Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-09-2009, 03:27 AM

5 posts, read 18,403 times

Advertisements

Hi... I was looking for areas with good schools, close to the beach, and somewhat reasonably priced. Naples Island seems to be one of those places. I was wondering if anyone can answer two questions -

1) I was looking at the real estate prices in Naples Island. I was wondering if anyone knows why they seem to be falling when other nice areas in LA seem to be rebounding.

2) I was wondering if someone can tell me if there is a good public high school for Naples Island residents. The elementary and middle school seem excellent.

Thanks - I'd appreciate any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 08:13 AM

916 posts, read 3,702,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuyFromFlorida View Post
Hi... I was looking for areas with good schools, close to the beach, and somewhat reasonably priced. Naples Island seems to be one of those places. I was wondering if anyone can answer two questions -

1) I was looking at the real estate prices in Naples Island. I was wondering if anyone knows why they seem to be falling when other nice areas in LA seem to be rebounding.

2) I was wondering if someone can tell me if there is a good public high school for Naples Island residents. The elementary and middle school seem excellent.

Thanks - I'd appreciate any help.

No areas in socal are rebounding. Not sure what you're looking at unless it housing under $500k.

That said, Naples Island has held up pretty well. A probate sale lot value just went through for $650k. The lots are 2400 sq ft so that is not cheap. The average sale price is still over $500 per sq ft. A relatively new (less than 10 years old) 2,000+ sf 3/2 house is going to run you 1.2M to 1.4. One sold about 4 months ago for $1.35M. There is one in escrow for just under 1.4M. Water front houses are typically $2M for inner island. Bayfront can be up to $7M.

As far as high schools you have school of choice in LB. Most Naples kids go to Wilson. Wilson is ranked the highest of all schools in the LB, Los Alamitos, etc area by Newsweek.

It has an outstanding A/P program. There is diversity at the school since it pulls from other areas of LB and so its API scores are average. But look at the sub groups and you'll see very strong performance from the non ESL kids. Wilson sends a lot of kids to the best colleges (Ivy, etc.) and most people have positive things to say. While they likely won't be in the same classes, if you are uncomfortable with your kid being at a school with minorities and some socioeconomic (ie poor) kids, Wilson isn't for you.

The district just passed a bond to build 4 new thematic high schools in the city so within 4 years you should see a material downsizing of the enrollment at all high schools which is good in my opinion because right now they are too big.

You're correct that the elementary and middle schools are excellent.

All that said, there is no tighter community in socal than Naples. It's small size and because the houses (Decks, etc.) are oriented toward the front (garages in the back) foster this. It is in my biased opinion a fantastic place to live and to raise a family. You will know the entire neighborhood. If you are a seclude yourself in your house, private kind of person, you may not enjoy Naples. It is the essence of outdoor living with lots of neighborhood events (Christmas boat parade, pancake breakfasts, etc.)

Last edited by NaplesRes; 08-09-2009 at 09:00 AM..

Old 08-11-2009, 09:08 PM

5 posts, read 18,403 times
Thanks -
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles