Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2015, 02:31 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Yup it's expensive to live here, but it's hard to beat the weather, entertainment and close proximity to the mountains and beaches. Where else can you decide to either go snow skiing or to the beach on the same day? When my twin brother and I were 15 we got a small inheritance that my father invested. When we were 21 he helped us ( advised) use those funds to buy a foreclosure in Northridge near our college. ( he did help us with the money to fix it up). We flipped that house, payed him back and bought another foreclosure in Porter Ranch which we also put a little money into before we flipped it. With the profit I made I was able to buy a " short pay" in Santa Monica 3 blocks from the ocean. It's small 1400 sq ft, but it has a tiny guest house and pool in the rear. I rent out the main house which practically covers my mortgage amd I live in the guest house.
I am an accountant with a small business that I run from home and I work for a major airline. Between both jobs I make around 80k a year. It's not a lot, but with my accounting background I am pretty good at money handling. For fun I surf, scuba, run, take kick boxing and fish all of which cost practically nothing ( after the initial cost of equipment). I can walk to the beach or just about any place I need to go like the bank, market, cleaners etc. i like to cook so I don't eat out often, and I don't have cable tv, or a home phone. ( I have my cell and my computer for calls and watching movies and such). My airline job is pretty flexible so I can work my 40 hours in three days. I work a 16 hour shift on Tues, an 8 on Wed and another 16 on Thurs. I am off fri, sat, sun and Monday.
I can do my accounting work in the afternoons or evenings.
I'd planned on quitting the airline job when I graduated college, but the pay is good, they offer good health benefits and best of all.. Practically free flight benefits, which I have taken advantage of many times... Even if it was only a flight. From LA to San Francisco for lunch on Fisherman's Wharf and some shopping or to watch the Dodgers beat the Giants. Lol
I am not rich, but I have money in the bank, I am able to save and I think I live a pretty decent life.
I've used my benefits to go to the Bahamas, Hawaii, London, Costa Rica, Jamaica, the Dominican Republic, Rome, Amsterdam, and a few US cities. No husband, no kids, no boyfriend ... No drama lol
I am staying put for now.

I bow to thee, you are one smart lady!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2015, 09:04 AM

755 posts, read 675,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney123 View Post
Yup it's expensive to live here, but it's hard to beat the weather, entertainment and close proximity to the mountains and beaches. Where else can you decide to either go snow skiing or to the beach on the same day? When my twin brother and I were 15 we got a small inheritance that my father invested. When we were 21 he helped us ( advised) use those funds to buy a foreclosure in Northridge near our college. ( he did help us with the money to fix it up). We flipped that house, payed him back and bought another foreclosure in Porter Ranch which we also put a little money into before we flipped it. With the profit I made I was able to buy a " short pay" in Santa Monica 3 blocks from the ocean. It's small 1400 sq ft, but it has a tiny guest house and pool in the rear. I rent out the main house which practically covers my mortgage amd I live in the guest house.
I am an accountant with a small business that I run from home and I work for a major airline. Between both jobs I make around 80k a year. It's not a lot, but with my accounting background I am pretty good at money handling. For fun I surf, scuba, run, take kick boxing and fish all of which cost practically nothing ( after the initial cost of equipment). I can walk to the beach or just about any place I need to go like the bank, market, cleaners etc. i like to cook so I don't eat out often, and I don't have cable tv, or a home phone. ( I have my cell and my computer for calls and watching movies and such). My airline job is pretty flexible so I can work my 40 hours in three days. I work a 16 hour shift on Tues, an 8 on Wed and another 16 on Thurs. I am off fri, sat, sun and Monday.
I can do my accounting work in the afternoons or evenings.
I'd planned on quitting the airline job when I graduated college, but the pay is good, they offer good health benefits and best of all.. Practically free flight benefits, which I have taken advantage of many times... Even if it was only a flight. From LA to San Francisco for lunch on Fisherman's Wharf and some shopping or to watch the Dodgers beat the Giants. Lol
I am not rich, but I have money in the bank, I am able to save and I think I live a pretty decent life.
I've used my benefits to go to the Bahamas, Hawaii, London, Costa Rica, Jamaica, the Dominican Republic, Rome, Amsterdam, and a few US cities. No husband, no kids, no boyfriend ... No drama lol
I am staying put for now.

You are rich!

You are discipline and a self thinker. You know what you want and you could careless what others think. You are happy and financially stable, that makes you rich.

You have money.
You love your job.
You love where you live.

Nothing beats that!!

If a majority of Americans thought like you, this country wouldn't be such a mess.

Old 08-01-2015, 02:59 PM

25,556 posts, read 23,980,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southphillyitaliana View Post
What exactly is wrong with renting? Don't any of you prospective homeowners understand that even if you "buy" a house you're still actually renting it from the bank, and they can take it away from you when you can't pay for it anymore? You all need to get past this idea that you actually "own" things in this country. Unless you've saved up every penny for your fancy house or your hot wheels, you don't actually own it.
If you don't pay taxes the government will seize your house. When you own a home u effectively just have a long term lease. but having this long term lease can be a valuable asset in your investment portfolio.

Old 07-26-2020, 02:09 PM

22 posts, read 7,917 times
Unhappy Senior Living in California

California is difficult for seniors on a fixed income. Health insurance is a must; We moved to Florida just to make ends meet. The retirement dream is not always what is seems.

Old 07-27-2020, 03:16 PM

3,941 posts, read 6,727,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villagerbb View Post
California is difficult for seniors on a fixed income. Health insurance is a must; We moved to Florida just to make ends meet. The retirement dream is not always what is seems.

That last line is a mouthful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Los Angeles