't have a glorious job or aspirations of home ownership. I work in the IT field, which sucks right now because of the economy. In my 30's, my wife is Hawaiian and hates the weather here too. Basically, i'm a big goofy white guy who absolutely loves every single aspect of Asian culture. I'm studying Cantonese and Mandarin, i own 2000 kung fu movies, and a bunch of Asian "stuff".

I currently live in my city's "Chinatown" and wanted to know if anyone had any insight as to what it would be like to live in L.A.'s Chinatown.

These are some of the things im looking for:
1. Crime: I'd like an area that my chances of being killed in a drive by shooting are around 1%. It doesn't have to be a utopian paradise.

2. Rent: I can't find a whole lot on craigslist as far as the average rent etc. At most, I could probably afford 1600/mnth

3. What's it like? Anybody live there? I'm all about living in a big city, i actually like taking the bus and eating food from street vendors.

4. Jobs: I have my degree in Networking, but im a hobbyist programmer on the side. If i lived in Chinatown would i have a huge commute somewhere else? Are there many jobs for freelance programmers?

5. If not Chinatown then what area could i live in and find a decent IT job and be within a couple of miles of Chinatown?

I thank you ahead of time for any advice you can give.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2009, 10:57 AM

1,714 posts, read 6,054,557 times
You're in luck - Los Angeles County is home to possibly the biggest Chinese/Asian enclave anywhere in the Western Hemisphere. Do some research on the San Gabriel Valley - you'll be so pleased. Look at the cities of Alhambra and Monterey Park, for starters. Both are safe and VERY Asian. Hawaiian grocery stores, Asian food and other businesses, Asian furniture stores - Indian grocery stores - Chinese grocery stores - Chinese everything stores - you won't believe how awesome it is until you see it.

For jobs, you would be close to downtown and Pasadena. I am not in the IT field, so am not going to try to advise you in that area.

Old 04-20-2009, 11:29 AM

17 posts, read 44,343 times
These are some of the things im looking for:
1. Crime: I'd like an area that my chances of being killed in a drive by shooting are around 1%. It doesn't have to be a utopian paradise.

Can't really predict what your chances would be for that. But the area you speak of isn't notorious for that. Just practice common sense.

2. Rent: I can't find a whole lot on craigslist as far as the average rent etc. At most, I could probably afford 1600/mnth

You might have to pick up a newspaper instead. You'll probably find housing in surrounding areas of downtown if that's really where you want to be.

3. What's it like? Anybody live there? I'm all about living in a big city, i actually like taking the bus and eating food from street vendors.

Chinatown proper is quite small compared to the Chinatowns in SF and NY, but the Asian community (specifically Chinese) is big and expands beyond that as timelesschild said. There is a burgeoning arts community there in Chinatown proper. I don't know about food from street vendors, but there are a lot of good restaurants in the area. You may like taking the bus or metro rail, but in reality you know that you will probably need a car or motorbike in L.A.
4. Jobs: I have my degree in Networking, but im a hobbyist programmer on the side. If i lived in Chinatown would i have a huge commute somewhere else? Are there many jobs for freelance programmers?

Most people in Los Angeles commute. Very few people live right around the corner from their jobs, but you never know. It's a crap shoot. Dice.com, Monster.com, etc.

5. If not Chinatown then what area could i live in and find a decent IT job and be within a couple of miles of Chinatown?

Can't say. IT Jobs are all over.

Good luck!

Old 04-20-2009, 12:36 PM

5,610 posts, read 23,308,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northwestrainsucks View Post
LA has a population density of approximately 7,000 people per square mile. So imagine a typical 1/2 mile by 1/2 mile neighborhood square to have 1,750 or so people living there. So you're saying in a given small neighborhood, if 17 people get killed in a drive by shooting (and not sure what time frame that means... per year, per 10 years, per lifetime?) that's good enough for you?

Either (I sure hope not) you have pathetically low standards or (more likely) you need to go back and think about that ridiculous statement you made.

Old 04-20-2009, 01:19 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,734,165 times
Are you looking for Chinatown - "the" Chinatown" or the San Gabriel Valley, which is basically the suburban version? If you are mostly just looking for somewhere with a high concentration of Chinese culture and language then you will appreciate LA's variety; you could live in the Chinatown near downtown, or various parts of the San Gabriel Valley. The SGV Chinese hotspots include Monterey Park, Alhambra, San Gabriel, etc. There's a range from really ritzy neighborhoods for millionaires to more modest and affordable neighborhoods. Alhambra, Monterey Park, and San Gabriel aren't on the gold line, but they do have bus transportation and certainly have places available in your price range.

You'll also appreciate the fact that in the SGV even with fairly basic cable you'll have plenty of Chinese language stations.

I like public transportation, too, but I think if I were you I'd lean more towards the SGV, mostly because it seems like a more dynamic Chinese area. Chinatown itself is smaller, and while still a destination (I was a regular visitor and shopper there) I think you'll find more of what you're looking for in the SGV.

As far as the downtown Chinatown goes, it's very close to Union Station, so it would be extremely convenient from a commuting standpoint (especially if taking public transportation). Right now is a bad time for jobs in general, but in normal times there are many IT jobs in the offices downtown. Chinatown is also on the Gold Line, so you could easily commute out to Pasadena.

Definitely investigate the San Gabriel Valley area, though; that way you can expand your options beyond one small area yet still have plenty of Chinese options to choose from. Even in South Pasadena, not known for being particulary Chinese, you can buy Chinese language newspapers on the street.

Old 04-20-2009, 08:03 PM

2 posts, read 9,507 times
Wow, everyone thanks for the insanely good information you've provided. It will definitely help. However there was one little troll hiding in the replies who goes by the name of vegaspilgrim:

Quote:
Either (I sure hope not) you have pathetically low standards or (more likely) you need to go back and think about that ridiculous statement you made.
Ive read alot of posts on city data and have rarely seen rude little piggy trolls, but seems we found one. Well, vegaspilgrim, it's something I like to refer to as humor. Have a nice day.

Old 04-21-2009, 12:23 AM

1,162 posts, read 3,236,399 times
You know, there ARE some really cool old Victorian/turn of the century homes for rent off Solano, near the stadium/park. I know they rent rooms out- it's kinda Raymond Chandleresque but not without its charm. That area is just a few blocks from Chinatown proper. It is a fun area- we caught some free entertainment (acrobats, Shaolin martial art team, jugglers) on Easter Sunday whilst shopping for knick-knacks.

That said, uptown is right; SGV is rife with Chinese culture, food, etc. Very dynamic and lots of variety spread out over a wide area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles