Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-15-2009, 07:33 PM

15 posts, read 106,330 times

Advertisements

Hi everybody,

I just wanted to know what are the best community colleges in the L.A. area. When I say best I mean: (1) quality of education, (2)diversity of academic studies, (3)affordability, (4)student housing, ect.

I'm actually from Honolulu, HI and I'm thinking about going to a community college in southern California. Then hopefully I can transfer to the Cal. State University system. (I was looking at CSUN).

If anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
-Travis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2009, 07:36 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,761,592 times
Search the threads for Santa Monica City College. Remarkably, there is a way to get guaranteed admission to UCLA from SMCC. I haven't confirmed this but a lot of posters have mentioned it.

If you are sure about CSUN, then consider Moorpark College in Moorpark. A very nice area, beautiful campus, lots of single family homes to rent a room (not too many apartments though), and high quality of education as most of the kids are local from good schools. Safe and pretty but probably a little boring because it mostly a suburban family region.

I think affordability is about the same at most JCs???

Why CSUN?

Do you know what you will be majoring in?

Old 07-15-2009, 08:11 PM

15 posts, read 106,330 times
thanks Charles for helping out.

I'm not sure about CSUN, but my ex girlfriend goes there and said its nice.

I'm not positive about my major either.
It'll either be Finance or Communication

Old 07-15-2009, 09:11 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,736,582 times
Pasadena City College also has a good reputation. Pasadena is a great place to live, and the area around the campus has a nice blend of student and non-student residents. Cost of living is relatively affordable there, too, at least for rentals.

Old 07-15-2009, 09:51 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
SMC is a great college, but it is very expensive to live in the area.

Old 07-16-2009, 05:09 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trav07 View Post
Hi everybody,

I just wanted to know what are the best community colleges in the L.A. area. When I say best I mean: (1) quality of education, (2)diversity of academic studies, (3)affordability, (4)student housing, ect.

I'm actually from Honolulu, HI and I'm thinking about going to a community college in southern California. Then hopefully I can transfer to the Cal. State University system. (I was looking at CSUN).

If anyone can help me out I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks
-Travis
CSUN is a good state school, if you do want to attend there you may want to look at Pearce and yes, Pasadena CC is very good. As for student housing, many of the students at CC live at home. I can't answer that.

Our son in law graduated from CSun with a degree in finance.

Nita

Old 07-16-2009, 08:57 AM

16,289 posts, read 32,345,962 times
What you may want to consider is the field of study. Even with the Junior College system the schools have diciplines that they focus in. Charles mentioned Moorpark College. They have an amazing program for individuals interested in working in a Zoo, or as a vet, animal trainer, ect. In Ventura College they have an amazing Nursing Program that has a 2 to 3 year wait list to get into. Oxnard College has a Pace program that works with Cal State Channel Islands. Complete that program and you will almost asuredly enter the CSUCI program. If you want to attend Northridge did you know that they have an amazing Engineering program? You would want to find a Junior College that offers Engineering in their curriculum to get into that program. Not all Junior Colleges offer every major out there. Pick wisely. Chances are thoug if you are an English, Sociology, or any other thing ending in gy, you will have no problem finding a program. You may have a problem getting a job, but that is a story for another post.

Old 07-16-2009, 09:25 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,899,782 times
There have been numerous threads on the CCs. Please try a search. You'll find that opinions vary widely.

Old 07-16-2009, 08:03 PM

109 posts, read 446,763 times
Long Beach CC is pretty good if you can get into the Honors program. If you go through their program you are basically guaranteed to get into UCLA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles